The Student Room Group

Gaming PC Build - £500

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XTimmoX
Latest Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£16.48 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£81.44 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£65.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (£53.57 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£222.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case (£54.29 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£53.35 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.05 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £714.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 17:13 BST+0100

Mum and Dad have agreed to buy the CPU for me, which brings the build down to £560, which I'm happy with (considering I now have better CPU, better motherboard, better cooler and a R9 280x compared to 270x from when I started!) :smile:

you can probably get a much cheaper case

and the video card looks like overkill . that card is 200, new, on ebay
Reply 101
Original post by democracyforum
you can probably get a much cheaper case

and the video card looks like overkill . that card is 200, new, on ebay

Yh but at the end of the day, I'd rather spend an extra £20 on the thing that's going to be most viewable and contain all my hardware... it's not going on the floor - it will be on my desk so I want it to look good.

And why's it overkill? It's only one up from the 270x, and I only switched from Sapphire to MSI because apparently MSI have better cooling than Sapphire..

It's not like it will play everything at 100FPS+, it's a good video card, yes, but not overkill surely?

EDIT: I don't trust eBay tho, not for a £200 GPU - especially if I need to return it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XTimmoX
Yh but at the end of the day, I'd rather spend an extra £20 on the thing that's going to be most viewable and contain all my hardware... it's not going on the floor - it will be on my desk so I want it to look good.

And why's it overkill? It's only one up from the 270x, and I only switched from Sapphire to MSI because apparently MSI have better cooling than Sapphire..

It's not like it will play everything at 100FPS+, it's a good video card, yes, but not overkill surely?

EDIT: I don't trust eBay tho, not for a £200 GPU - especially if I need to return it

I know, I meant official ebay stores. they are good for returns.

I have always gone for nvidia anyway, they consume half the power of AMD
Reply 103
I know, I meant official ebay stores. they are good for returns.

I have always gone for nvidia anyway, they consume half the power of AMD

Do you have a link for this £200 MSI 280x..?

What's nvidia's match for the 280x?
Original post by XTimmoX

nvidia equivalent might be a gtx 680 . this chart is debateable

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32899-7.html

Some are 180 pounds. from official stores too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Graphics-Video-Cards-/27386/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_sop=15&_nkw=r9+280x&LH_PrefLoc=1

A used 280x is 150 pounds. wow.
(edited 9 years ago)
A used 280x is 150 pounds. wow.

But then, what are the chances it will die on you in a few weeks because it was used for mining? I should think most of those have made it through the system though.

wtf how can you say gt 680 is quiv to r9 280x ? you're insane. People should really stop posting on this thread if they have no idea what they have talking about.
Reply 107
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
wtf how can you say gt 680 is quiv to r9 280x ? you're insane. People should really stop posting on this thread if they have no idea what they have talking about.

I presume you're saying the GT 680 is far better than the R9 280X?
Reply 108
Original post by Jammy Duel
But then, what are the chances it will die on you in a few weeks because it was used for mining? I should think most of those have made it through the system though.

what's mining? :s-smilie:
Original post by XTimmoX

Dude, for your own good, don't ask people on tsr about computers ever again. 90% of people on this thread don't even know what they're saying and you will just end up disappointed. Reading some comments here just makes me laugh. I've built PC's all my life, I would highly reccommend you take my advice. the r9 280x is NOT an overkill card. It is the right card for the current generation of gaming at very high/max settings 1080p gaming. You will AVERAGE 60fps in high end games like Battlefield 4. You will get 100fps + in other games that aren't graphically intense, like say, mw3, league of legends, w.e.

If you want proper advice, go on tomshardware forum, or just take my advice.

Good luck.
Original post by XTimmoX
I presume you're saying the GT 680 is far better than the R9 280X?

R9 280x has been optimized for the future. The thing about the 280x is it's default clock settings used to be far lower than what the card can actually achieve without damaging the card. That's why the newer releases such as the TOXIC version from sapphire and the windforce version from gigabyte, even the MSI version, have higher clock and mem speeds, surpassing the gt 680 by a mile!!! On top of this, the r9 280x is better in every single way, more shading units wider mem bus and gives significantly higher fps in games. most reviews of the 280x are based on it having 850 mhz clock, whereas the gt 680 has 1000mhz. Today, all 280x's are sold with clock of 1020, with room for even more. ( mine is running at 1150 without needing to increase voltage, 100%) The Toxic version is sold at 1100mz as default.
(edited 9 years ago)

gtx 680 is the same as as the r9 280

go away

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2359045

although the 280 has 3gb, which is needed for watch dogs

He's an AMD fan, he knows Nvidia is better at the moment. They consume half the power of AMD cards , Nvidia are the future.
(edited 9 years ago)
gtx 680 is the same as as the r9 280

go away

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2359045

He's an AMD fan, he knows Nvidia is better at the moment. They consume half the power of AMD cards , Nvidia are the future.

What are you talking about ? I'm not an AMD fan boy, I have 3 computers, 2 of which have Nvidia GPU's, and i built all three. The r9 280x is equiv to gtx 770, not gtx 680. And even still, the r9 280x is better for gaming, because most games are AMD optimized, and the new amd software Mantle is going big !

I'm telling the OP what is best for HIM, and for HIS budget.

r9 280x = gtx 770 > gtx 680

Nvidia cards tend to be a lot more expensive for no absolute reason, and since sales of nvidia cards are falling as AMD are starting to gain customers back, nvidia have started cutting their prices drastically.

Your knowledge of computers is minimal, educate yourself before posting on this thread again. I'd love to see gtx 680 do 60fps on ultra with AA at 1080p on bf4. Whereas the 280x can do that comfortably.
(edited 9 years ago)

which isn't even a true statement :tongue:
which isn't even a true statement :tongue:

i meant for highest settings
Nvidia cards tend to be a lot more expensive for no absolute reason,

Well, for a start you get CUDA, better pwoer efficiency and substantially lower temperatures

and since sales of nvidia cards are falling as AMD are starting to gain customers back, nvidia have started cutting their prices drastically.

Except they haven't been cutting prices expect where they would be expected regardless, such as 770 and 780 being dropped when 780Ti came out.
i meant for highest settings

Still not a true statement :tongue:
Just because they claim it needs 3 doesn't mean it actually does.
And that's even without the Worse Mod
Well, for a start you get CUDA, better pwoer efficiency and substantially lower temperatures

Except they haven't been cutting prices expect where they would be expected regardless, such as 770 and 780 being dropped when 780Ti came out.

MANTLE > CUDA

CUDA isn't even worth the extra £££ vs its equiv AMD counterpart now because of MANTLE.

hands down, I used to be an NVIDIA fan boy, but AMD are back.

It's the truth, I tested it myself, and it has been tested by others, I have to tell you.

Nvidia do run at lower temps, but that isn't to say AMD don't run at safe temps.
(edited 9 years ago)

simply AMD favouritism

AMD processors and GPUs will keep you warm in winter though
MANTLE > CUDA

CUDA isn't even worth the extra £££ vs its equiv AMD counterpart now because of MANTLE.

hands down, I used to be an NVIDIA fan boy, but AMD are back.

It's the truth, I tested it myself, and it has been tested by others, I have to tell you.

Nvidia do run at lower temps, but that isn't to say AMD don't run at safe temps.

Mantle was a failure

and would that be the 95c on stock idle settings on the R9 290 i think ?

Quick Reply

Latest