The Student Room Group

Canadian student who needs some advice!

Hello everyone,
I have been accepted for Masters at the following schools:

University of Portsmouth- Crime Science, Investigation and Intelligence
University of Leicester - Terrorism, Security and Policing
University of Salford - Intelligence and Security Studies,Terrorism and Security

And I am waiting to here back from:

University of Essex - Organised Crime, Terrorism and Security
UCL - Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism

After I complete my postgrad I want to work at an Intelligence Agency such as CSIS. I was wondering if anyone has taken/taking any of these courses, is working in the intelligence field, or if anyone can provide any feedback at all for any of these universities that will help me choose which university I will be attending in September.

Hellllllp haha!
UCL is probably the better Uni out of these but ultimately you need to decide which course content will interest you the most.

Just be aware that the courses here - despite being about 'international' issues - will be geared towards Britain and will be mostly about British crime, British policing, British organised crime and Terrorism from a British point of view. How useful is that going to be to you outside Britain? And how difficult will you find it studying an unfamiliar police/security situation - ie. will the lack of background knowledge mean you actually havnt got a clue what tutors/students are talking about? If you want to work for CSIS then surely an American degree will be a great deal more useful. It might sound exciting 'studying in Britain', but if you cant actually use the knowledge you've gained here in any other situation, why bother?

If you want to work for CSIS, what Masters degree (and from where) do they prefer applicants to have - I suggest you find out before your waste time/money doing a degree that doesn't help you get the position you ultimately want. British Unis wont care that their course is inappropriate for your needs - all they are interested in is your cheque book. Sorry to sound very negative, but I've watched too many overseas students, who havn't thought this out properly, get taken for a ride. And in case you are assuming that a British degree will help you get a job here - it wont. Those days (if they ever existed) are long gone. Your chances of getting a work visa on graduation are effectively zero.
(edited 9 years ago)
There is a distinct range of quality of universities there. UCL, Essex and Leicester rank in the level of good to great universities. Portsmouth is fine and Salford really doesn't have a great reputation.
Salford does have a good reputation and for technical and vocational subjects in particular, and in academic circles would certainly be seen on a level with Portsmouth.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
UCL is probably the better Uni out of these but ultimately you need to decide which course content will interest you the most.

Just be aware that the courses here - despite being about 'international' issues - will be geared towards Britain and will be mostly about British crime, British policing, British organised crime and Terrorism from a British point of view. How useful is that going to be to you outside Britain? And how difficult will you find it studying an unfamiliar police/security situation - ie. will the lack of background knowledge mean you actually havnt got a clue what tutors/students are talking about? If you want to work for CSIS then surely an American degree will be a great deal more useful. It might sound exciting 'studying in Britain', but if you cant actually use the knowledge you've gained here in any other situation, why bother?

If you want to work for CSIS, what Masters degree (and from where) do they prefer applicants to have - I suggest you find out before your waste time/money doing a degree that doesn't help you get the position you ultimately want. British Unis wont care that their course is inappropriate for your needs - all they are interested in is your cheque book. Sorry to sound very negative, but I've watched too many overseas students, who havn't thought this out properly, get taken for a ride. And in case you are assuming that a British degree will help you get a job here - it wont. Those days (if they ever existed) are long gone. Your chances of getting a work visa on graduation are effectively zero.

@retunimgrant - Hi,

I see you've got some great advice, can you help me please!

I want to apply on the course (MSc Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism) for 2015/2016. Would you recommend it? Alternative course? Or institution? Are there contacts with external agencies valuable?

Thank you, ever so much.

Thank You.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending