The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Modules + Other Questions

Ok, basically I need some advice on my modules! I'm Comb Arts, so I've decided to take 2 English + 2 French + 1 (compulsory) Arts Module + 1 History. Basically my questions are about English and History: has anyone got any advice about intro to drama/novel/poetry?

Also, out of History, these are the modules I would be interested in:
1181 Crisis, Progress, Power: The United States C 1896-1945
1261 Modernity Crisis and Destruction: Europe 1870- 1945
1281 Wars and Welfare: English Society since 1900
1351 Society and culture in early modern France
1361 Enslavement, exclusion, asismilation: the great racial dilemma in C19th America.

I'm mostly interested in the American history, to draw links with American literature of the time. Any advice on teaching/lecture quality on the above that might give me some guidance will be much appreciated :smile: Basically my problem is that there are just too many modules, not enough spaces and I want to be totally unrealistic and do a triple degree (!) :rolleyes:

Other Questions:
1) I have bought a laptop, will I have to pay to access the internet in my college (or in this case society)?
2) What is Durham's policy on students sitting in on other lectures? For instance, I'm really interested in module 1031 for English- Classical and Biblical background to literature, but as a Comb Arts student I'm not able to take this module.
3) In Fresher's Week will there be a second hand booksale and how good is it normally- ie: lots of texts or is it only small?
4) How many formals are held at St Cuths per term?

Thankyou in advance, I know it's death by questions! :biggrin:
Have absolutely no idea about the english/history stuff, i am a physicist myself. Might be able to answer the general questions though

1) yes, but it is included in your accommodation fee which you have to pay anyway
2) erm, not sure really. Some lectures have a register and some don't. Sitting in on a physics lecture (I know what your thinking but this is hypothetical) wouldn't be a problem since there are 200+ people in the room. An english lecture with a smaller number and possible register may be different. Just try it and see if you get away with it
3) older students sometimes sell books but it is usually done privately rather than in a giant book sale. Check notice boards when you get there for notes about books for sale
4) absolutely not a clue, but there are many cuthsters about on here

any other questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I would just like to say, Wooooo, another Cuthsmonster! You don't pay anything more for your internet access than you would if you didn't use it. I really can't see why they'd object to you sitting in on another lecture though. I mean, it's not as if you're stealing education or that it would affect any of the people there anyway. Also, even if it's not allowed, noone official is going to notice an extra body in the room if the lecture's over 20 people anyway, so go for it!
Reply 3
Formals....ummmmmmmmm....about 6 per term? I think.....not really too sure on that though, sorry! Enough though!:smile:

Latest