The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AJeeeee
Its so hard these days since everyone has completely different opinions. But imo i think that UCL was really nice, they have they own little hall that is 6 mins away from UCL main campus but that is quite nice since you dont have to run all around campus to go to lectures and stuffs. Also, the staff were really nice and it seems like a good place to study Pharmacy =) Also have a 100% employment rate and that shows that it is actually quite decent.

Do u no how many drop outs they had? I know when I went to kings they said tht they had 30 people drop altogether by the fourth year...tht was one of the reason i was put off.
Original post by ankitaa123
Hey, just wondering what the accomodation is like in halls like James Watson? :smile:

James Watson is lovely, right in the centre of everything but it's in high demand and some of the people who move into James Watson do take advantage of it's "niceness" - be sure to set ground rules with your flat ages if you decide to live there :smile:
Word of advice, don't be fooled by the employment rate, it may be high but so many people drop out of pharmacy because they can't handle it anymore or failed, that high employment rate may be 98% out of a graduating class of 60/50 :smile:
Original post by pharmacywhy
Hey, did you have an interview for Nottingham? If so, do you have any tips? I have a skype interview soon and I am a bit stressed..

Thanks in advance

You're the same as me ~ I have the interview in several hours, and its over skype with Notts. Do you know what they're gna ask?
Original post by pharmacywhy
Hey, did you have an interview for Nottingham? If so, do you have any tips? I have a skype interview soon and I am a bit stressed..

Thanks in advance

Original post by ShaniquaBiggums
You're the same as me ~ I have the interview in several hours, and its over skype with Notts. Do you know what they're gna ask?

Hiya! I don't want to sugar coat my interview experience, and honestly it was tough compared to other interviews I had. The interview is divided into many stations and each station has about 3-4 questions that you have to answer. You're given some time to think about your answers before you start speaking. I couldn't quite recall the exact questions, but here are some things that they asked:

-a little bit about yourself, why do you want to study pharmacy
Tips: just be yourself and down to earth, you may think that you have an odd interest in something but it's ok to share it with the interviewer, it's better to make an impression on the interviewer rather than just list out all the achievements you have done, unless it's some kind of work experience that you want to share.

-your knowledge on the different roles of a pharmacist (hospital, community and industrial), and also your thoughts on how you think these roles would change in the future.
Tips: do some research before your interview to learn about different types of pharmacists; also study the current situation of pharmacists and its relation to other healthcare professionals (doctors, nurses etc) in the current healthcare system. (E.g. my country currently still holds a hierarchy system in hospitals, where doctors still hold the authority over pharmacists, and pharmacists cannot independently prescribe.) Talk about how this current situation could change in the future. One more tip is to think more globally, to show that you're not only limited to the situation you are in. Think of different groups of people in need in the society, as well as people in different countries (developed, developing, high-income, low-income etc)

-a scenario with 3 follow up questions: you would be asked to list out all possible actions that one could take and then you will be asked to choose what actions you would personally take for the scenario
Tip: think out of the box

-science-related/pharmacy questions, the questions are simple and around form 4 (Grade 10) level. Just try to recall what you have learnt in school and you will be fine.

I should also mention that there is a maths and chemistry test near the end of the interview. But since you two are having interviews on skype, I assume there isn't one? I'm not so sure about this one.

I apologise for the long post but hopefully this will give you guys more confidence in your interviews :smile: Remember to smile and try to remain calm. Good luck!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by James_Exn
Got an offer from Nottingham and UEA, both are schools that I want to go to. What is the lifestyle and teaching method like in both unis? Would appreciate it if someone could briefly talk about it :smile:

Congrats on your offers! When did you have your interview for Nottingham? I'm asking because I had mine on 28 Jan and they said they'd get back to me in March

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shatmypants
Congrats on your offers! When did you have your interview for Nottingham? I'm asking because I had mine on 28 Jan and they said they'd get back to me in March

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my interview on 23 Jan and received an offer on 4 March.
I had my interview on 23 Jan and received an offer on 4 March.

Thanks for letting me know! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi guys has anyone had an interview with John moores if so what was it like? Have mine on the 18th of March
Kingston interview
Any advice could be very helpful.
thanks in advance
Original post by temi.h.o.
James Watson is lovely, right in the centre of everything but it's in high demand and some of the people who move into James Watson do take advantage of it's "niceness" - be sure to set ground rules with your flat ages if you decide to live there :smile:

Thank you so much! I did see a James Watson room on the applicant day very briefly and it was quite run down in terms of the room and shared kitchen but as you said it may have been people taking advantage as this seemed like a guys room so it can vary
have the people who got put on hold for nottingham found out yet?
the wait is killing me!
Original post by bryonyrachel97
have the people who got put on hold for nottingham found out yet?
the wait is killing me!

I think Nottingham had another set of interviews last week so are probably deciding from that. When I went to visit there last week (I got an offer back in Dec and firmed it) that's what a Pharmacy tutor said so I hope that's helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya! I don't want to sugar coat my interview experience, and honestly it was tough compared to other interviews I had. The interview is divided into many stations and each station has about 3-4 questions that you have to answer. You're given some time to think about your answers before you start speaking. I couldn't quite recall the exact questions, but here are some things that they asked:

-a little bit about yourself, why do you want to study pharmacy
Tips: just be yourself and down to earth, you may think that you have an odd interest in something but it's ok to share it with the interviewer, it's better to make an impression on the interviewer rather than just list out all the achievements you have done, unless it's some kind of work experience that you want to share.

-your knowledge on the different roles of a pharmacist (hospital, community and industrial), and also your thoughts on how you think these roles would change in the future.
Tips: do some research before your interview to learn about different types of pharmacists; also study the current situation of pharmacists and its relation to other healthcare professionals (doctors, nurses etc) in the current healthcare system. (E.g. my country currently still holds a hierarchy system in hospitals, where doctors still hold the authority over pharmacists, and pharmacists cannot independently prescribe.) Talk about how this current situation could change in the future. One more tip is to think more globally, to show that you're not only limited to the situation you are in. Think of different groups of people in need in the society, as well as people in different countries (developed, developing, high-income, low-income etc)

-a scenario with 3 follow up questions: you would be asked to list out all possible actions that one could take and then you will be asked to choose what actions you would personally take for the scenario
Tip: think out of the box

-science-related/pharmacy questions, the questions are simple and around form 4 (Grade 10) level. Just try to recall what you have learnt in school and you will be fine.

I should also mention that there is a maths and chemistry test near the end of the interview. But since you two are having interviews on skype, I assume there isn't one? I'm not so sure about this one.

I apologise for the long post but hopefully this will give you guys more confidence in your interviews :smile: Remember to smile and try to remain calm. Good luck!!

Thank you so much really. You are my hero hahaha !
I really appreciate the time it took you to write this :')
Thanks again...
I have only received offers from Reading and UCL and I recently had my interview in King's so if you need any information just tell me :smile:
ahhh just got into UCL :smile: anyone studying there at the moment and could tell me about the course structure and life in london? Is it super super challenging studying at UCL? what is the support from teachers like?
Original post by BlairCWaldorf
ahhh just got into UCL :smile: anyone studying there at the moment and could tell me about the course structure and life in london? Is it super super challenging studying at UCL? what is the support from teachers like?

Congrats :smile:
I can't help much with your qs but just letting you know that UCL should send you an invitation for an open day where you can find out more about the course if no one can answer your question on here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bittenapple
Got a group interview at Kingston tomorrow, any last minute tips? D: Had my King's interview on Wednesday, I ran out of time on the OSCE questions and didn't exactly speak as much as the others in my group during the ethical debate fml T^T

Hi,have you heard back from Kings?what is the ethical debate like please?I have my interview 2 weeks time.How many questions were asked during the group interview and is there any one to one interview?your response would be much appreciated.Thanks
Original post by bittenapple
Got a group interview at Kingston tomorrow, any last minute tips? D: Had my King's interview on Wednesday, I ran out of time on the OSCE questions and didn't exactly speak as much as the others in my group during the ethical debate fml T^T

Hi , hope your interview went well , I've got a kingston interview next week could you please advice me how was the interview ? What question they were ask?
Thanks a lot in advance !!!
Original post by beansontoast92
Congrats :smile:
I can't help much with your qs but just letting you know that UCL should send you an invitation for an open day where you can find out more about the course if no one can answer your question on here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Oh right fair enough. Assuming this isnt anything formal since I've already recieved my offer :smile:
Original post by BlairCWaldorf
Thank you! Oh right fair enough. Assuming this isnt anything formal since I've already recieved my offer :smile:

I haven't been to one but I've heard it's not formal. It's just to see the uni and talk to people about the course etc so you're more informed before you make your final decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending