The Student Room Group

Does it give off the wrong impression to like/favourite things about private school?

Some examples are:

'That infamous 'we will send you to state school if you carry on like this' talk'

'You know you go to a private school when you get three more weeks of Summer than everyone else'

I'm honestly not a snob, but have just found things like this on facebook/twitter funny and liked as I can relate to them, but I feel like I'm being judged and I don't want people to stop liking my when I get along with everyone and I don't judge people on how wealthy they are.

Am I just getting paranoid?
Reply 1
Loads of state schools are really up their own backsides and constantly try to invent fake traditions. Others try and do backdoor selection and so on.

At the end of the day, if your parents can pay, or you're fortunate enough to be a scholar - good on you. All the jealousy and everything else is just absurd and childish. You only really get it on here. I've never ever seen anyone at university make a big deal about public school.
Inverted snobbery?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest I follow a twitter thing about typical 'grammar school' quirks so *shrug*
Reply 4
Original post by RayApparently
To be honest I follow a twitter thing about typical 'grammar school' quirks so *shrug*

What's typical at grammar school?
Reminds me of the Grammar school ones, you are being a tad paranoid
Original post by Clip
Loads of state schools are really up their own backsides and constantly try to invent fake traditions. Others try and do backdoor selection and so on.

At the end of the day, if your parents can pay, or you're fortunate enough to be a scholar - good on you. All the jealousy and everything else is just absurd and childish. You only really get it on here. I've never ever seen anyone at university make a big deal about public school.

People feel able to talk more openly about their feelings in the anonymity of a web forum. They still have those feelings offline, they just aren't so visible. I definitely have come across animus (often hidden as joking or 'little remarks') in relation to which school people attended. To get some perspective though, if you have access to a privilege, you should be prepared for people who don't to not be completely delighted.
Reply 7
Original post by Fullofsurprises
People feel able to talk more openly about their feelings in the anonymity of a web forum. They still have those feelings offline, they just aren't so visible. I definitely have come across animus (often hidden as joking or 'little remarks') in relation to which school people attended. To get some perspective though, if you have access to a privilege, you should be prepared for people who don't to not be completely delighted.

Fair enough.
Original post by Clip
What's typical at grammar school?

https://twitter.com/Grammarschools

I can relate... with some :laugh:

:mmm:

Edit: Okay that's a lie, there are quite a few
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10

It's like a TSR monologue.

Although with this one:

These people would cry if they knew how much a Norland Nanny earns.

You're over thinking it, but based on personal experience - people don't really treat you any differently based on what you like etc. Just be who you are, don't feel like you're walking on eggshells because you're not :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending