The Student Room Group

Been caught speeding, what're the outcomes?

Hey all,

I passed last July and today was driving back from Aberystwyth when I was clocked (so I think) by a police van with two speeding camera signs on it, then looking back in my mirror two tinted black windows, but out of one of those windows had a camera pointing out. I was doing roughly 40/41 in a 30 and I've accepted now there's no excuses. Absolutely worried now though, I never go over the limit, obviously today I did!

Will it just be a fixed penalty notice and 3 points or because it's my first offence get a fine and speed awareness course?

Thanks guys
Reply 1
For that speed i don't think you will get a speed awareness course most likely 3 points and a fine.
Could just be ANPR to be honest. What do you mean by 'speeding camera' signs, I was under the impression that the standard 'camera' signs could represent either speeding or ANPR. If you're lucky (provided you have insurance, tax and MOT), yours may just have been ANPR!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joeey009
For that speed i don't think you will get a speed awareness course most likely 3 points and a fine.

Depends on the difference between indicated speed and actual speed. 40 indicated might just be on the top edge of speed awareness course. I've passed one doing 35 on my speedo and didn't hear anything, but in reality I was doing 31 or 32 so below the normal limit for taking action.
That's not saying they can't do you for the full fine and 3 points at 31. As Captain Barbossa would say, they are guidelines, not actual rules.
Reply 4
I thought that if you took the speeding awareness course they didn't issue you with 3 points?
Reply 5
Original post by JoeHz
I thought that if you took the speeding awareness course they didn't issue you with 3 points?

They don't.
Reply 6
Thanks for replies. Had nothing so far so just a game of wait and see at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending