The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks.

I have heard that before, about some universities not recommending Law. Do you know why?
Reply 21
ub3r
Thanks.

I have heard that before, about some universities not recommending Law. Do you know why?

I'm not too sure to be honest.

A UCL law lecturer once told me that most people who study law at a-level are quite shocked when they begin law at uni because of the huge difference in style and approach, and that all of them had to wipe out all the ideas and skills they developed while studying law at a-level, and start fresh like all the others. Though if you intend on taking law at college, do not be deterred.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best.
Morgan141
Hmm, a difficult one certainly. Are you sure there aren't any other subjects you could do?

If I were you I'd take psychology. However it will probably damage your chances of getting into the very top universities.

Will it hell.
You have three traditional and respected subjects. You don't need a forth 'big gun'. Taking psychology will be absolutely fine for law (plenty of people at my uni did it BUT with two traditionals).
However, I must admit maths is a good one to have for this particular subject.

But saying that, you don't like maths. It might be good, but it's not necessary and the important thing is, quite simply, you don't like it.
So don't do it :smile:
ub3r
Thanks.

They want a clean slate. Studying law at A-level could easily encourage you to pick up bad habits.
Don't study it - because some unis don't like it and the ones that don't mind it don't actually care if you have it. It won't put you at an advantage.
ub3r
Hey, i have a simliar problem. I to want to study Law at university.

I have chosen 3 subjects to study at college, which are Law, Psychology and English Language.

Do you think these are the right subjects to study, if i want to go on to study Law at university?

And do you think i should chose another subject to study as well, and what subject?

Thanks.

Law is very competitive, so yes, a 4th AS would definitely be advisable. Your choices so far are OK, but you might want to go for something a bit more respected for the last one. English lit, history, languages, maths and the sciences are all good.
kellywood_5
Law is very competitive, so yes, a 4th AS would definitely be advisable. Your choices so far are OK, but you might want to go for something a bit more respected for the last one. English lit, history, languages, maths and the sciences are all good.

Hmmm.... to ub3r: Choosing Law, Psych and English Language together is not the best idea to be honest.

English Language is good. Either law or psychology would be ok. But you need a core subject in there somewhere, seriously. History would be a very good choice for law.
Reply 26
Just take psychology if you hate maths. 5 ASs just isnt worth the work! you wont get any preferential treatment at unis for doing an extra one, whether its respctable or not.

I did 4, and that included sociology, which many people consider to be in the same sort of "mickey mouse catagory" as psychology... but i got into 5 top law schools and pooled for cambridge. Soi know what im talking about. :smile:
brimstone
If you can't spell psychology, don't take it. Simple as.

Good point!

I'd take both and drop one if it's all too much work.
I'd suggest Maths over psychology because Maths is much more respected (This isn't my opinion, just what the universities seem to promote). Psychology is interesting however is a brand new style of writing, a brand new subject from scratch. I did 5 As levels including psych and English Lit and French and I WARN YOU: It's a very different style. That shouldn't scare you however because, as long as you know, you can go in and enjoy it. I did (despite the hell of coursework) and I got full marks in both exams. It's a lot of work but I'd say Maths carries more weight academically.
I agree with everything -1984- has said :p:

Just cant be bothered to type it all out again :frown:
Thankyou for all the replies guys - greatly appreciated.

I have decided to stick with 4 AS Levels, however I am taking maths as oppsosed to psychology. I think 'absoloutly hate' was a bit of an over-exaggeration, and when thinking about it, i only began hating maths after a few horrible exam papers.

I know people have advised me to take psychology as i have 3 other academic subjects, but with so many students with straight A's nowadays, i'm worried that universities will begin to look at other things, such as an academic and diverse range of subjects, and i think doing maths gives me the science/arts mix, which unis seem to like.

So final choice: English Lit, French, History, Maths...

Am i making the right decision? And is maths AS a LOT harder than GCSe maths?
Reply 31
polkadotprincess
Thankyou for all the replies guys - greatly appreciated.

I have decided to stick with 4 AS Levels, however I am taking maths as oppsosed to psychology. I think 'absoloutly hate' was a bit of an over-exaggeration, and when thinking about it, i only began hating maths after a few horrible exam papers.

I know people have advised me to take psychology as i have 3 other academic subjects, but with so many students with straight A's nowadays, i'm worried that universities will begin to look at other things, such as an academic and diverse range of subjects, and i think doing maths gives me the science/arts mix, which unis seem to like.

So final choice: English Lit, French, History, Maths...

As long as its your choice, I'm sure it is the right choice. Good luck.

As for your last question, are you being serious? It will obviously be harder. I myself did not take maths A-level, but a few mates from my 6th form did, and they found A2 maths especially hard. However, I'm sure you will be fine.
Reply 32
polkadotprincess

For someone with an A* at GCSE, AS maths should be fine.

Latest