The Student Room Group

living at home while going to uni or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilovemaths96
a note about studying:
the gap between finishing exams and starting first day of uni will be for me about 13/14 weeks, so naturally i will have forgotten something.
In your first year lecturers will build upon your a2 work and extend it, so its logical to study to ensure that I'm not behind, I've done sufficient revision etc.

Somebody made a point about studying for an hour a day which is fine if you don't care that much. How do you know that your first year exam results don't count towards or don't mean anything? I don't.

Moonstruck 16 says: In all honesty, are you going to wake up, go to lectures, come home and study and then sleep? Not cooking for yourself, not doing your own shopping etc.

Seriously? I really don't have time for irrelevant crap like this. I am not going to study for 24/7 either, its impossible, course i want to have a social life and meet other people.

University life will be a completely different experience for me, which is why that comment of 2 hours of cooking seemed to be so controversial. You are going to cook for that amount of time through the day anyway or maybe less. The point of this thread was to ask those who care about having a shot at 1st class degree, and doing well academically, if living on your own will have a bad impact on that, whether it will be worth it. A couple of you missed the point.

The first year really means nothing I have been through uni so I know you need to pass but the grades don't carry over the first yere is just to get you up too speed
If you choose a uni in a different town, yes move out.
If you choose a uni in the same town and commuting is easy, then I'd recommend not to.
Unless your doing a HND or something the grades don't carry over from the first mean you still need to pass but that's all in second year that's when it actually matters you'll get something like 30% then 70% in the final year. Uni is such a step up the first year is to get you used to it and the first few weeks will refresh what you need from a2. If you feel you want to revise over the summer than do but don't forget to have some fun as well.
Increasingly, in my old uni, my coursemates commute and share a flat together (in the same city). So someone cooks, someone cleans the flat...etc. We don't learn how to cook, we don't live on pizza and pot noodles and we definitely do not choose between eating and going out. Even though I've switched unis, I've stayed in the same city so I continue my flat share. :smile:

It's the perfect compromise of living close to my parents and independence :smile:

The only problem is that since living with other people, I'll miss living with other people other than my boyfriend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending