The Student Room Group

TV License: What the literal fudge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marco14196
Good evening ladies and gents, posting this thread to ask some specifics about the stupid TV license. Now, none of us like paying the blasted thing and I honestly think the BBC should just adopt advertising and cut the license by 25-40%. I have a question. I'm 18 and off to University(hopefully) in a month. I own a Retina MacBook Pro and a desktop gaming/media computer. I considered bringing my TV with me, mainly to utilise my trusty old Nintendo Gamecube but I will probably buy a cable converter. My question is this. EVEN if I NEVER intend to watch any live programming in the next 4 years, do I have to get a TV license. It's pretty ridiculous that I have to buy this worthless license to finance the incompetents at the BBC so they can overpay a few executives up in corporate. I would only ever likely use streaming services like BBC iPlayer or one of the other competitors or other services such as Netflix or iTunes. Some clarification would be lovely

If you stream live shows on computer, the BBC can't prove that you're watching tv live and you technically would need to pay but since they can't prove you're watching live tv, you won't have to pay tv licence.
(edited 9 years ago)
I actually followed the advice on one of their letters once, and rang them to tell them I wasn't watching TV live so could they please leave me alone - and they did! Then I moved about 5 months later and the letters started again. Seriously though, give them a ring and just tell them and they'll stop harassing you.

Those letters used to drive me crazy though... it's not even they're just saying "pay your licence", I got one once that essentially said "this is the end of the road pal, we're taking you to court, see you there!" and I had a total freak out til I read the small print on the back. Their lies and threats can get pretty extreme.
It's worth bearing in mind that if you have a TV Licence at your permanent address (e.g. your parents' house where you return outside of term-time), and you watch live TV on a portable device like a tablet or a laptop which isn't plugged into the mains, then you also don't need a licence.

See the middle box on http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1. They make it sound like some rare exception but realistically most students I know who watch live TV do so on a tablet or a laptop.

TV Licensing are absolute dicks. They send out letters implying you need a licence without any evidence that you even have a display in your accommodation, but they word them so cleverly that they technically say if you watch live TV etc then you need a licence.

They also say that they may send somebody round to inspect your property. If they don't have a search warrant, you don't have to let them in. To get a search warrant they'd need reasonable suspicion that you have equipment capable of receiving live TV installed, which they can only really do by looking through your window or somebody reporting you (the technology does exist to make TV detector vans which detect TVs, but I saw a Freedom of Information request a while back in which the BBC effectively said they don't have it; they're just empty vans).
You only need a TV licence if you're watching live TV. That being said, I wonder how many people (uni students in particular) bother to have a licence even if they are watching live TV
Original post by seaholme

Those letters used to drive me crazy though... it's not even they're just saying "pay your licence", I got one once that essentially said "this is the end of the road pal, we're taking you to court, see you there!" and I had a total freak out til I read the small print on the back. Their lies and threats can get pretty extreme.

My favourite over the top letter in halls was one that read:

"We asked but you still haven't gotten a license. Fine*.

*Fine of £1000, payable by you."

It was hilarious.

Also, yeah, if inspectors come round you can tell them to pike off. When I worked in halls as a warden in my final year we were under instructions from the university to kick out any TV inspectors we saw, unless they were accompanied by a police officer and had a warrant.

They were never accompanied by a police officer.
Original post by DarkWhite
It's worth bearing in mind that if you have a TV Licence at your permanent address (e.g. your parents' house where you return outside of term-time), and you watch live TV on a portable device like a tablet or a laptop which isn't plugged into the mains, then you also don't need a licence.

See the middle box on http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1. They make it sound like some rare exception but realistically most students I know who watch live TV do so on a tablet or a laptop.

TV Licensing are absolute dicks. They send out letters implying you need a licence without any evidence that you even have a display in your accommodation, but they word them so cleverly that they technically say if you watch live TV etc then you need a licence.

They also say that they may send somebody round to inspect your property. If they don't have a search warrant, you don't have to let them in. To get a search warrant they'd need reasonable suspicion that you have equipment capable of receiving live TV installed, which they can only really do by looking through your window or somebody reporting you (the technology does exist to make TV detector vans which detect TVs, but I saw a Freedom of Information request a while back in which the BBC effectively said they don't have it; they're just empty vans).

I didn't know that

So technically you're allowed to watch live TV on your laptop anywhere in the country as long as its not plugged into the mains and your family home has a licence?
Reply 27
You only need a TV licence if you're going to watch live TV. If you're using your TV for your Gamecube, or watching iPlayer, 4OD, etc., programmes after they've aired, but never live TV, then you don't need one.
Original post by Jack93o
I didn't know that

So technically you're allowed to watch live TV on your laptop anywhere in the country as long as its not plugged into the mains and your family home has a licence?

Correct!

Presumably this is either a legacy from the times when people had 'portable TVs' and were taking them to caravans and whatnot; or a genuine recognition of how mobile people are these days.
To be fair, there's nothing in TV which is worthwhile watching let alone paying £150 for. Leave the TV at home and enjoy uni!
Youre meant to pay it as long as you have a TV but no one does really..
I won't be getting a TV licence for uni but I'm thinking about getting Netflix. Is it good and worth getting? :wink:
Original post by BlueStrawberries
I won't be getting a TV licence for uni but I'm thinking about getting Netflix. Is it good and worth getting? :wink:

Yes.

You get 30 days free trial too.
just wondering, do you need a tv license to watch twitch.tv streams? And you say you only need it for live tv, does this mean for example I could watch coronation street on the tv due to not being live?
Original post by Joshale
just wondering, do you need a tv license to watch twitch.tv streams? And you say you only need it for live tv, does this mean for example I could watch coronation street on the tv due to not being live?

You'd need to get one, yes it is pre-recorded but at the time of it being on would class it as being live TV, but after it has been on and up on ITV player you can as then it wont be live.
Original post by brownbearxo

Incorrect

That's incorrect... You can use a TV to watch catch-up tv but if you are watching live tv then you need a licence. Same goes for laptops/game consoles.
Reply 37

Oh dear. Read thread before replying :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Joshale
just wondering, do you need a tv license to watch twitch.tv streams?

Those are private streams, not actual broadcast television. No licence required.
Reply 39
Quick question, I have a now t.v. box which is mainly catch up but does have the option to watch some channels live. Will I need a tv license, even if I don't use the live t.v. option?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending