The Student Room Group

Have you ever had a copycat friend/person, who copied everything you do/wear/say?

You know, you buy a T-shirt, they run out and buy the same T-shirt. You start a new hobby, they start the same hobby. Then they even start talking like you, using your catch phrases, making gestures like you until it becomes weird, unbearable and very annoying. Have you ever been in such a situation? If yes, what did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
You know, you buy a T-shirt, they run out and buy the same T-shirt. You start a new hobby, they start the same hobby. Then they even start talking like you, using your catch phrases, making gestures like you until it becomes weird, unbearable and very annoying. Have you ever been in such a situation? If yes, what did you do?

Let them sleep with the fishes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you're not looking into a mirror.

I had a friend who was sort of like this. I thought she was hilarious, to be honest.
I laughed. :lol: I found it funny at the time.
Reply 4
It feels like they are stealing your identity.

You're still an individual, no matter how many people copy you.

You're being insecure.
My cousin did it sometimes, but I don't blame him.
I think most people do at a time.

I found it annoying, but then again, I was about 14. If it was now (I'm 20) I'd just find it hilarious.
Reply 8
I haven't had this, seeing as I have no friends.
Original post by Superman.
I haven't had this, seeing as I have no friends.

But you're Superman :sad:
Imitation is the highest form of flattery
Original post by *Dreaming*
Imitation is the highest form of flattery

It's not flattering, it's annoying.
I haven't had it to this extent lmao but I know (god not trying to brag) but I have a lot of hair and style it in a pompadour a lot so I get a lot of undesired attention; I can't help how much hair God gave me, it's not intended attention. I also have a pretty nice wardrobe though I like vintage thrift shops as opposed to buying something solely because it is hanging in a window. However, vintage is the "style" now so I tend to be in unison with fashion. Point is, I get compliments from strangers and random ppl about my looks and when I do my hair, right?, I'll come in and people either kiss my butt or give me mean faces. Then they turn around and come in the next day with the same hairstyle only not quite as nicely because they might add weave and it looks bad or they don't have enough hair to do the hump on my head =\

It's hard to notice people copying off of you as well with how you dress b/c they could've bought it as well sometime :erm: but the thing that really gets me is in the middle of convo they say what I say after I say it =\ Laugh after I laugh, I've had people call my name just to show me they're laughing. :mute: I also remember telling a story about something with a strange bloke to an ex- mate and I remember saying, "Ooooh my God, Malina, I was SOOOO scared." Then sometime soon after she told a story about a strange bloke and said, "Oooooh my God, [my name] I was SOOOO scared." I ignored it but whatever lol Stuff like that happens a lot. I say something funny or passionately and someone copies...
Yup. And I found it extremely irritating, I wasn't flattered in any way! Looking back, it's pretty funny but I wasn't amused at the time :lol:
Reply 14
I have a friend who does this and I personally find it annoying because I have always been quite shy. Recently I've started to grow as a person and come out of my shell, and when she acts so similarly to me I just tend to retreat back into myself as there's not enough room for us both, and she's more confident than me.

I felt like that when one of my classmates copied my handwriting three or four years ago (she used to sit next to me in my French class). I saw that one of her teachers had taken a photo of her handwriting and posted it on a billboard for everyone to see. When I saw it, I screamed: "She bloody stole my handwriting!!! :rant:" in front of my bemused classmates. I was even angrier because she was my bully at the time.

I don't know why I felt like I'd had a part of my identity stolen. I guess it's because I'd been told that every person's handwriting is unique, as is their identity. Looking back on it now, I just laugh. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)

Yes cant do anything

My worst thing is that she copies my ideas and use it around others and people react to it as if it came from her
I was at a uni formal last year with mainly American and some international students and I wore a fascinator...at the next formal, countless girls were wearing fascinators too. It was funny!
Original post by Anonymousmouse
I was at a uni formal last year with mainly American and some international students and I wore a fascinator...at the next formal, countless girls were wearing fascinators too. It was funny!

It wasn't a pink, bow-shaped fascinator with white dots, was it...?
Original post by Plumstone
It wasn't a pink, bow-shaped fascinator with white dots, was it...?

Nope! Mine was black :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending