The Student Room Group

PHARMACY: Which Uni???

Hey guys!
so i want to study pharmacy and get an Mpharm degree! I'm looking at some universities at the moment: bath, nottingham, birmingham, kings college, east anglia and reading. Does anyone study pharmacy at any of those universities? How do you find it? And even any university, how is the course structure? How is the teaching, practical work, facilities, work placements etc? Just from personal experience.

Also what about accredited vs provisionally accredited? I know Birmingham's pharmacy degree is quite new so it isn't fully accredited yet, would it be risky to study there?

Any information will be helpful, i know there are lots of websites that are dedicated to finding unis already like whatuni and unifrog etc but i'd really like some information from students studying the course at a particular uni themselves.

Thanks so much if you have anything to say! :tongue:
I'm hopefully going to Notts so will be able to tell you about that in a few months time, as for Birmingham I don't think it's a risk at all, the uni has a brilliant reputation, there's no way they'd let their Pharmacy course be a failure, plus a lot of the staff have come from Pharmacy departments at other uni's and the course has been designed for the modern pharmacists and to fit the GPhC's newest standards. I would have loved to study there but Nottingham just suited me better
Hi :smile:
I'm a pharmacy student at Bath starting 3rd year in September.
I would highly recommend Bath but remember because the course is regulated by the GPhC it's pretty much the same content at all the unis that do it! It might be split into different modules but I'm pretty sure we all learn the same things in the end. So take into consideration the place too :smile:
We have a lot of work at Bath, 9-5 pretty much almost everyday (with some exceptions thank goodness!)
There's a LOT of lectures, but also practicals, workshops and tutorials. In second year you start dispensing classes which is more like the real world instead of just doing lots of science.
I enjoy it even though it's tough so don't expect it to be an easy degree wherever you choose!
If you have any more questions about pharmacy or Bath feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by demetria
I'm hopefully going to Notts so will be able to tell you about that in a few months time, as for Birmingham I don't think it's a risk at all, the uni has a brilliant reputation, there's no way they'd let their Pharmacy course be a failure, plus a lot of the staff have come from Pharmacy departments at other uni's and the course has been designed for the modern pharmacists and to fit the GPhC's newest standards. I would have loved to study there but Nottingham just suited me better

OooOoo well i hope you do! And yes please, that would be lovely, thank you. And yes, that makes sense thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Twigleheight
Hi :smile:
I'm a pharmacy student at Bath starting 3rd year in September.
I would highly recommend Bath but remember because the course is regulated by the GPhC it's pretty much the same content at all the unis that do it! It might be split into different modules but I'm pretty sure we all learn the same things in the end. So take into consideration the place too :smile:
We have a lot of work at Bath, 9-5 pretty much almost everyday (with some exceptions thank goodness!)
There's a LOT of lectures, but also practicals, workshops and tutorials. In second year you start dispensing classes which is more like the real world instead of just doing lots of science.
I enjoy it even though it's tough so don't expect it to be an easy degree wherever you choose!
If you have any more questions about pharmacy or Bath feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow yeah that does sound like a lot of work 9-5! :eek:, but at the same time it sounds so exciting! I can't wait. Thanks for the advice, i'll bear it in mind!
Original post by Miss.Dee97
Wow yeah that does sound like a lot of work 9-5! :eek:, but at the same time it sounds so exciting! I can't wait. Thanks for the advice, i'll bear it in mind!

I don't study Pharmacy, but I would say that 9-5 is pretty standard for most science-y subjects (in fact if you take private study into consideration, you should expect to spend all evening + weekends studying too) - you should expect a lot of contact hours (lectures, labs, tutorials, etc.) as well some private study. I worked out I was studying 60-70 hours a week last year, 30 of which were contact hours :frown: As others have said, the course content is similar across all accredited unis so expect similar quantities of work - i.e. don't pick a uni because they have less contact hours (i.e. "less work") since you will probably just be given more private study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending