The Student Room Group

Multiple Student Bank Accounts 2014/15

Since some student account T&Cs don't necessarily stop you from having more than one student account(i.e. by saying a certain amount has to be paid in each term), I'm interested in opening more than one (Yes I'm good with managing money).
So i was wondering to know if anybody else is also doing this and can give me a few pointers.
Also I've already done a research on potential student and saving accounts but it would be helpful if you could tell me which ones you're using as well.
Cheers.
Moved to Money and Finance
Reply 2
Sorry totally new here.
I was just looking into deleting it and posting a new one under this topic.
Reply 3
Original post by dynostatic
Since some student account T&Cs don't necessarily stop you from having more than one student account(i.e. by saying a certain amount has to be paid in each term), I'm interested in opening more than one (Yes I'm good with managing money).
So i was wondering to know if anybody else is also doing this and can give me a few pointers.
Also I've already done a research on potential student and saving accounts but it would be helpful if you could tell me which ones you're using as well.
Cheers.

There's no secret or anything behind it. You just literally apply.

I've got 2 Student Accounts open where I'm getting perks/overdrafts and I may open another.
Reply 4
Original post by OllieDS
There's no secret or anything behind it. You just literally apply.

I've got 2 Student Accounts open where I'm getting perks/overdrafts and I may open another.

Nice one, do you have to shuffle your funds around from one account to another ?
and also can i ask which two you're using atm.
cheers :smile:
Reply 5
Nice one, do you have to shuffle your funds around from one account to another ?
and also can i ask which two you're using atm.

Don't really have to do much shuffling, just make sure you have typically £500 in each every term. It's incredibly easy as long as you get Online Banking on all of them.

I have a Santander Account = 4 Year Railcard (Amazing) + £1,500 overdraft.

I also have a Natwest Account = Tastecard (50% off food almost everywhere) + £2,000 overdraft.

I definitely suggest these two!
I've got a Barclays student account and I'm planning on upgrading my Santander one as well before I go uni. The Santander one will probably be my main account that loans are paid into

Check out TSR Movie Madness
Reply 7
yeah.... I've got Santander and Natwest on my list but very tempted to open an account with Halifax too, as the overdraft can go up to £3000.
might have to do it in the second term though, don't want to ruin my credit score.
Reply 8
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I've got a Barclays student account and I'm planning on upgrading my Santander one as well before I go uni. The Santander one will probably be my main account that loans are paid into

hows Barclays customer service ?
heard bad reviews from people.
also was the agreed overdrafts (the full amount after money was paid in) accessible from the first term ?

hows Barclays customer service ?
heard bad reviews from people.
also was the agreed overdrafts (the full amount after money was paid in) accessible from the first term ?

Haven't actually had money paid in yet so can't answer that second question but I was told that you'd have to arrange the overdraft with the bank after it's been paid in so like they'd call you

Costumer service for me has always been great, much better than Santander IMO. I haven't had a problem that they couldn't sort out

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Haven't actually had money paid in yet so can't answer that second question but I was told that you'd have to arrange the overdraft with the bank after it's been paid in so like they'd call you

Costumer service for me has always been great, much better than Santander IMO. I haven't had a problem that they couldn't sort out

Ahh ok ...thanks. I'm only getting the Santander one for the railcard :biggrin: TBH.
BTW I thought you needed to have a confirmed place from your Uni in order to open an account. Unless of course you have an unconditional offer.
Reply 11
If you touch your overdraft does it affect your credit score? Sorry I'm really ignorant in this area...
Original post by Faye_m
If you touch your overdraft does it affect your credit score? Sorry I'm really ignorant in this area...

Not as long as you pay it back in time, even if you max out the full amount every year.:smile:
Original post by Faye_m

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, well at least not negatively. As long as you don't go over your arranged overdraft and keep money coming in as well as out, you should be fine

Ahh ok ...thanks. I'm only getting the Santander one for the railcard :biggrin: TBH.
BTW I thought you needed to have a confirmed place from your Uni in order to open an account. Unless of course you have an unconditional offer.

Yeah same, plus I've been with them since they were abbey national so it'll be effort finding another bank- I think their student account is quite decent. And nah I went in the day after my 18th and just upgraded the account. You need your ucas letter telling them you have an offer and you've firmed it and ID

Any thoughts on the HSBC student account ?
Kinda related question. I already got a student bank account with RBS and an overdraft with them. Can i open another account now with santander or someone else and get an overdraft? I checked with santander on their website and it says you need to be just starting first year?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but if they ask you "do you already have a student account?" Which they probably will.you may have to not tell the truth if you want a second account.

My advice: try doing it online anyway, you dont have anything to lose.
Reply 17
I have a student account with one bank and tried opening a student account with another today. Firstly make sure both banks aint in the same banking group because they will share information and find you out straight away. Secondly try and open both accounts near enough the same time. If you open one first year then try open another 6+ months, you could get found out when they ask for proof (bank statement) showing if you have another student account or not. If you manage to open two account, you should be find as long as you following the terms of the account by putting money in and out.
Reply 18
Whats stopping me opening accounts with every bank then declaring bankruptcy when I leave Uni as poor student with no possessions/property?
Original post by LFC5X
Whats stopping me opening accounts with every bank then declaring bankruptcy when I leave Uni as poor student with no possessions/property?

Youd have to prove it. HSBC wouldnt let me open a student account it seemed, so I opened another with Santander

Santander: Do you have another student account elsewhere
Me: No

I definitely dont have a £2000 OD at the Co-Op bank, that I then threw in to TSB to make me 5%/year :biggrin:

So... free £2000 and another free £1500 from Santander

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending