The Student Room Group

President Obama authorises air-strikes on Islamist barbarians

President Obama has authorised airstrikes against the ISIS horde to protect the 40,000 Yezidi stuck on Mount Sinjar. The ISIS horde has surrounded them and told them they must convert or die (I suppose ISIS is acting very much in accordance with the actions of the Prophet Mohammed). President Obama quoted an Iraqi woman, "Earlier this week, one Iraqi said no-one is coming to help. Well, today, America is coming to help". I believe this is a totally justified and positive use of American military power, to protect an ancient religious minority whose religion is older than Christianity and Islam (I think they worship Mithra, who was worshipped in Roman times). The destructive hatred of the ISIS horde reminds me of the Islamist barbarians in Africa who burned the Library of Timbuktu.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
About time the ISIS were destroyed.
But unfortunately it won't stop others from having the same views that the ISIS share and starting the process again. It could even trigger another 7/7 or 9/11.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
ISIS and Hamas need to be removed from the earth.
Once again we have to save the day and come to the rescue.
Reply 4
So they're dropping aid to the refugees and airstrikes on the IS. Wonder how long it's going to be before they get them confused... :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by alex193
So they're dropping aid to the refugees and airstrikes on the IS. Wonder how long it's going to be before they get them confused... :s-smilie:

Don't worry. The world only cares when Israel accidentally kills civilians :smile:
This is a positive use of the American military machine for once as long as they just do what needs to be done and don't get too muddlesome for self gain purposes.
Shouldnt take long, the drones are only in nearby Pakistan.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28709530

Finally Obama grew a pair! Hopefully they can wipe out ISIS bringing nothing but terror to minorities across Iraq.

This is the only way to deal with Islamic extremists across the middle east.
One does not simply wipeout an organisation like isis with a few airstrikes m8

It's a start tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide

It's a start tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

One does not simply let a radical islamist organisation run wild.

You need to throw in a few bangs, pew pew. It's the only way the free forward thinking world will survive. Middle east been thrown into poverty!
Original post by QuantumSuicide

It's a start tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Iraw army just needs some help, they can deal with most of it themselves.
Why don't they bomb Israel while they're at it as well?

And it''s funny hearing that America wants to help when they created the mess in the first place.

What's more shocking about this whole thing is that the christian population inside iraq is very low compared to the Muslims (both shia/sunni), including the kurds. Going into a country to save a minority of it's citizens while killing the majority seems completely ridiculous to me. But ofc people will support America and see them as the heroes they truly are. :wink:
hopefully this sends oil prices back up
Great news from the USA. Islamists must be crushed by the free west. Perhaps Israel can aid the USA.
This is good news. Obama has been cautious because he didn't want the US to re-embroil itself in Iraq, but things have got so bad and the self-styled 'Islamic State' are so deranged that it has become a basic humanitarian need. The US must also defend Kurdistan and it seems they will soon be doing so, as they have declared that they will stop the insurgents reaching Irbil, albeit (so far) under the pretext that there is a US consulate there.

Some basic points:

- this is not Gaza and the equivalence being drawn between ISIS and Hamas by some is a stretch. Israel is at least partly responsible for the current overall situation through decades of systematic mistreatment of the Palestinians, inspiring the sort of Al-Queda - driven elements who have joined ISIS. We shouldn't make the error of falling for Israel's simplistic labelling of their Palestinian enemies as 'the same terrorists' as ISIS, although doubtless there are links.

- this is not a sign that there was something deeply wrong with the Arab Spring. If anything, that was a huge lurch by the Arab street towards democracy. It has subsequently been colonised by extreme elements like ISIS, but they are at least partly a reaction to the tyranny and evil dished out by authoritarian regimes like Assad.

- just because ISIS are bad does not make Syria (or Iraq) good. The Iraqi government are a case in point - they have helped develop the current crisis by being a Shia government, not a national one.

- long term we shouldn't be involved. This is an internal crisis within Islam between Shia and Sunni, exacerbated by Western involvement and by Russia siding with and protecting a corrupt and debased tyranny in Syria. We should continue to pressure Russia and (I believe) we should depose Assad.
Reply 16
"Hope and change!"
Its about time America tried to clear up the mess they made... The UK should also be helping imo.
Reply 18
Original post by cuckoo99
Its about time America tried to clear up the mess they made... The UK should also be helping imo.

We are, with food drops and logistical support. In terms of military force I think the US has it covered.
This is excellent news. I feel our military assistance should be limited to air strikes, not ground troops. It's nice to see some positive effect of the US military. I'd imagine this should connote the relief the 40,000 Yezidi feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending