The Student Room Group

Living at home/Living away from home - mature student

Hi, I'm due to start an undergraduate degree as a mature student (31) in a couple of months. Months back I applied to student finance as 'living at home' due to living alone in small flat - about 20 minutes from the uni - that I've rented for quite some time.

My income is relatively low and my finance total comes to just over £6,000 per annum. I've realised that a student can receive just over £7,000 in grant + loan should they live elsewhere during term time. Now as I've never earned 21 grand anyway and compared to other loans I'd prefer to borrow the highest amount.

I was thinking about reassessing as 'living away from home address', but that would be a lie. At the same time I'm in the same position as an 18 year old living away from their parents. A harder predicament some would argue, as they could have their folks making up the shortfall.

I don't like to be dishonest on applications, yet how questions are structured doesn't make it very helpful for anybody applying over the age of say 21!

Any help is much appreciated
Reply 1
Notwithstanding the morality of your "preference" for having more money than you're entitled to because you reckon you'll never repay it...

When living away from home, you have to give both term-time and vacation addresses in your SF application. How will you do that?

You aren't in the same position as an 18 year old living away from their parents. You're an independent mature adult and you have been for many years. I applied for SF as a 44 year old and I didn't have any trouble answering the questions honestly.
Original post by Klix88
Notwithstanding the morality of your "preference" for having more money than you're entitled to because you reckon you'll never repay it...

When living away from home, you have to give both term-time and vacation addresses in your SF application. How will you do that?

You aren't in the same position as an 18 year old living away from their parents. You're an independent mature adult and you have been for many years. I applied for SF as a 44 year old and I didn't have any trouble answering the questions honestly.

I don't know why you hint at a moral argument or inclination to commit some kind of deception. All I am looking for is the total amount I am legally entitled to as a single person over the age of 25 and on a lowish (soon to be part time) income. As I'm doing a degree to enter into a new profession with a salary above the threshold I'm sure I'll pay back quite a bit. Don't see why trying to live as comfortable as possible is immoral. Especially as 25k is a lot of money to me, hence taking student loan from that salary isn't a big deal to me personally. All irrelevant anyway. We all have different views, but my view is to struggle the least possible whilst not breaking the law.

Getting back to the subject. This is where it gets more complicated. The change of circumstances form appears to be less vague in the fact it states: where will you live during academic year? A) LIVING WITH PARENTS; B) ELSEWHERE OR OWN HOME. This perhaps contradicts the online application which states at home or away. I'll find out though.

I think I'll send that with the 'elsewhere or own home' boxes ticked and see how this effects my total loan. If I'm not entitled to the maximum loan then fair enough, but if I am then I wish to use it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending