The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

university of kent: Drama Society T24

Hello all. If you are reading this than hopefully you are interested in joining the drama society at the university of kent. If this is the case then please ask questions and get involved. My name is Daniel Hemming. I am T24 drama societies vice president for the upcoming year. I will give you all a brief outline of what we do.
We put on 4 shows a term, 2 in professional theatres (the gulbenkian and the marlowe) and 2 in free space.... so anywhere in campus or around canterbury. We also have events like 24 hour drama and hopefully a variety show we are trying to put together. ANYBODY CAN JOIN, you don't need to be a drama student, we have economic students, law, science and so on. In the society you can direct, be a stage manage, a lighting technician or sound technician...... we will try to find you a place.

Auditions for the first set of plays in autumn term will be held fairly early in the academic year and I will keep you updated on that as we plan the year ahead.

Also let us not forget the socials! Any excuse for a drink and we will use it! We have regular social events both planned and improntu and it always tends to get exceptionally messy but incredible fun!

If you are also interested in Musical Theatre I am a member of that society too, and the vice president of that society will shortly set up a thread for that society.... however until then. Ask away!!!

Find us during freshers week and get yourself added to our facebook page T24 drama society. We will arrange a taster session during your arrival at uni!!

Good luck. Much love. And see you in September on the stage!

Daniel Hemming.
Original post by Dannyhemms
Hello all. If you are reading this than hopefully you are interested in joining the drama society at the university of kent. If this is the case then please ask questions and get involved. My name is Daniel Hemming. I am T24 drama societies vice president for the upcoming year. I will give you all a brief outline of what we do.
We put on 4 shows a term, 2 in professional theatres (the gulbenkian and the marlowe) and 2 in free space.... so anywhere in campus or around canterbury. We also have events like 24 hour drama and hopefully a variety show we are trying to put together. ANYBODY CAN JOIN, you don't need to be a drama student, we have economic students, law, science and so on. In the society you can direct, be a stage manage, a lighting technician or sound technician...... we will try to find you a place.

Auditions for the first set of plays in autumn term will be held fairly early in the academic year and I will keep you updated on that as we plan the year ahead.

Also let us not forget the socials! Any excuse for a drink and we will use it! We have regular social events both planned and improntu and it always tends to get exceptionally messy but incredible fun!

If you are also interested in Musical Theatre I am a member of that society too, and the vice president of that society will shortly set up a thread for that society.... however until then. Ask away!!!

Find us during freshers week and get yourself added to our facebook page T24 drama society. We will arrange a taster session during your arrival at uni!!

Daniel Hemming.

hey :smile: i've firmed Kent to do drama and theatre, but will definitely be looking to join both T24 and the musical theatre society!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I firmed Kent for Physics but I'd be happy to join :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ElizabethMae
hey :smile: i've firmed Kent to do drama and theatre, but will definitely be looking to join both T24 and the musical theatre society!

Congratulations on the place and I look forward to seeing you in the new term. Bring your friends and do get involved as much as humanly possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by CAROLAL1
I firmed Kent for Physics but I'd be happy to join :biggrin:

Be good to see you there. All are welcome and its an incredible amount of fun! Congratulations on your place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Definitly something that sounds interesting! I had already planned to look out for a chance to do theatre again, so I hope I will be able to get involved. :3
Reply 6
Original post by McNelly
Definitly something that sounds interesting! I had already planned to look out for a chance to do theatre again, so I hope I will be able to get involved. :3

Absolutely. I was out of theatre from 6 years myself. But its so easy to get back involved! Keep your ear to the ground and attend freshers fair where you will find us :smile:
I've firmed Kent for Theatre and Drama, I'll definitely be checking in with you when the term starts!
Reply 8
Original post by stuartscott
I've firmed Kent for Theatre and Drama, I'll definitely be checking in with you when the term starts!

Look forward to seeing you there!!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've firmed for drama and English and honestly, I've had my eye on this society since I decided I wanted to go to kent I.e. 2 years ago XD
Reply 10
Original post by EllieC130
I've firmed for drama and English and honestly, I've had my eye on this society since I decided I wanted to go to kent I.e. 2 years ago XD

This I like! We look forward to you joining us :smile:

Daniel Hemming.

2 questions:

1) are the chances of getting decent parts based solely on auditions, even as a non-drama student?

2) is it possible to fit in rehearsals etc around another active society such as American Football?
Reply 12
Original post by MartinCB
2 questions:

1) are the chances of getting decent parts based solely on auditions, even as a non-drama student?

2) is it possible to fit in rehearsals etc around another active society such as American Football?

Hello pal.

Answer to question 1 is yes. There have been plenty of non drama students who have received main and supporting roles. All auditions are an equal playing field for any member of T24. You just have to show us what you have got!!

Answer to question 2 is another yes. Some members of T24 are apart of the sporting societies and have managed to balance that, a production and their degree. But a commitment from your end is needed to make up rehearsals that you miss due to sporting commitments and you will have to be highly organised making sure you dedicate as much time as possible during the lead up to the production.

But all in all, yes is the answer! Look forward to seeing you at freshers week and in the audition room!
Hello pal.

Answer to question 1 is yes. There have been plenty of non drama students who have received main and supporting roles. All auditions are an equal playing field for any member of T24. You just have to show us what you have got!!

Answer to question 2 is another yes. Some members of T24 are apart of the sporting societies and have managed to balance that, a production and their degree. But a commitment from your end is needed to make up rehearsals that you miss due to sporting commitments and you will have to be highly organised making sure you dedicate as much time as possible during the lead up to the production.

But all in all, yes is the answer! Look forward to seeing you at freshers week and in the audition room!

Awesome, really looking forward to it!
would it be advisable to prepare a monologue for audition beforehand?
Original post by ElizabethMae

Hi Elizabeth - I'm Ceri VP of Musical Theatre and I've finally set up a thread for MTS if you wanted to find out a bit more info :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2809967

Looking forward to seeing you in September! xx
Reply 15
Auditions are done differently by different directors. No preparation is required for the auditions!! Be free from the written text!!!
Hi!
I will be studying Drama and English Lit and I'm excited to get involved with as many arts societies as possible! I'm particularly interested in musical theatre! :biggrin: Ecstatic to meet everyone!
Reply 17
Hey guys!
I had troubles finding you at the Fresher's fayre yesterday, and once I had flyers from so many societies I gave up looking - but I am still really interested in the drama society.

Are you going to have a taster event coming up? If so when and where, and could I come by to have a look?
Is it possible to join later during the year?
Reply 18
Hi Team,My Name is Archana

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending