The Student Room Group

I'm going to study at a US University - Ask Me Anything!

Hi all!

So, as the title suggests, I'm going to be attending a US University this September.

I was actually originally admitted as a part of the Class of 2024, but due to COVID all of my classes were moved online. I tried first term remotely, but it didn't work out for me - so I took a gap year instead and will be restarting soon - my flight is booked for September 15th!

I've noticed that there are a lot of questions in this forum about studying in the US - and for general process questions, I have created this informational thread that should answer your questions. If you want to know more about me or my personal experiences with applying, my goals, or just want my favourite pizza topping - feel free to ask here! I hope to be a good resource for anyone else looking to attend university in the US.

Just a few quick FAQs with what I can see coming up:

Where are you going?
I will be attending Caltech.

What were your ECs/Stats?
ECs are a very personal thing, so my ECs (and the specific combination of them) are very unique to me. I was a part of my school's robotics club for 5 years, I did an unpaid internship with my local music school for 2 years, I play electric guitar, I have done volunteering at robotics events and science fairs for primary school pupils, I was on the Sutton Trust US Programme, and I helped students at my school prepare for their German GCSE exams when I was in Year 12.

Standardised tests are optional for the upcoming admissions cycle (at the time of writing), but I took the ACT and scored a 35 composite.

You must be super rich, right?
Actually, no. I'm from a low-income household and will be the first in my family to go to university. I'm relying solely on need-based financial aid to attend my university.

With that being said, if you have any other questions, or want me to elaborate on anything I've previously mentioned.... ask away!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ry7xsfa
just want my favourite pizza topping - feel free to ask here!

It’s tempting, it really is. Anyways, why are you going to a US university? And if you were to get the choice again of choosing between a US university and a UK university, which one would you choose? Any plans/back-up incase everything doesn’t work out financially?

Spoiler

Original post by ry7xsfa

Actually, no. I'm from a low-income household and will be the first in my family to go to university. I'm relying solely on need-based financial aid to attend my university.

Can you elaborate on the financial aid? Do you not end up like $200k in debt?
Original post by ry7xsfa
Hi all!

So, as the title suggests, I'm going to be attending a US University this September.

I was actually originally admitted as a part of the Class of 2024, but due to COVID all of my classes were moved online. I tried first term remotely, but it didn't work out for me - so I took a gap year instead and will be restarting soon - my flight is booked for September 15th!

I've noticed that there are a lot of questions in this forum about studying in the US - and for general process questions, I have created this informational thread that should answer your questions. If you want to know more about me or my personal experiences with applying, my goals, or just want my favourite pizza topping - feel free to ask here! I hope to be a good resource for anyone else looking to attend university in the US.

Where are you going?

ECs are a very personal thing, so my ECs (and the specific combination of them) are very unique to me. I was a part of my school's robotics club for 5 years, I did an unpaid internship with my local music school for 2 years, I play electric guitar, I have done volunteering at robotics events and science fairs for primary school pupils, I was on the Sutton Trust US Programme, and I helped students at my school prepare for their German GCSE exams when I was in Year 12.

Standardised tests are optional for the upcoming admissions cycle (at the time of writing), but I took the ACT and scored a 35 composite.

With that being said, if you have any other questions, or want me to elaborate on anything I've previously mentioned.... ask away!

Congratulations on getting in to CalTech.

Will we let you in to the country?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html
Original post by RogerOxon

Thanks! Fortunately, there is an exception to the travel ban for F-1 and J-1 status students who have in-person classes. So I should be good to go
Reply 5
Original post by RogerOxon

Impressive what do you intend on Majoring in?
Original post by Effyd123
Can you elaborate on the financial aid? Do you not end up like $200k in debt?

Yeah. So I explain it in my linked information thread in the “Affording a US Education” section.

Basically, my parents had to fill in the CSS Profile, which is a form that explains their income for the last 2 years, plus expenses. Caltech then used that to determine how much financial assistance they would need to give in order for me to attend.

I am very fortunate in that they have agreed to cover my full cost of attendance. Most of this has come in the form of scholarships/grants which don’t need to be repaid. I then have a small bit of money which I will have to earn through on-campus employment (known as “work-study”), and a very small loan from Caltech itself. When I graduate, my loan is repayable to Caltech and not a private company or government. The loan is capped at a maximum of $5,000 per year for Caltech, but for my first year my loan is only $1,350.
Original post by M4cc4n4
Impressive what do you intend on Majoring in?

Original post by 0ptics
It’s tempting, it really is. Anyways, why are you going to a US university? And if you were to get the choice again of choosing between a US university and a UK university, which one would you choose? Any plans/back-up incase everything doesn’t work out financially?

Spoiler

So one of the big reasons the US appealed to me so much is that I still wasn’t 100% sure on what exactly I wanted to study. I knew that I wanted to go into robotics, but didn’t yet know whether I wanted to be on the mechanical side, electrical side, or software side. The US allowing double majors, minors, and the ability to easily switch majors (and not have to declare until later on) was a huge appeal to me for this reason.

With that being said, it’s currently looking likely that my major will be Computer Science, with either a second major in Business, Economics, and Management, or a minor in Control and Dynamical Systems.

Another reason I chose the US is that undergrad research is extremely common over there and that’s something I want to get involved with. I also have a lot of interests and love that I can just decide to take a languages or philosophy class one term even though it’s not what my degree will be in. I’d definitely choose the US again 10 times out of 10, but ask me that again in 4 years haha.

Not really much in the way of a back-up, since Caltech is super rich and has already committed to covering my full need for 4 years of study.

Yes, I like pepperoni on my pizza.
Reply 8
Original post by ry7xsfa
Hi all!

Where are you going?

Caltech is incredible. Congratulations!
Original post by Ak4753
Caltech is incredible. Congratulations!

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by ry7xsfa
Thanks!

Good luck mate, enjoy SoCal - I’m sure you’ll have a great time! Both new threads are awesome 👏. Gotta run to pack my bags, off to Boston tomorrow!
Original post by pet973
Good luck mate, enjoy SoCal - I’m sure you’ll have a great time! Both new threads are awesome 👏. Gotta run to pack my bags, off to Boston tomorrow!

Nice! What uni are you currently studying at?
Reply 12
Original post by ry7xsfa
Nice! What uni are you currently studying at?

Tufts - semi-sophomore (started in Jan because of Covid visa delays). Loving it 👍
Original post by pet973
Tufts - semi-sophomore (started in Jan because of Covid visa delays). Loving it 👍

Oh nice! That's super cool.

I think if there's one thing I would have done differently if I were to be applying again, it would be to apply to Tufts early decision. Applied there in the regular round and was waitlisted, but was my favourite interviewer and loved the campus too when I got to visit.
Original post by ry7xsfa
So one of the big reasons the US appealed to me so much is that I still wasn’t 100% sure on what exactly I wanted to study. I knew that I wanted to go into robotics, but didn’t yet know whether I wanted to be on the mechanical side, electrical side, or software side. The US allowing double majors, minors, and the ability to easily switch majors (and not have to declare until later on) was a huge appeal to me for this reason.

With that being said, it’s currently looking likely that my major will be Computer Science, with either a second major in Business, Economics, and Management, or a minor in Control and Dynamical Systems.

Another reason I chose the US is that undergrad research is extremely common over there and that’s something I want to get involved with. I also have a lot of interests and love that I can just decide to take a languages or philosophy class one term even though it’s not what my degree will be in. I’d definitely choose the US again 10 times out of 10, but ask me that again in 4 years haha.

Not really much in the way of a back-up, since Caltech is super rich and has already committed to covering my full need for 4 years of study.

Yes, I like pepperoni on my pizza.

Congrats that's a great achievement :smile: Plus you can take liberal arts classes at Occidental College nearby if Caltech doesn't offer those subjects too so you get even more options :biggrin:
Are classes expected to resume on campus next term in the US? Will it be 50/50 online and campus time?

Also congrats on getting admission 🥳
Reply 16
Original post by ry7xsfa
Oh nice! That's super cool.

I think if there's one thing I would have done differently if I were to be applying again, it would be to apply to Tufts early decision. Applied there in the regular round and was waitlisted, but was my favourite interviewer and loved the campus too when I got to visit.

Ahahahah my first pick (waitlisted) was Pomona- I guess we swapped states! I’m jealous of all the sun and mexican food you’ll get, but Boston is great!
Original post by LittleBear04
Are classes expected to resume on campus next term in the US? Will it be 50/50 online and campus time?

Also congrats on getting admission 🥳

Thanks!

Some universities resumed in person instruction back in January. Schools in California have only just started getting approval to return, and currently the plan is for 100% in-person instruction.
Original post by artful_lounger
Congrats that's a great achievement :smile: Plus you can take liberal arts classes at Occidental College nearby if Caltech doesn't offer those subjects too so you get even more options :biggrin:

In theory I can, but from talking to upperclassmen is that in reality it's quite a hassle to do so nobody does it.
Original post by ry7xsfa
In theory I can, but from talking to upperclassmen is that in reality it's quite a hassle to do so nobody does it.

Oh really? That's a bit of a shame, I think they would probably have some neat classes there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending