The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me with my (rather!) embarassing male hairspray problem?

Hey folks

I've gotten myself into a bit of a hair related conundrum recently :P Essentially, my hair is kind of similar to this guy here from The Horrors

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Faris+Badwan+Wireless+Festival+2011+Day+3+Hr4icFG6hI6l.jpg

My problem is that no matter what hairspray I use, I can't seem to keep the style in place. Either it just blows all over the place as soon as a bit of wind comes along, or just goes all frizzy when it is hot outside. Am I doing it wrong? Are there any particular brands that I should be using, or perhaps I should be using additional products in combination with hairspray?

Apologies for offloading this rather banal problem onto your good selves, but I'd appreciate some help here

Many thanks! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
What are you trying to do with your hair? Are you trying to keep it up or are you trying to keep it flat like in that photo? Hairspray will weigh your hair down, which is why I'd only recommend using it to smooth over quiffs / after teasing hair.
To keep your hair up, use a VO5 wax or gel. Gel will leave your hair noticably stiff, but it's good for keeping it in place. Wax is more gentle and should be used when males quiff their hair.
To keep your hair flat like in the photo without it flying about, try a hair balm/cream or mousse - these are generally more sticky, but dry up quickly and help to tame the hair and keep it flat.
Nice hair!

Its going to take more than a bit of hairspray to tame that, and if you have hair prone to frizz in hot conditions then you will either have to learn to live with it , get a cut, or start using different products.

personal opinion is that hairspray on a guy is not that cool, the look is wrong. I think you'd be far better using a product earlier in the process, like when your hair is still damp.

My advice would be to book yourself in for a trim at a unisex salon, tell them you want some styling advice, watch and listen when they dry it, ask questions. They will be helpful and give you the advice you need, thats their field of expertise!
Reply 3
Original post by Petulia
What are you trying to do with your hair? Are you trying to keep it up or are you trying to keep it flat like in that photo? Hairspray will weigh your hair down, which is why I'd only recommend using it to smooth over quiffs / after teasing hair.
To keep your hair up, use a VO5 wax or gel. Gel will leave your hair noticably stiff, but it's good for keeping it in place. Wax is more gentle and should be used when males quiff their hair.
To keep your hair flat like in the photo without it flying about, try a hair balm/cream or mousse - these are generally more sticky, but dry up quickly and help to tame the hair and keep it flat.

Thanks for the quick reply - I should have been clearer in stating that I want to keep the hair flat like in the photo. Would you suggest applying the mousse just after blow drying the hair, and then applying hairspray for a further hold? I apologise for my complete lack of understanding on this issue!
Reply 4
Original post by Message
Thanks for the quick reply - I should have been clearer in stating that I want to keep the hair flat like in the photo. Would you suggest applying the mousse just after blow drying the hair, and then applying hairspray for a further hold? I apologise for my complete lack of understanding on this issue!

Keep away from hairspray!! You should know by now from experience that it doesn't have much effect on taming hair - it can only tame flyaways and help maintain smoothness / a good shape on quiffed hair.
Frequent blow drying is one of the reasons why you're having issues with frizz. After washing your hair, finish with a cold water rinse, because this closes the cuticle and basically makes your hair shiny. Also, use a conditioner (on the ends of your hair only - putting it on your scalp will cause grease) and then rinse it out just once. Leaving a bit of conditioner in your hair will help to keep it moisturised and less frizzy.
While your hair is wet, gently comb it so that it's flat and so that your fringe doesn't dry into an awkward curl / wave. This would be the time to add mousse (while your hair is damp) - rub it into your hands first, and then just apply to the hair all over (staying away from the scalp, again). Apply more once it's dry. Girls use mousse for curls, but I've found that it's good for keeping hair in place without making it stiff like gel. Most VO5 products are unisex, so try one of their mousses (it should be one of the pink bottles though).

Quick Reply

Latest