The Student Room Group

No sex before marriage. Would you wait?

Hello,

I'm 19 and never been in a serious relationship and consequently am still a virgin. I've been thinking about this and have decided I want to wait until I am married before having sex for reasons such as:

1. I don't want to mess up my body with contraceptives
2. I want to know it means something
3. My Dad would literally lock me up and probably attack the 'father' if I were to get pregnant

etc....

My question is - Would the average guy be prepared to wait that long? I know it doesn't seem likely - I don't want to feel pressured into it, but then again I don't want to have no chance at a relationship because of this.

What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's personal thing. It's for you only to decide. That's what I think anyway.
If you really think it is gonna last then yeah he would but if the guy didnt think it would then he wud get rid of you if he knew he wasnt gonna get any eventually, sorry to sound like an ass but its true
Most men I know wouldnt unless they have a faith.
Reply 4
i think its an amazing thing to do personally, but it depends on the person as to whether its the right thing. is it a religious decision?
Reply 5
I personally wouldn't and well obviously havent.

It's too good.
firstly thats very good that ur a virgin and i am too and im 17 (going on 18 may i add :P) but seriously i too have the same view of u as waiting and not wanting to mess up my body with contraceptives, and i feel that sex after marriage is special and YES i can relate about the father issues we dont want to go there!
the average guy in my opinion no unless he has respect for u, please hunny dont let any guy pressurise u for sex really dont ur body is ur shrine ...and u look after and its ur choice to give ur body to whoever u want ive never had a boyfreind and i dont like using the term boyfriend either my love and i are very far away from eachother and we are engaged we feel its right to wait after marriage if my love wanted to say no i want sex now id tell him to shut the hell up because reallly to me it seems like hes using me for sex and not loving me for me just my body i highly suggest u wait after marriage and in regards to ur question would i wait? well hell yeah! id def wait ...i feel it will be more speacial with my husband. so wait i suggest! the right guy will come ur way and hell love u for u dont waste ur body on a jerk.
Reply 7
ICT.FrEaK
firstly thats very good that ur a virgin and i am too and im 17 (going on 18 may i add :P) but seriously i too have the same view of u as waiting and not wanting to mess up my body with contraceptives, and i feel that sex after marriage is special and YES i can relate about the father issues we dont want to go there!
the average guy in my opinion no unless he has respect for u, please hunny dont let any guy pressurise u for sex really dont ur body is ur shrine ...and u look after and its ur choice to give ur body to whoever u want ive never had a boyfreind and i dont like using the term boyfriend either my love and i are very far away from eachother and we are engaged we feel its right to wait after marriage if my love wanted to say no i want sex now id tell him to shut the hell up because reallly to me it seems like hes using me for sex and not loving me for me just my body i highly suggest u wait after marriage and in regards to ur question would i wait? well hell yeah! id def wait ...i feel it will be more speacial with my husband. so wait i suggest! the right guy will come ur way and hell love u for u dont waste ur body on a jerk.

It's a shame you also refrain from good grammar and punctuation.
Reply 8
I know how you feel. I felt the same way about contraceptives, finding the right person, and was generally scared about my parents finding out. I still am. They've probably guessed that I am having sex and have been for a good few years since I'm 21 and have been in 2 serious long term relationships.

My answer to your question is that there are plenty of other people who want to wait until getting married to have sex. I'm not saying that the average joe feels like this - they don't. But there ARE boys who are waiting for their own reasons, be it religious or wanting it to be special, etc.

Saying that, I do think that it's a good idea to make sure that you're sexually compatible before you make the commitment of marriage. That's just my personal opinion though. My mom says that she doesn't think that sex before marriage is wrong, but more that sex before some sort of commitment is wrong - i.e. unofficial or official engagement. I think that's fair enough. Well, it makes more sense to me anyway.
Reply 9
I'm almost 20, male and a virgin.

People like me are rare, but they do exist.
Reply 10
Cymru_am_byth
It's a shame you also refrain from good grammar and punctuation.

come on hunny its the net im not writing an essay and big deal bohoo i cant spell grow up darling.
ICT.FrEaK
come on hunny its the net im not writing an essay and big deal bohoo i cant spell grow up darling.

It's just difficult to read such a post. Don't mean to annoy.
Reply 12
Snowfall
My answer to your question is that there are plenty of other people who want to wait until getting married to have sex. I'm not saying that the average joe feels like this - they don't. But there ARE boys who are waiting for their own reasons, be it religious or wanting it to be special, etc.

The thing is... I think that if I did actually fall for someone and wanted to sleep with them I still think that I couldn't because the consequences of the reasons I mentioned earlier would be too severe for me to handle - I'm really scared of my Dad too, if he found out I was sexually active let alone pregnant I dread to think what he would do :eek:
Reply 13
Anonymous
Hello,

I'm 19 and never been in a serious relationship and consequently am still a virgin. I've been thinking about this and have decided I want to wait until I am married before having sex for reasons such as:

3. My Dad would literally lock me up and probably attack the 'father' if I were to get pregnant

etc....

My question is - Would the average guy be prepared to wait that long? I know it doesn't seem likely - I don't want to feel pressured into it, but then again I don't want to have no chance at a relationship because of this.

What do you guys think?

I will.

Sex is just bigged up by soceity and many forgot the true meaning of it, which is love! :suith:

I shall wait for the one! :wink:

Some will call me an ignorant virgin for my views! :rolleyes: But that is what they are and shall stay for quite a few more years.
Reply 14
Anonymous

although i respect you for this, i think your reasons are a bit weird.

1. there are non-hormonal contraceptives that can be very effective such as condoms and the diaphragm. and also does this mean you'll want to have children as soon as you get married? would it not be better to wait a bit until you're financially ready too?

2. what if you're in a long term relationship? does that not mean something? there is something that's a middle ground between meaningless sex and marriage

3. simple, make sure you don't by being careful. use non-hormonal contraceptives if that's what suits you. and if anything did happen surely it would be with someone who you were in a serious relationship with (although not necessarily marriage)... i think my parents would be more concerned if i rushed into a marriage.

but like i said it's your decision and i respect that, i just think ti would be less extreme to say you'll wait until you're in a loving a stable relationship

lou xxx
Reply 15
Cymru_am_byth
It's just difficult to read such a post. Don't mean to annoy.

its ok i type reallly fast so i dont look at punctuations ill do my best to type clearly i hope this is ok.:smile:
Reply 16
lou p
although i respect you for this, i think your reasons are a bit weird.

1. there are non-hormonal contraceptives that can be very effective such as condoms and the diaphragm. and also does this mean you'll want to have children as soon as you get married? would it not be better to wait a bit until you're financially ready too?

2. what if you're in a long term relationship? does that not mean something? there is something that's a middle ground between meaningless sex and marriage

3. simple, make sure you don't by being careful. use non-hormonal contraceptives if that's what suits you. and if anything did happen surely it would be with someone who you were in a serious relationship with (although not necessarily marriage)... i think my parents would be more concerned if i rushed into a marriage.

but like i said it's your decision and i respect that, i just think ti would be less extreme to say you'll wait until you're in a loving a stable relationship

lou xxx

Excellent post!
Reply 17
Socrates
I'm almost 20, male and a virgin.

People like me are rare, but they do exist.

i wish your name really was socrates :biggrin:
Reply 18
I don't think condoms are that reliable tbh - I'm scared they would break, it would have to be the pill..
Anonymous
Hello,

etc....

What do you guys think?

I prefer girls like the OP, more respectable, and less likely to be unfaithful later on.

Latest

Trending

Trending