The Student Room Group

What happens when you get braces?

Hi,I've just been told I need braces. Unfortunately I have quite bad top set with two misshaped eyeteeth and overcrowding. Bottom set are ok but will probs need it for shorter than top.

What happens?

Thanks
Original post by Twerk and die
Hi,I've just been told I need braces. Unfortunately I have quite bad top set with two misshaped eyeteeth and overcrowding. Bottom set are ok but will probs need it for shorter than top.

What happens?

Thanks

This will probably explain things better than me: http://www.oralb.com/embraceit/getting-braces-put-on

Ignore the fact that it said 1-2 hours to put on, it took like 15 minutes for me (I have a few friends who also have braces and took the same amount of time)

So basically, they just:
- Clean the teeth
- Put brackets onto your teeth
- And place the wire attached to the brackets with elastic bands

It doesn't really hurt when they put them on.
But it hurts the day after (did for me anyway) and you may be unable to eat some foods too.
If it really hurts, you could try paracetamol (or whatever your dentist/orthodontist recommends)
The brackets cause mouth sores but they give you wax for this.

That's it really :smile:
Original post by Black Rose
This will probably explain things better than me: http://www.oralb.com/embraceit/getting-braces-put-on

Ignore the fact that it said 1-2 hours to put on, it took like 15 minutes for me (I have a few friends who also have braces and took the same amount of time)

So basically, they just:
- Clean the teeth
- Put brackets onto your teeth
- And place the wire attached to the brackets with elastic bands

It doesn't really hurt when they put them on.
But it hurts the day after (did for me anyway) and you may be unable to eat some foods too.
If it really hurts, you could try paracetamol (or whatever your dentist/orthodontist recommends)
The brackets cause mouth sores but they give you wax for this.

That's it really :smile:

Thanks,how long did you have them in for? And how often do you get them tightened.
I've had mine for 3ish months, and I basically agree with everything the other person said.. I've had mine tightened about every 6 weeks but the time gets shortened after a while and it also depends on what they're doing to your teeth - some people need specific things not just straightening.

Also random tip- I would get silver or bright coloured bands if you have a choice, clear or white go yellow really easily! And don't eat curry if you can help it as it dyes your bands and that is not a great look aha.

Quick Reply

Latest