The Student Room Group

Why Are Fat People Fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doob
its not 'for the sake of it' i answer plenty questions politely, no nastiness at all

its the retarded questions that people ask who posess no common sense that make me lol

Just because something is obvious to you doesn't mean other people don't need help with it
Reply 81
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Just because something is obvious to you doesn't mean other people don't need help with it

pls, just shutup, you are one of the worst posters on this forum lol
Original post by Doob
pls, just shutup, you are one of the worst posters on this forum lol

What an intelligent witty statement.basically your argument is "I like being rude to people and you've called me out on it therefore I'm going to try and insult you so I don't look stupid"
Reply 83
Original post by Booyah
Medical conditions could be something like hypothyroidism or Cushings syndrome. Also there are genetic links to a lack of a protein being produced called Leptin.

- from a lazy fat guy (well not that fat... I only eat pizza 3 times a week...)

Overweight people produce excess leptin since leptin correlates to the amount of fat store. The problem is that overweight people tend to develop leptin resistance, in the same manner that people with diabetes type 2 develop insulin resistance, so the brain is unresponsive to higher fat stores.

Actually overweight people have metabolic rates similar to or even higher than skinny people in most cases.
Reply 84
What an intelligent witty statement.basically your argument is "I like being rude to people and you've called me out on it therefore I'm going to try and insult you so I don't look stupid"

I wish i could say the same for any comments you have made, unfortunately you are some pseudo-intellectual forum poster, who actually believes anything they say should be taken seriously.

Strong black and white thinking also, i already told you, and you are more than welcome to check my post history, because i answer most questions politely.
Reply 85
Original post by Eveiebaby
That is quite a lot!

Still growing strong haha! Well growing...

But all jokes aside I do a lot of fitness atm and my diet throughout the week is extremely varied with lots of fruit + vegetables to fill me up.

Tbh I'm not really that fat, I should be considering what I eat though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
I wish i could say the same for any comments you have made, unfortunately you are some pseudo-intellectual forum poster, who actually believes anything they say should be taken seriously.

Strong black and white thinking also, i already told you, and you are more than welcome to check my post history, because i answer most questions politely.

You're trying to argue you're not rude to people by being rude!
Reply 87
Original post by Xotol
Overweight people produce excess leptin since leptin correlates to the amount of fat store. The problem is that overweight people tend to develop leptin resistance, in the same manner that people with diabetes type 2 develop insulin resistance, so the brain is unresponsive to higher fat stores.

Actually overweight people have metabolic rates similar to or even higher than skinny people in most cases.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/congenital-leptin-deficiency

Whilst I didn't say it I did sort of hint towards a genetic deficiency. If there is a protein being produced I'm 99% sure there is going to be someone who cannot produce it properly. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/congenital-leptin-deficiency
Reply 88
You're trying to argue you're not rude to people by being rude!

You have horrendous reading comprehension, either that, or you are trying to manipulate my words to aid your argument :cool:

I said im not rude to people who ask normal questions, that are actually sensible.
Original post by Doob
You have horrendous reading comprehension, either that, or you are trying to manipulate my words to aid your argument :cool:

I said im not rude to people who ask normal questions, that are actually sensible.

Just because something seems stupid to you doesn't give you the right to be rude to someone
Reply 90
Just because something seems stupid to you doesn't give you the right to be rude to someone

yes it does
In order for people to learn they have to be free to ask questions, however silly they may seem, without criticism or ridicule. Being rude to someone will not allow them to do this, so why do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Metabolism simply describes the chemical processes that turn your food into energy. If you have more calories in you, you're going to be using more of it up in these processes. Literally that's it.

In MOST cases, the cause for overweight/obesity is simply this:

energy expenditure > energy intake

While it's important to take into account that some people do suffer from genetic disorders or other such unfortunate occurrences, most of the time the issue can be dealt with by cutting eating and moving around more. Too many people blame their problems on myths like slow metabolism when it simply isn't true.

Original post by Booyah
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/congenital-leptin-deficiency

Whilst I didn't say it I did sort of hint towards a genetic deficiency. If there is a protein being produced I'm 99% sure there is going to be someone who cannot produce it properly. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/congenital-leptin-deficiency

I know this happens rarely, but my post was outlining the main problem with leptin in overweight people. Most overweight people develop leptin resistance; only a small minority have a genetic deficiency in leptin. As such, the former is more clinically important, though I should have made it clearer in my initial post what I was trying to get at. :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Xotol
Metabolism simply describes the chemical processes that turn your food into energy. If you have more calories in you, you're going to be using more of it up in these processes. Literally that's it.

In MOST cases, the cause for overweight/obesity is simply this:

energy expenditure > energy intake

While it's important to take into account that some people do suffer from genetic disorders or other such unfortunate occurrences, most of the time the issue can be dealt with by cutting eating and moving around more. Too many people blame their problems on myths like slow metabolism when it simply isn't true.

I know this happens rarely, but my post was outlining the main problem with leptin in overweight people. Most overweight people develop leptin resistance; only a small minority have a genetic deficiency in leptin. As such, the former is more clinically important, though I should have made it clearer in my initial post what I was trying to get at. :smile:

Oooohhhh don't you get clever with me sir! :bricks:
Original post by Doob
yes it does

Why? Different people find different things easy. Just because you think something is a stupid question doesn't mean it is
Original post by myblueheaven339
In order for people to learn they have to be free to ask questions, however silly they may seem, without criticism or ridicule. Being rude to someone will not allow them to do this, so why do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly
Reply 96
Why? Different people find different things easy. Just because you think something is a stupid question doesn't mean it is

stop being so pedantic

when someone asks a question like 'i cant lose weight, no matter how much i go to the gym!' it is a stupid question, because half the time, they eat more than they burn in off in the gym

how is that not common sense? Are you really trying to defend idiots and not make them try and analyse their issues?
Original post by Doob
stop being so pedantic

when someone asks a question like 'i cant lose weight, no matter how much i go to the gym!' it is a stupid question, because half the time, they eat more than they burn in off in the gym

how is that not common sense? Are you really trying to defend idiots and not make them try and analyse their issues?

Because some people genuinely don't know. And they have no idea where to start. "Google it" is only useful if you know where to start

Why is it so hard to be polite?
Reply 98
Because some people genuinely don't know. And they have no idea where to start. "Google it" is only useful if you know where to start

Why is it so hard to be polite?

all they have to do is google their question and they will get an answer, its not rocket science, i cant believe i have to explain such simple concepts to you
Reply 99
Original post by AllyTee
Most would say that the obvious answer is lack of exercise/eating too much, but some also claim that there are genetic reasons and things like a "fat gene."

Is the latter true or a load of BS? I think all the fat people I know would be slim if they worked out and ate properly.

Lazyness and being stuck in an unhealthy cycle

Quick Reply

Latest