The Student Room Group

Liberal arts colleges & financial aid

Hi.

This is my aim: to achieve a first-class education as inexpensively as possible. With this in mind, it perhaps seems absurd that I'm considering application to American (liberal arts) colleges. However, I'm under the impression that it is possible for international students to receive financial aid. The few I've been in contact with thus far state their usual financial aid package for international students as somewhere in the region of $20,000, leaving $25,000 per annun (room, board, tuition, etc.) to be paid. I simply cannot afford this. Fortunately, I've also been led to believe that there are a few colleges that treat international students especially kindly and offer substantial aid packages.

Academically, I consider myself to be a strong candidate -- I have 10 A-stars at GCSE and 4 As at AS Level. Save for a bit of voluntary work in a charity shop and the odd part-time job, I'm comparatively weak on the extra-curricular things that seem to appeal to American universities. To complicate matters further, I've not sat any SAT tests (either the SAT I or SAT IIs). I only intend on sitting them if there is a reason (i.e. I find a college that appeals to me offering considerable financial assistance). I'm not sure how I would do in them (especially as I've not done Maths for almost two years "seriously") either.

My question as follows: can you recommend any colleges for me to consider?

Truthfully, I'm probably only considering this route because I've pretty much settled on where I'm applying to in the UK and have a few weeks to spare before I go back to school but, if I could find a really great college offering an exceptionally good financial aid package, I'd be very tempted to cross the Atlantic and go there!

Perhaps this is a terrible attitude but I don't want to bother if I have no chance of getting help to cover the exorbitant costs. It seems that, without eventual cost, college education in the USA would be about twice my family's income. :eek:

Input would be welcomed but this is just a vague (and very grand) idea that I'm toying with.
Reply 1
I know that I keep sounding like a broken record, but Earlham College in Richmond, IN has given quite substantial amounts to international students (in addition to being all-round wonderful!). Macalester also has a reputation for being very international, so it may be worth a look there. Check school's percentage of international students; the higher the number, the more I would suspect that money was offered. Also, try for the schools that are ranked a little lower. 1) Because rankings are stupid and 2) because those schools may be getting less interest from people who are applying from abroad and not considering a very wide range of schools.

As always, Loren Pope's books are a great guide. There's a website if you google "Colleges that Changes Lives." Yes, I know that's a cheesy title. Good luck!
I think you need to ask yourself what's more important: the university you attend, or the country in which you attend it.

If you come to the US, as Earlham said, you can find some small liberal arts colleges that will fund you. I'm sure they are great places and you get a lot of personal attention.

But with your academic record you could get into Oxbridge, which provides personal tuition through colleges and tutors. It would also be cheaper.
Personally I would not take a small LAC in the US over Oxbridge unless I completely was in love with it--which you wouldn't really know until you visit.

So, in sum--I think you should apply to some colleges in the US, and do UCAS as well. See what happens. Good luck!
I'd watch out for those liberal arts colleges if I was you. They sound weird.

Also I wouldn't specifically aim for places lower down in the rankings, that sounds like quite a silly plan. I'm guessing you've already looked at top universities like Harvard?
The Ace is Back
I'd watch out for those liberal arts colleges if I was you. They sound weird.

Also I wouldn't specifically aim for places lower down in the rankings, that sounds like quite a silly plan. I'm guessing you've already looked at top universities like Harvard?

What do you mean "they sound weird"? Top liberal arts colleges like Williams and Amherst are as prestigious and hard to get in as top Ivies.
Reply 5
I certainly aspire to study at Oxford, or a comparable university, but I understand that, despite my academic achievements thus far, competition for places is fierce. Perhaps then it makes little rhyme or reason to be considering competitive liberal arts colleges but I am working on the principle that I have to be lucky somewhere!

I've not really looked into the Ivy League universities seriously. In any case, Harvard's average international aid package, 2005-6, still leaves $63,400 worth of debt at the end of it four years. :eek: As I said previously, this isn't something I plan on pursuing unless it works out (substantially) cheaper than British education. A tall order indeed.

I'm quite interested in Williams and Amherst, jeffreyweingard.

My interest in American university education, however, is still very much in the airy fairy phase. :cool:
jeffreyweingard
What do you mean "they sound weird"? Top liberal arts colleges like Williams and Amherst are as prestigious and hard to get in as top Ivies.

I didn't say they're not prestigious, I said they sound like weird places. By this I mean.. well, weird. I imagine them to be these sort of happy clappy places where everyone shares that 'passion for life and learning'. Places like Harvard sound like the real deal - where you're not mollycoddled.
Reply 7
You want to go somewhere where people aren't passionate about life and learning? Sounds dull! :-)

Arrrgh, liberal arts colleges are amazing and wonderful and hard to explain when you've grown up without them, I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending