The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm sitting in an office right now, earning dollars!

It helps to have a brother who is the managing director of the company though!!

Finished all my work, I work too fast.

What accomodation would you recommend? I'm thinking standard, who needs ensuite eh? Useful for bunging visitors in the shower but not much else!!
University of York
York
Reply 21
Well standard is £14 a week cheaper so if you aren't bothered about ensuite then go for that and you can't choose which college you end up with whatever you ask for. I applied for ensuite because I like the idea of having my own bathroom and my mum saw the standard accommodation and said no you are having ensuite so she made me put ensuite as my first choice. I thought I might as well apply for it to shut her up and I budgeted that much for accommodation anyway before I knew I was going to York.
Reply 22
KerriT
Well standard is £14 a week cheaper so if you aren't bothered about ensuite then go for that and you can't choose which college you end up with whatever you ask for. I applied for ensuite because I like the idea of having my own bathroom and my mum saw the standard accommodation and said no you are having ensuite so she made me put ensuite as my first choice. I thought I might as well apply for it to shut her up and I budgeted that much for accommodation anyway before I knew I was going to York.

14 quid a week is 7 pints of beer!!

But I like ensuite, like having my own space, but surely the idea of going uni is to share everything with like minded peers. Ideas, food, beer, clothes, bodily fluids :confused: (or so I have been led to believe).

As long as its not a sh*thole I'm happy. A bed, a desk, a ceiling, a window, a door and some heating for the winter. I need a desk big enough to fit my computer on mind you...
Reply 23
York is generally self-catered. All kitchens are furnished well.. i was staying in wentworth college.. life there was fantastic.
Reply 24
KerriT
I am so bored! It's driving me mad! I'm an English Language teacher to foreign students or speakers of other languages so I've applied for a job at the university and I'm going to see if any language schools need somone part-time or as a supply teacher or something, otherwise maybe some barwork but I'll try teaching first. I'm going to be studying History. You?

aw thats cool! wish i could do something like that lol! im going to be studying mental health nursing, so hopefully ill be able to pick up some casual work somewhere!!

id much prefer an en-suite too, especially if there's going to be quite a few people living there! be much nicer - but wouldnt be too bad without one i guess!

cant wait for October now!!!! :p:
Reply 25
Yup me too I can't wait until October, 5 weeks and 2 days before I arrive in York! The boredom is killing me!
Reply 26
All kitchens are furnished well

Not from what I saw of the other colleges :/

One of the colleges this year is going to have microwave kitchens, or something like that...
Reply 27
Actually there is a huge fridge (and especially freezer) space problem in James blocks DEF. Two fridges and one freezer is ridiculously inadequate for 16 people.
Reply 28
Astaroth
Actually there is a huge fridge (and especially freezer) space problem in James blocks DEF. Two fridges and one freezer is ridiculously inadequate for 16 people.

In my house of 5 people we struggle with two fridges and one massive freezer (the kind that has a top and bottom half, about 7' high?). Uni should be fun. I am really worried people are going to steal my food. I'm quite possesive of food.

You ever seen Joey on friends? I'm like that :frown:

Dont eat my pizza!!
Reply 29
People definitely will steal your food, which is why you will sabotage it to give them strange diseases and subsequently revel in the joy of vengeance.
Reply 30
The new Alcuin blocks has 2 fridges and 2 freezers (about 6' high), and that just about worked with 12 people. I knew people in the other colleges that had mini fridges in their rooms
Reply 31
I thought we weren't allowed mini fridges?
Reply 32
KerriT
I thought we weren't allowed mini fridges?

What you're allowed and what you can get away aren't necessarily the same thing :wink:. I'm planning to have 4 or 5 student bank accounts if I can, interest free overdrafts! Transfer money into high interest current account, every month transfer £300 into an ISA! Genius!!
Reply 33
I'm planning to have 4 or 5 student bank accounts if I can, interest free overdrafts!

Most of them will only give you it if it's the account your student loan is being paid in to...
Reply 34
laser
Most of them will only give you it if it's the account your student loan is being paid in to...

Some check whereas the others dont. I actually know a fair few people who are doing it already. Apparently at the freshers fair they dont ask to see your UCAS papers so just sign up and you should be ok. Maybe it's changed now though :confused:

Ah well, there is another con out there somewhere :tongue:.

hmmm... HBOS (£2,750 overdraft limit)

21 What extra conditions apply to our scheme for students and
to customers under the age of 18?
21.1 You must be at least 18 to open a Halifax Current Account.
You must be at least 16 to open a Cardcash account.
21.2 If you have a Halifax Current Account we will refer to you as a
‘student’ if you qualify for our students’ scheme because:
• you are a student in full-time education (that means a degree
course or similar course of further education); or
• you stopped being a student in full-time education in the last
12 months.
21.3 If you have a Halifax Current Account and you are a student,
the longest you can qualify for the students’ scheme is six years
(including the year after you stop being in full-time education).
21.4 If you have a Halifax Current Account and you keep your
account after you stop qualifying for our scheme for students,
this section of the conditions will no longer apply. But the rest
of the conditions will apply.
21.5 If you are under 18 years old, you are not allowed to go
overdrawn. We will not allow you to have an overdraft or a
card which can be used to get credit. When you reach 18, we
may write to you asking if you want to apply for an overdraft or
a card which allows you to get credit (or both). If you qualify,
you may also apply to join our scheme for students.
21.6 When you become 18, if you do not apply under condition 21.5
or we do not accept your application, you will not qualify as a
student and you will no longer qualify for any special terms,
such as higher credit interest rates, which apply to under 18s.
However, we may allow you to keep your account without
giving you an overdraft or a card which allows you to get credit.
21.7 We may change the age at which customers can open a Halifax
Current Account. We may also change the names of our
scheme for students.

Couldn't find any other mention in their T&C though.

ahar! it says:

HBOS
Customers are only permitted to have one Student Current Account.

:chin:
Having multiple bank accounts for that purpose is pretty unscrupulous. I don't even have an overdraft... though I am pretty broke. Really ought to sort that out.

Latest