The Student Room Group

Little blister like spot under the skin

I've been getting this and it's driving me mad. Anyone know what it is? It's mostly in the side of my fingers but there are clusters close to my nails and they look like blisters with water except under the skin. It's very itchy. Never had this before and I don't know what to do. Can't go to GP until end of next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Obviously a doctor will be able to advise, but are you allergic to anything and/or have been irritated in the area and scratching for any reason recently (heat rash etc?) Or have had pressure/rubbing in the area? (ring, watch, etc).

Vesicles are like tiny fluid filled blisters which can come up like hives after irritation/scratching but unlike hives don't go away as easily. They look like you might be able to pop them but it's really difficult and they sort of disappear in on themselves if you try to apply pressure. Basically all you can do is wait - they disappear eventually.

Of course there can be other causes or it might not even be vesicles so do see what your doctor says - in the meantime maybe get some aqueous cream for the itching, it's cheap from any pharmacy and soothes itching really well.
You don't need to go to the GP for such a trivial thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pompholyx/Pages/Introduction.aspx
http://www.pompholyx.co.uk/

I think this is what I have too, you do actually need to see your gp you will most likely be given a topical steroid cream.
It's a type of eczema and is made worse by itching, it's not contagious and you should try to keep your hands dry as much as possible also avoid contact with any chemicals. (shampoo, harsh soaps and shower gel makes mine worse!) hope this helps as my gp was stumped and I had to go googling myself!
Reply 5
Original post by moutonfou
Obviously a doctor will be able to advise, but are you allergic to anything and/or have been irritated in the area and scratching for any reason recently (heat rash etc?) Or have had pressure/rubbing in the area? (ring, watch, etc).

Vesicles are like tiny fluid filled blisters which can come up like hives after irritation/scratching but unlike hives don't go away as easily. They look like you might be able to pop them but it's really difficult and they sort of disappear in on themselves if you try to apply pressure. Basically all you can do is wait - they disappear eventually.

Of course there can be other causes or it might not even be vesicles so do see what your doctor says - in the meantime maybe get some aqueous cream for the itching, it's cheap from any pharmacy and soothes itching really well.

I've got hayfever and I guess the itching got worse after going out. I've also had acrylic nails on and now that I think of it, it's close to where the blisters are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by donutaud15
I've got hayfever and I guess the itching got worse after going out. I've also had acrylic nails on and now that I think of it, it's close to where the blisters are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you suffer from hayfever, you may have access to anti hitamines? If so, take them - it should reduce the swelling & the itching. You can always get them from the pharmacy, and whilst your their you could ask for the pharmacists advice too.

But based on what you've said, it seems as though you've had an allergic reaction.
Reply 7
Could be all sorts eg Pompholyx. I think it sounds a vey good reason to see your GP.
sounds like a reaction to the bonding agent for the nails - photo would be handy
Reply 9
Original post by SHOO
As you suffer from hayfever, you may have access to anti hitamines? If so, take them - it should reduce the swelling & the itching. You can always get them from the pharmacy, and whilst your their you could ask for the pharmacists advice too.

But based on what you've said, it seems as though you've had an allergic reaction.

Yeah I've taken antihistamines and while it hasn't cleared up completely, the itching calm down a bit.

Original post by Egypt
Could be all sorts eg Pompholyx. I think it sounds a vey good reason to see your GP.

I thought it was Pompholyx as it looked very similar but I don't have a lot of it, not like the photos on Google.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by limpopomark
sounds like a reaction to the bonding agent for the nails - photo would be handy

That's the clearest shot I got.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest