The Student Room Group

How much physics is there in petroluem engineering?

Hi, i considering pursuing a career in petroleum engineering(PE). I took biology maths and chemistry alevels , and was wondering how much physics there would be for this course. This is because i heard that i would be at a slight disadvantage studying PE having not studied physics at alevel.

Could anyone who knows write down a list of alevel physics topics i might need to look over prior?, so that i'll be more ready. And tell me how you found studying PE.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Petroleum Engg is a Chemistry-based Engineering, so the answer is: very little. Yet, you should check the University's website for course structure because it can vary from Uni to Uni. After consulting several Uni websites, you can easily choose the one which appeals to you!
Reply 2
Thanks for answering my question. I'm also wondering if there will be much mechanics maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by hamsa16
Thanks for answering my question. I'm also wondering if there will be much mechanics maths.

In ChemEng in general there's a lot of applied maths and physics (the mechanics and materials parts, and then heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics etc.), and some chemistry. :tongue: Petroleum engineering might contain a bit more chemistry and geology than a general ChemEng course. There would certainly still be LOTS of maths!
What I fail to understand is why are you even bothering yourself with Petroleum engineering if you hate chemistry, is it for the big bucks?<br>Why not go for a Physics based engineering like Aerospace, Aeronautics/Aeronautical, Computer, Electronic, Information Systems.... a lot to choose from. I'm also a Math-Physics-CS guy and have always hated chemistry (even watching breaking bad didn't help it!)&nbsp;<br>The main thing to note here is if you're passionate enough for a career, you'll end up making big bucks anyway.<br>Also, Petroleum engineering has the highest starting salary but over the career, the median doesn't increase steadily. Go for Comp Engineering, they are a LOT in demand and are even sought after by the bulge bracket investment banks! The future's in Applied Maths and CS.&nbsp;
Original post by Oneness_Charmer
Petroleum Engg is a Chemistry-based Engineering, so the answer is: very little.

That's not true at all...

To answer the OP, there's absolutely loads of physics in petroleum engineering, as with all engineering disciplines.
Original post by Smack

To answer the OP, there's absolutely loads of physics in petroleum engineering, as with all engineering disciplines.

That's not true at all....

So you're saying that Bioinformatics Engineering requires physics? Lol
Original post by BlueGangsta
That's not true at all....

So you're saying that Bioinformatics Engineering requires physics? Lol

Is there even such a discipline?
Original post by Smack
Is there even such a discipline?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinformatics
Reply 9
I'm studying chemical engineering which is quite similar. Although not from an Alevels background, you'll be surprised that it's not all about chemistry. There's a lot of physics involved and mathematics. Organic chemistry would be useful. I don't know of you've done hybridisation, but that's something to check out before you go to UNI! It'll help a lot!

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And how is that engineering?
Bioinformatics, isn't engineering I'm
Afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bioinformatics is more like an applied science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack

It's true, any form of engineering has lots of physics, but we do separate engg. branches on the subject heaviness. Just an informal expression, not a formal definition. So chem heavy engg would have more chem and little physics and physics heavy engg would have more physics and less chem.
Furthermore, different specializations in engg makes it possible to avoid a subject almost completely.
Let's take the example of computer engineering, sure you would have to study chemistry if you specialize in hardware because you would need to know which different compounds and elements work better to designs chips and such, but if you specialize in software or information systems or such, you can avoid almost whole of chemistry beyond the required 1st semester.
Reply 14
Original post by numanali
I'm studying chemical engineering which is quite similar. Although not from an Alevels background, you'll be surprised that it's not all about chemistry. There's a lot of physics involved and mathematics. Organic chemistry would be useful. I don't know of you've done hybridisation, but that's something to check out before you go to UNI! It'll help a lot!

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Moved to engineering forum :smile:
Reply 16
What I fail to understand is why are you even bothering yourself with Petroleum engineering if you hate chemistry, is it for the big bucks?<br>Why not go for a Physics based engineering like Aerospace, Aeronautics/Aeronautical, Computer, Electronic, Information Systems.... a lot to choose from. I'm also a Math-Physics-CS guy and have always hated chemistry (even watching breaking bad didn't help it!)&nbsp;<br>The main thing to note here is if you're passionate enough for a career, you'll end up making big bucks anyway.<br>Also, Petroleum engineering has the highest starting salary but over the career, the median doesn't increase steadily. Go for Comp Engineering, they are a LOT in demand and are even sought after by the bulge bracket investment banks! The future's in Applied Maths and CS.&nbsp;

To be honest i love chemistry and maths, and don't mind going over any gaps in my knowledge for the physics side of PE. But i don't want to do PE if there is an overwhelming amount of physics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hamsa16
To be honest i love chemistry and maths, and don't mind going over any gaps in my knowledge for the physics side of PE. But i don't want to do PE if there is an overwhelming amount of physics.

Ha ha, I guess I thought you hated chemistry. Don't know why I thought that when you were explicitly concerned about Physics;
if chem and math are a go then you'll love PE. But you should also consider Bio-medical engineering or a degree in Biotech, they're HOT right now and have the highest success rates for Medical school too (doesn't matter whether you wanna be a doctor just something to consider).
It's true, any form of engineering has lots of physics, but we do separate engg. branches on the subject heaviness. Just an informal expression, not a formal definition. So chem heavy engg would have more chem and little physics and physics heavy engg would have more physics and less chem.
Furthermore, different specializations in engg makes it possible to avoid a subject almost completely.
Let's take the example of computer engineering, sure you would have to study chemistry if you specialize in hardware because you would need to know which different compounds and elements work better to designs chips and such, but if you specialize in software or information systems or such, you can avoid almost whole of chemistry beyond the required 1st semester.

What I objected to was your statement that there was "very little" physics in petroleum engineering when it is, in fact, jam packed with it. The description of it being more chemistry than physics based is simply not true.
I don't know what to say...

Quick Reply

Latest