The Student Room Group

Think i have the wrong result. How likely?

Evening everybody!
Will try and keep this short.
Last year took A level Ancient History, my first A level for 28 years!
Self studied and paid to take the exam as a private candidate.
Result 135/196 (Greece 66 Rome 69) Grade A.
So having greatly enjoyed it and confident that my method worked and was what was required, decided to do Ancient History again this year.
Choose 2 different modules. (There are 2 obligatory modules so 50% of the exam was a repeat of the previous year).
Also worth noting that my result basically reflected what i thought i had got, if anything it was 5/6 marks higher.
Study and revision carried out in the same fashion (if anything did more work) including re-reading and revising the repeat modules.
Exam answered in the same style and fashion as the previous year (difficult to change your style at 48!).
Thought i had improved by 6/7 marks as in 2022 did think 2 of my essays were slightly average.
Result: 83/196 (Greece 41 Rome 42) Grade D losing 52 marks!
Frankly baffled and bewildered, cannot believe this is correct.
Strangely enough 71 and 72 would take me to around what i thought i would get (and i predicted pretty well last year).
Could this be a transcribing error? Does this happen?
Frankly i just do not believe this can be correct!
Reply 1
Original post by granata1975
Evening everybody!
Will try and keep this short.
Last year took A level Ancient History, my first A level for 28 years!
Self studied and paid to take the exam as a private candidate.
Result 135/196 (Greece 66 Rome 69) Grade A.
So having greatly enjoyed it and confident that my method worked and was what was required, decided to do Ancient History again this year.
Choose 2 different modules. (There are 2 obligatory modules so 50% of the exam was a repeat of the previous year).
Also worth noting that my result basically reflected what i thought i had got, if anything it was 5/6 marks higher.
Study and revision carried out in the same fashion (if anything did more work) including re-reading and revising the repeat modules.
Exam answered in the same style and fashion as the previous year (difficult to change your style at 48!).
Thought i had improved by 6/7 marks as in 2022 did think 2 of my essays were slightly average.
Result: 83/196 (Greece 41 Rome 42) Grade D losing 52 marks!
Frankly baffled and bewildered, cannot believe this is correct.
Strangely enough 71 and 72 would take me to around what i thought i would get (and i predicted pretty well last year).
Could this be a transcribing error? Does this happen?
Frankly i just do not believe this can be correct!

Your passion for studying is impressive! This situation is odd, so it would be worth trying to request a remark if possible and appeal the grade you've received by contacting the centre at which you sat your exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Bean_cat
Your passion for studying is impressive! This situation is odd, so it would be worth trying to request a remark if possible and appeal the grade you've received by contacting the centre at which you sat your exam.

Thankyou.
After some thought i have e mailed the school and i think i will appeal.
Just difficult to justify expense when practically its not something i need to do.
However i really think this needs sorting, its just so strange.
I am actually of the opinion that this is a transcribing error or some such problem.
Quite frankly either last years result was wrong or this years.
If i really only scored a D this year when 50% of the exam was on the same topics as last year than i do not see how i would have been
capable of an A last year.
Reply 3
Thankyou.
After some thought i have e mailed the school and i think i will appeal.
Just difficult to justify expense when practically its not something i need to do.
However i really think this needs sorting, its just so strange.
I am actually of the opinion that this is a transcribing error or some such problem.
Quite frankly either last years result was wrong or this years.
If i really only scored a D this year when 50% of the exam was on the same topics as last year than i do not see how i would have been
capable of an A last year.

That makes sense, the only thing I can think of that maybe affected your grade was perhaps a change in exam board if each of these A levels were done with different exam boards. I agree, it is a very bizarre situation, but I do hope that your grade improves with the appeal
Reply 4
Thanks.
Same board (OCR) same spec, same everything.
I do really want this sorted as its somewhat knocked the wind out of my sails study wise.
However started background reading for Classical Civilisation with a view to AS next June.
Are you doing A-levels for fun?
Reply 6
Well i suppose in a way, yes.
However it goes deeper than that, gives me something to strive for and a sense of achievement, good for my mental health.
Have always loved History and like reading, also my wife works away so long train visits, holidays and evenings give me time to read which
is ideal for History.
Last year gaining an A gave me my third such grade at A level: Economics 1993, Italian 1996 quite a unique triumvirate i felt.
Also have a few others at lesser grades.

Original post by toxicgamage56
Are you doing A-levels for fun?
Well i suppose in a way, yes.
However it goes deeper than that, gives me something to strive for and a sense of achievement, good for my mental health.
Have always loved History and like reading, also my wife works away so long train visits, holidays and evenings give me time to read which
is ideal for History.
Last year gaining an A gave me my third such grade at A level: Economics 1993, Italian 1996 quite a unique triumvirate i felt.
Also have a few others at lesser grades.

That's interesting, I could never imagine doing A-levels out of obligation to go university.
Reply 8
Last year at my exam centre. a school which takes private candidates, my exam was last to finish (only me doing it).
Had a bit of a chat with the invigilator in the empty sports hall, she informed me that the day before an 80 year old lady
had arrived to take A level Latin!
Apparently she said `well, its now or never`.
Reply 9
Update on this:
I am going to request access to my original script, as i believe i am looking at a clerical error here.
I will be interested to see my marks per question and how it relates to the marking scheme.
My centre told me that as well as grade boundary changes the marking was more rigorous
however that would not explain at drop of more than 25%.
Also a shame i cannot compare it with last years paper, natural progression after another years
hard study should have taken care of the grade boundary changes.
Although the questions were obviously different and i did 2 different modules my answers were
all in the same style that served me so well in 2022, also the marks per paper were broadly equal
so there is not the explanation of misreading a question and going off on a tangent, unless i did that
on both papers.
Unless some obvious error comes up it does appear that one examiner in 2022 considered me an A
candidate (even on the 2023 boundaries a high B) and after a further year of study and progression a
different examiner considered me a mid D candidate.
There is a massive difference between the two, and further more having thought i knew what the
examiners required i now do not have a clue.
When i think back to my answers i genuinely thought i had produced a `tighter` script than in 2022 and
made a progression, instead i fell of a cliff.
This may remain a mystery although i have thought doing it yet again with the 2 remaining modules i
have yet to study would be interesting...

Quick Reply

Latest