The Student Room Group

How accurate is your self-perception?

Perhaps a self-defeating question, but how realistic do you think the way you view your personality, character and abilities is?

Have you noticed your perception of yourself differ from the views of other people; have you been pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised by outside appraisal?

If you suspect any distortions in your self-perception, what do you think has caused them? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to these distortions?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Why don't you answer it first? What are your thoughts?
Original post by Birkenhead
Perhaps a self-defeating question, but how realistic do you think the way you view your personality, character and abilities is?

Have you noticed your perception of yourself differ from the views of other people; have you been pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised by outside appraisal?

If you suspect any distortions in your self-perception, what do you think has caused them? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to these distortions?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Reply 2
People think I am dummer and less capable than I actually am. Always nice to suddenly go wham and surprise em when I want to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by anonymouspie227
Why don't you answer it first? What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your valuable contribution. My thoughts are that I'm interested in the thoughts of others. That is generally the point of threads in H&R and conversations generally: starting a stimulating discussion and seeing things from others' perspectives, responding to interesting contributions with points of agreement, contrast and further questions as the conversation develops. I hope this quells your need to always find cause for complaint xoxo
Reply 4
Original post by 8472
People think I am dummer and less capable than I actually am. Always nice to suddenly go wham and surprise em when I want to.

I can sympathise. Do you think being so under-estimated like that drives your performance up or down ultimately? Do you refer to a particular area?

I certainly think that being underestimated can be a great advantage when you end up performing very well, especially in a competition of some kind, but then again I also think there's something to be said for the Pygmalion effect in psychology whereby individuals' performance is closely correlated to what is expected of them. I remember a teacher I had for A2 who said I could get 100% when I wasn't confident of getting the 90% I needed, while the teacher for the other module in the same subject had doubts about me getting an A, despite me being originally more confident in his module...ended up getting 100% and 80% respectively...
I think my perception of myself catches up to reality at the same speed the reality of my personality and character changes, so I am forever playing a game of catching-up and realising the truth behind events and actions and emotions that have long gone.
Reply 6
People seem to think I'm smarter than I actually think I am. I disagree that good exam results = intelligence - I believe I've just found an effective way to study that works for me.

Probably the same for personality and character. I don't think I'm a particularly interesting or special friend to have, which makes me suspicious of people who think I'm interesting (i.e. they're lying).

I know this is probably a bad way to look at things, but I can't help feeling it. Meh, life goes on.
Reply 7
I can sympathise. Do you think being so under-estimated like that drives your performance up or down ultimately? Do you refer to a particular area?

I certainly think that being underestimated can be a great advantage when you end up performing very well, especially in a competition of some kind, but then again I also think there's something to be said for the Pygmalion effect in psychology whereby individuals' performance is closely correlated to what is expected of them. I remember a teacher I had for A2 who said I could get 100% when I wasn't confident of getting the 90% I needed, while the teacher for the other module in the same subject had doubts about me getting an A, despite me being originally more confident in his module...ended up getting 100% and 80% respectively...

It means I can be lazy sadly. I don't get asked to help out on homework much as they think I don't know how to do it..when I have actually completed it super fast.
I was actually genuinely interested in how you see yourself.

You don't have to get so defensive.

And sometimes in conversations you can answer your own question to offer something.

Double edit:
Why can't you answer your own question?
You're fair to say that you are interested in the thoughts of others. However, surely it should be expected that in conversations people will too want to hear your thoughts? And so to reply in such a defensive manner would block the progression of a discussion. Which is what you wanted anyway?

Also baby boy, not all conversations are so structured
XXXXX
Thank you for your valuable contribution. My thoughts are that I'm interested in the thoughts of others. That is generally the point of threads in H&R and conversations generally: starting a stimulating discussion and seeing things from others' perspectives, responding to interesting contributions with points of agreement, contrast and further questions as the conversation develops. I hope this quells your need to always find cause for complaint xoxo
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 8472

I don't want to go all grammar police on you, but dumber is the correct way to spell "dummer". Sorry if this made you sound at all dumb.
Not really. What people see is what people get, I'm a very straightforward person. some people I know (though I don't like them and don't give a **** about their views..) think because I'm not very lively and talkative that I have no real opinions, but are always shocked when my opinions on most issues are sharper and better refined than theirs.
Reply 11
Original post by canadamoose
I don't want to go all grammar police on you, but dumber is the correct way to spell "dummer". Sorry if this made you sound at all dumb.

Phone auto correct. Dummer is a village near me so my phone got excited about it and changed what I had written to that.
I'm bipolar, so self perception is a little more difficult. I know how I behave, and how others perceive me. Self perception can be problematic, when there are multiple sides of oneself presenting in fairly rapid succession or even in tandem.

The self which presents more often than most though, is the selfless, I am not a victim of my circumstances, and nor should you be, kinda guy.
I hope it's inaccurate as **** because I don't exactly think that highly of myself.
Original post by Xotol
People seem to think I'm smarter than I actually think I am. I disagree that good exam results = intelligence - I believe I've just found an effective way to study that works for me.

Probably the same for personality and character. I don't think I'm a particularly interesting or special friend to have, which makes me suspicious of people who think I'm interesting (i.e. they're lying).

I know this is probably a bad way to look at things, but I can't help feeling it. Meh, life goes on.

This is exactly me.
Reply 15
I remember a teacher I had for A2 who said I could get 100% when I wasn't confident of getting the 90% I needed, while the teacher for the other module in the same subject had doubts about me getting an A, despite me being originally more confident in his module...ended up getting 100% and 80% respectively...

I used to be incredibly insecure as a teenager and refused to believe that I would get into university or make anything of myself. My teachers were constantly telling me otherwise, but it wasn't until I received my GCSE results and could see the proof before my eyes that hard work does pay off, that I began to gain some confidence in my abilities.

I think my self-perception is quite distorted generally as I am rather shy and don't think much of myself. This can lead to modesty which can become annoying to close friends as I refuse to accept their version of how they see me. I am trying to change that though, and I think that by going to university and becoming independent, you learn a lot about yourself and feel more comfortable in your own skin.

One perception that people always seem to have of me is that I am naturally intelligent. This is usually translated from my persona; I can often be found sitting in a corner reading a book, and my hobbies generally include memorising poems or browsing through online book forums. :tongue: I am introverted, and for some reason a lot people take this to mean I am intelligent. Just because I am sitting quietly does not mean I am unravelling the mysteries of the universe - I may just be thinking about what to have for dinner!
I have to work very hard to get through exam season (as do most people!) and I am not a very logical thinker so it takes time for me to connect the dots. People just seem to assume that I can figure anything out within two seconds and just breeze through my university course. It is a horrible feeling when people ask you what mark you received in your exam and then look surprised (while quickly trying to cover it up) when you answer with a lower mark than they expected.

I feel like I've just written a diary entry: that was rather therapeutic! :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
When it comes to grades, appalling to the point my friends have told me I ought to work on it as part of a project we have to do next year :lol:. But overall I think my self-perception's pretty average, I have moments when I'm pretty aware of what I'm doing and others where I'm oblivious.
Reply 17
Most think that I'm quite clever, sensible, hard-working and mature. While I can be mature if need be, nothing else is really true and only seems so because I love reading and can be rather reserved at times. I'm also rather fond of using uncommon words, which makes me sound smart/pretentious depending on the situation. :tongue:

As for how accurate my assessment of myself is, it's (as the OP pointed out) hard to say due to our own biases, but I'd much rather underestimate myself than overestimate. There's very little as annoying as a pseudo-intellectual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending