The Student Room Group

AS Level Results Day Thread - 14/08/14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Oh my! What happened about it? Were their actual results better or worse than the initial ones? That's awful either way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The results (GCSE) were worse and with those she wouldn't have been allowed into sixth form, she was having a meeting about her not being allowed back in when she realised they weren't her subjects and therefore not her grades - her actual results were loads better :yep:

So always check the name :laugh:
Reply 381
Original post by MidnightDream
The results (GCSE) were worse and with those she wouldn't have been allowed into sixth form, she was having a meeting about her not being allowed back in when she realised they weren't her subjects and therefore not her grades - her actual results were loads better :yep:

So always check the name :laugh:

That's the worst results experience I've ever heard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edexcel maths - A
AQA Physics - A
Edexcel economics - B
AQA Chemistry - B/C (which sucks because I really like the subject)

It's just such a bloody long wait to results and it shouldn't matter but I can't decide on what unis or even what course to apply for until these results arrive and it's really unhealthy to be looking at these forums because there are so many confident geniuses which makes it even more nerve wracking to know these are the people you're competing against and honestly any hopes of getting a place at a top uni are sort of dashed but it's so addictive it doesn't make sense and so basically just unable to focus on anything else sorry
WJEC IT - C, maybe a B
AQA Biology - D
AQA Enviro Studies - D

Not enough revision and pointless ISA's, almost definitely resitting (maybe even the whole year) unless for some sort of miracle.
Reply 384
Original post by CD223
AAAA is such a bog standard prediction for people with As and A*s at GCSE. I swear they put no thought into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well clearly at my school they put some thought into it because I got As + A*s at gcse and now you should see how crappy my predictions are. I really hope I can prove them wrong on results day though- anyone else in this situation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
As the day gets closer, I'm getting a little nervous
Original post by CD223
What is the lowest combo of AS grades you can get and still achieve A*AA at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

CCC at AS to be in with a chance of getting A*A*A*. Bear in mind that it would be impossible to achieve As overall since at A2 you must achieve between 91% and 100% to average more than 80% overall. Hope this makes sense. It's a bit jumbly haha :tongue:
i might get 95 or below because ohysics would push me down in 3 relevant subjects. If maths and further maths my avg should be around 95-98. Im applying for maths ! Im worried about physics being 90 or lower it will pull my marks down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
i might get 95 or below because ohysics would push me down in 3 relevant subjects. If maths and further maths my avg should be around 95-98. Im applying for maths ! Im worried about physics being 90 or lower it will pull my marks down

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be fine. Which exam board do you do? And what are the titles of each exam (physics)?
Original post by Official'Maryan
Well clearly at my school they put some thought into it because I got As + A*s at gcse and now you should see how crappy my predictions are. I really hope I can prove them wrong on results day though- anyone else in this situation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think teachers get some kind of bonus when you exceed your predicted grade, this is why they predict you low purposely sometimes. At least that's what someone in my school told me.

Makes sense though I think, at least in my school. I got A* maths GCSE and A^ further maths and they still predicted me a C in Maths AS... :s-smilie:
Original post by disasterzone
Edexcel maths - A
AQA Physics - A
Edexcel economics - B
AQA Chemistry - B/C (which sucks because I really like the subject)

It's just such a bloody long wait to results and it shouldn't matter but I can't decide on what unis or even what course to apply for until these results arrive and it's really unhealthy to be looking at these forums because there are so many confident geniuses which makes it even more nerve wracking to know these are the people you're competing against and honestly any hopes of getting a place at a top uni are sort of dashed but it's so addictive it doesn't make sense and so basically just unable to focus on anything else sorry

haha it's true, I used to think I could stand a chance at Cambridge but after seeing people with 95+ums get rejected I have no chance
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if the ISA is included in the average ums?

Sorry for not multiquoting
Original post by Itsmonique
How did you find the exams for chemistry and psychology?

I do OCR chemistry and I found it quite good until I realised that I made loads of silly mistakes coz of the pressure

I do AQA A psychology and I found it really good. The first exam was great but the second was great but I made more mistakes on that paper.

how did you find the exams ??
Original post by Jasey
This is a bit random but i'm so happy to see a fellow essay-er, there's so much science and maths on here!

Haha I know exactly what you mean! It's reassuring to see that there are actually other people on TSR who are humanities students (my theory is that as our grades are harder to predict right down to our expected UMS, we generally post less apart from 'well I could get an A or I could get an E, who knows!')
Original post by scavi2008
Haha I know exactly what you mean! It's reassuring to see that there are actually other people on TSR who are humanities students (my theory is that as our grades are harder to predict right down to our expected UMS, we generally post less apart from 'well I could get an A or I could get an E, who knows!')

:lol: worst thing is Biology WJEC, is literally the same. You'd think it wasn't subjective but I literally could go from a C to 100%. It's crazy
Reply 395

I'm humanities too, and I too can't really predict how I did :s-smilie:
Reply 396

I feel the same! Everyone on here can fall back on unofficial mark schemes and know roughly what they got but for us we have genuinely no idea... can only really guess based on previous performance
Maths - A -
Physics - A -
Biology - A -
Chemistry - A -
General Studies - A -

Hopefully going to do Medicine at University! I've so far decided that I'm applying to:

Cambridge
UCL
UEA

And no clue on my fourth one.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:lol: worst thing is Biology WJEC, is literally the same. You'd think it wasn't subjective but I literally could go from a C to 100%. It's crazy

That sounds so scary! Normally the Sciences are quite straightforward with if an answer is right / wrong but there are definitely some grey areas.

Original post by iJess
I'm humanities too, and I too can't really predict how I did :s-smilie:

I totally get that...my Mum is convinced I'll get AAAA but I'm scared of getting my hopes too high - for all I know my grades could be much lower! My exams all felt like they went well, but from experience with essay-writing subjects, that doesn't really mean much.

Original post by Jasey
I feel the same! Everyone on here can fall back on unofficial mark schemes and know roughly what they got but for us we have genuinely no idea... can only really guess based on previous performance

Exactly! All my work in class has been to a high standard, but I find it difficult to compare what I remember doing in the exam to my previous work. If only there was a magical unofficial markscheme for English/History...

I feel I have a slightly better idea of how I did in Psychology and Spanish, however even those exams had essay questions in which could've gone either way!

Best of luck with all your results...8 days to go!
That sounds so scary! Normally the Sciences are quite straightforward with if an answer is right / wrong but there are definitely some grey areas.

With Chemistry and Physics it is cut and clear. But biology with WJEC seems like an essay :tongue: we even have essay questions :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest