The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely - what to do?

I have friends at home (where I am now) but they're the worst for meeting up. They either spend all their holidays indoors or they don't reply to my meeting up texts. Because of this I have spent a lot of my summer in my house and I hate it.
In university my first year was hard, dealing with major depression (undiagnosed) and social anxiety. Along with other problems eg international roommates who could barely speak English, bad societies, bad lectures etc I only made three friends.
One is international and is going home this year. The other lives far away so I barely see her and my other friend is my roommate, but she has a long term boyfriend so they constantly hang out together.

I feel really lonely at the moment, and I have a placement this year so I doubt I'll be joining any new societies. I have started a full time job now and when I get home around 6:30 I just want to sleep. I don't know how I'll survive for a year of unpaid work, plus making friends with this going on.

I just feel so alone and depression doesn't help when I feel like this. I just want friends to hang out with and to do things together but I'm finding it so hard to make friends. I'm scared my next year of uni will be just as lonely and that's terrifying to me.

I'm sorry this is so long. It's more of a rant/whine than a question, I needed to get it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Focus on your job first, and how that'll look on your CV.

After that, make sure you work hard for your degree. It's best done without the distraction of "friends", besides if you need help your adviser is the only person you can ask (besides the much busier lecturers)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by snowystarks
I have friends at home (where I am now) but they're the worst for meeting up. They either spend all their holidays indoors or they don't reply to my meeting up texts. Because of this I have spent a lot of my summer in my house and I hate it.
In university my first year was hard, dealing with major depression (undiagnosed) and social anxiety. Along with other problems eg international roommates who could barely speak English, bad societies, bad lectures etc I only made three friends.
One is international and is going home this year. The other lives far away so I barely see her and my other friend is my roommate, but she has a long term boyfriend so they constantly hang out together.

I feel really lonely at the moment, and I have a placement this year so I doubt I'll be joining any new societies. I have started a full time job now and when I get home around 6:30 I just want to sleep. I don't know how I'll survive for a year of unpaid work, plus making friends with this going on.

I just feel so alone and depression doesn't help when I feel like this. I just want friends to hang out with and to do things together but I'm finding it so hard to make friends. I'm scared my next year of uni will be just as lonely and that's terrifying to me.

I'm sorry this is so long. It's more of a rant/whine than a question, I needed to get it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

awww :frown:

I'm in exactly the same situation. Never had any friends at all through school. During 4 years of uni, I have not made a single friend, I don't know anyone at all and it's been extremely lonely and completely soul destroying, had depression for a while as well. I try to tell myself to focus on my work, but that's hard to do right now.

My advice to you is please don't let it carry on for too long, it only gets worse if you let it continue and do nothing about it. Make some effort at least to reconnect with old friends, anything you can do. Even trying to meet new people or something, you can't stay alone.
Original post by shawn_o1
Focus on your job first, and how that'll look on your CV.

After that, make sure you work hard for your degree. It's best done without the distraction of "friends", besides if you need help your adviser is the only person you can ask (besides the much busier lecturers)

Come one, one can work hard and still have friends:wink:
in a similar predicament op , if you ever want a chat just drop me a pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending