The Student Room Group

when a road is narrow, how do you know for sure you have room to progress?

yes when the road is narrow, be it for whatever reason - a parked car on the left or a genuinely narrow road, how can you be for CERTAIN that you have or dont have enough room to carry on?

i had my 2nd driving lesson today, went on alot of busy roads and places - pretty cool for only my 2nd lesson - but was sometimes tentative when to go in narrow areas for fear of hitting the car to my right side, so my instructor would tell me to if i questioned or gently helped me steer it.

um i guess the question put simply is: when a road narrows for whichever reason, how can you be certain that your car can pass without it being hit?
Reply 1
Original post by BarBar-John
yes when the road is narrow, be it for whatever reason - a parked car on the left or a genuinely narrow road, how can you be for CERTAIN that you have or dont have enough room to carry on?

i had my 2nd driving lesson today, went on alot of busy roads and places - pretty cool for only my 2nd lesson - but was sometimes tentative when to go in narrow areas for fear of hitting the car to my right side, so my instructor would tell me to if i questioned or gently helped me steer it.

um i guess the question put simply is: when a road narrows for whichever reason, how can you be certain that your car can pass without it being hit?

Keep an eye on your left mirror, to ensure you're nice and close to the kerb/car/wall or whatever, and not leaving a big gap there...then really just proceed slowly past the opposing car. Making the judgement on whether it's too narrow or not will come with practice :smile:
Original post by BarBar-John
x

Original post by Tappouni
Keep an eye on your left mirror, to ensure you're nice and close to the kerb/car/wall or whatever, and not leaving a big gap there...then really just proceed slowly past the opposing car. Making the judgement on whether it's too narrow or not will come with practice :smile:

Basically what this guy said. Sooner or later, you'll just know how wide the car is and which gaps you can get through and which you have to wait for. If in doubt, ALWAYS wait and go when it's clear, don't take any unnecessary risks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending