The Student Room Group

Biology or Geography?

I've been looking at university courses for ages now, and I still have no idea what I want to do and I'm getting stressed out because I really need to start writing my personal statement soon. Currently my A levels are Biology, Maths, Geography and Chemistry (Which I am 99% sure I have failed)

I really like human biology type subjects, but I also love physical geography. I found a course at UCL that does a course that I could combine the 2, Natural Sciences Bsc. However the entry requirements are reeaaallly high (A*AA-AAA) Until I get my AS results I have no idea if i can get anywhere near that, so I obviously have to think of back ups. But there aren't many place that do degrees that combine biology and physical geography in the way that I want, so I have no idea what to look at for my back up options. I could go into just geography, or biomedical sciences (which I won't actually be able to do because I failed chemistry) or else just biology. How do I chose, between the 2, and if I do apply to say natural sciences and biology, which one would my personal statement have to orientate towards??

Thankss
Reply 1
How about Geology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
How much does geology have to do with biology?? And which aspects of biology?
Reply 3
There are a couple of lower-ranked unis that do natural sciences as well- so it's not just UCL. Beyond that, maybe something like Earth Sciences, which would be more science-orientated than other geography courses.

A couple of unis also combine biology and geography- like St Andrews and Keele, so that might be worth considering as well.

In terms of choosing between the two, can you think of a career you want to do in the future that would require either? Is there also one which you enjoy more? In terms of your PS- you could make it more biology focused for natural sciences but you would have to incorporate other aspects too
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Can you give me the names of a few of those other universities that do natural sciences please? I live right near london and would personally love to move out, but I don't think my parents would let me, so that's a concern for me when looking at unis.

I'll look into earth sciences, but I'm just thinking it might not have enough biology.

Career wise I don't really know what I want to do exactly, but I see myself working in a lab, or doing some sort of research based job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending