The Student Room Group

Tips on how to get a great score on your theory?

How do I memorise lots of road signs? Will it be super obvious once I remember them like when I look at them I'll just know? Also with hazard perception, should I just do practice tests to prepare or should I actually revise information?
Original post by DispiritedDream
How do I memorise lots of road signs? Will it be super obvious once I remember them like when I look at them I'll just know? Also with hazard perception, should I just do practice tests to prepare or should I actually revise information?

I made quick flashcards on the road signs and learnt then that way. Don’t worry about making them aesthetically pleasing, as long as you know what the road sign shows, you will be fine. Sometimes, the signs show images that make it quite obvious what they are showing. Use this to your advantage.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by revising information for the hazard perception. Practice is key for this section. People usually mess up because they can’t identity a ‘developing hazard’ or click too many times, again because they have no idea what they are supposed to be looking for. Master this and you will be fine.

Good luck!
For questions imo you should be able to rattle through 5 mock tests in a row without more than 1-2 errors each, and even then you should look up those errors. Definitely be confident with your stopping distances on dry, wet & icy roads and revise ALL sections of the test, even the boring bits that likely don't really apply to you like caravans (I got stung with about 4 caravan Qs my first time and I'd just ignored them, silly way to fail/pay money) (edit - revise where and what sides of the road you can park on, obv NO ONE follows this in real life, but it can be in the test)

For road signs I didn't really bother as tbh MOST of are self explanatory or variations of a type (like speed limits) but its worth just going through lists of them to see if any jump out as 'WTF does that mean?' then you can look it up. (I should add that I learned to drive a bit later in life, so I had decades of passive exp with roads and roadsigns in general, even if not a driver)

For the hazard perception my main advice is don't overthink or stress, MOST of the hazards are pretty clear, vehicles quickly merging from the sides or bikes/pedestrians about to do something weird in front of you, quite a few with blind corners & junctions to spot as well, you might still get a few surprises but that covers most of them. Don't be tempted to mash the screen as it does fail the Q but you do have some wiggle room for clicks so not the end of the world if you're a bit early or make a mistake, in 3 tests I've only had a Q fail for over clicking once, and it still only takes a few points away and I passed ok. (I did no hazard revision for any of my tests and passed all 3 times)
Regarding roadsigns, it's good to remember the colour code for what they roughly mean. Bearing in mind the test is multiple choice of 4, just knowing the purpose of a sign by it's colour even if not the exact meaning might be enough for you guess it.

For example red for danger or something you must or must not do, like stop, no entry, give way or speed limits. Explained in more detail here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending