The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Or how about you blame neither until facts are known?

So no one is at fault then?

Clearly those who shot it down were negligent either way.

I guess you're right, the airline can't be blamed, but after the missing plane incident it doesn't look good for them.
Original post by Jordooooom
Well clearly the missiles can reach, or the plane was flying a lot lower than they should have. Either way I will continue to blame both the airlines and the forces that shot it down until more information is given.

This is like world power level of tech.... which point's to russia arming the rebels. Technically speaking they should not have been able to do it with what we knew until today.

And do you think it will remain common after this incident?

Of course it will be, anyone with equipment capable to shoot such jets down also have access to Air Traffic control system so they know what flights will be in the area. Yet more things to suggest the rebels did it.
So no one is at fault then?

Clearly those who shot it down were negligent either way.

I guess you're right, the airline can't be blamed, but after the missing plane incident it doesn't look good for them.

I didn't say that, but clearly no-one knows who's at fault yet, so jumping to the blame game is moronic. To know who to blame we have to know what went wrong.

Nobody knows what went wrong yet.
Reply 23
****, that is not good. I wonder what side did it? I suppose it is probably the rebels as the government have little reason to target planes as the rebels lack an air force (as far as I know).
Brought down by a surface to air missile according to the Ukrainian interior ministry.

Someone really, really ****ed up.
Original post by Drewski
I didn't say that, but clearly no-one knows who's at fault yet, so jumping to the blame game is moronic. To know who to blame we have to know what went wrong.

Nobody knows what went wrong yet.

We know that it was shot down. And reports all point to it being the rebels thus far if you had been keeping track.
We know that it was shot down. And reports all point to it being the rebels thus far.

No, we don't. We're assuming it was and some sketchy reports are saying it was, but that's not the same thing as knowing it was.
A plane travelling from London to Dubai wont get shot down, right? or at least wont cross Ukraine?
Original post by Pistol 33
A plane travelling from London to Dubai wont get shot down, right? or at least wont cross Ukraine?

No, just Iraq and Syria.
Reply 29
It's going to be a game changer over there if it was shot down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by DanB1991
At 30 thousand feet your "suppose" to be safe, even over warzones. Most AA guns and Anti-Aircraft missles can't even hit something that high. It's fairly common occurrence for airliners to fly at that height over warzones. Even then it's terrible to blame the airline or crew when you should be blaming those who shot it down.

As soon as you have one side with a trigger finger desperate to use their new tech supplied to them, well it's inevitable really.

It's not about new tech, it's about old tech. There are mountains of Soviet-era anti aircraft missiles about that have operation ceilings above 10,000m, and loads of people with nothing else to do except fire them. Half of these systems would never have seen the light of day in a proper shooting war, and have extremely crude search and tracking radars that just tell you that there's something there.

These aren't like Rapier and stuff, where you pile a few million quid into the R&D to make sure you don't shoot down any airliners. These things were designed in the 60s and 70s on a shoestring, and the designers were probably given a brief to make a radar guided missile end of.
Will Malaysian Airlines be able to stay in business after this & the missing flight ?

RIP to the innocent people on board & their families.
Reply 32
Well I think that if it was shot down,it was done by rebels,which are backed by Russia.And the World is still hesitating to take any serious action to stop it..
Reply 33
ohhhh **** the russians...
Original post by B-recipe
Well I think that if it was shot down,it was done by rebels,which are backed by Russia.And the World is still hesitating to take any serious action to stop it..

The Ukrainians are the only ones who have an obvious motive to shoot this plane down. I agree that the rebels are the most likely to have done this by accident but maybe you should cast a more impartial eye over this matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The poor friends and family of those aboard - what if some of them don't even know yet? It's the middle of the night over in Malaysia as it is!
As for the Dutch, has anybody heard any statement yet on the news? I can't say I've heard anything from any of the sources I've checked out (Russia Today, BBC, Sky News and Channel Five)
Original post by Pistol 33

No airline will be flying over Ukraine after this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
The Ukrainians are the only ones who have an obvious motive to shoot this plane down. I agree that the rebels are the most likely to have done this by accident but maybe you should cast a more impartial eye over this matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could bet that it wasnt done by ukrainians
It was obviously a russian missile. The plane was heading towards russian air space from ukraine. The russians also have a history of shooting down aircrafts.

The russians are yet to comment. Interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
The poor friends and family of those aboard - what if some of them don't even know yet?

The passengers are basically being ignored by the news agencies at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending