(Edexcel) Maths- A 290UMS 97%
(Edexcel) Geography- A 184UMS 92%
(Edexcel) Japanese- A 96UMS 96%
(OCR) Chemistry -A 295UMS 98%
(WJEC) Biology- A 287UMS 96%
(AQA) EPQ- A*
Average: 96% UMS

GCSE: 9A* 1A 1B

I'm worried about UKCAT, I will probably get around 700 ish (or even lower)... With these results where are the best places to apply? I am an international student!

Thanks in advance.
i got my as results
A in Chemistry
A in Biology
A in Maths
B in History
and 6A*'s at GCSE what uni's can i not apply to for medicine?
Original post by Beska
You need to move up that 4th AS to at least a C or a B. If you're applying to only one medical school (especially one that uses the BMAT) then the odds are very very much stacked in your favour - indeed, only 40% of people are accepted to study medicine applying to 4 medical schools all with good applications.

Do you think it's a good idea to take another as level instead of resitting maths?
Reply 183
Original post by PerfectionSeeker
Ok thank you for your advice! :smile: Am I alright when it comes to my application though? I won't get rejected on account of that one C hopefully though?

It should be OK. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

It is however a more unusual situation than I am used to dealing with so it may be useful to contact med schools directly. :smile:
Reply 184
Hi,
I got BBBD :frown:. Will resit the D in Maths to bring it up to a C hopefully, and also work my socks off to get AAA at A2.
My question is:
If you have a poor 4th AS (D grade), will the unis which do not require a 4th AS in their offers still look at it on the application and take it into account when interviewing/deciding whether to make you an offer?
Realistically, is it worth applying this year - even to unis who do not place a great deal of emphasis on AS results? Thanks for any advice
Reply 185
Original post by Bananaicecream
Hi, i got AABBD and an A in EPQ but the D is in maths... will continuing with bio (A) and chem (B) art (A)and not maths mean i have no chance in medicine? bearing in mind i didnt do brillianty at my Ukcat, 640 AVG and my gcse results are only average for medicine - 4a*1a5Bs. I have no idea which unis to realisticly apply to cause i really want to be a doctor but i dont have brilliant grades or much work experiece, please help! :confused: :'(

As long as you are able to be predicted AAA (and then achieve those grades) I would not worry and medicine is still a possibility. I would suggest resitting some AS modules next year in chemistry to bring up the grade a bit, as well as in maths to help bring it up to around a B/C.

Check A-Level requirements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
I just received my A2 results and i am so disappointed. I did both my AS and my A2 this year. My results are:
MATHS: A*
CHEMISTRY:A
BIOLOGY: B
PSYCHOLOGY: A

I still cannot believe that i got a B in biology. I was so sure that i would get an A. And i lost the A* in chemistry for 2 points. I dont know what to do:frown:
Original post by penandpaper2014
My ums is as follows:
CHEM1 - 64
CHEM2 - 96
CHEM3T (ISA) - 38

I am feeling really devastated by my poor marks. I also want to retake some of my Bio modules because I was fairly confident I would get the A in it but unfortunately I only got a B. It is fairly ironic that the subjects I worked the most for ended up with the poorest grades (Maths and Chemistry) while I only did about a week of revision for Economics and came out with an A. :angry:

CHEM1 - 64/100 Potential 36 UMS
CHEM2 - 96/140 Potential 44 UMS
CHEM3T (ISA) - 38/60 Potential 22 UMS

I would advise resitting either or both CHEM1 and CHEM2, it isn't worth redoing the ISA in my opinion. Thats a good chunk of potential UMS available to up your AS grade. That is very ironic, you must be subconsciously very good at economics! :tongue: A2 chemistry does make AS appear a lot easier so its worth a shot. Definitelty speak to your teachers for some proper advice on what route to take! :smile: I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Reply 188
Original post by alexSH
(Edexcel) Maths- A 290UMS 97%
(Edexcel) Geography- A 184UMS 92%
(Edexcel) Japanese- A 96UMS 96%
(OCR) Chemistry -A 295UMS 98%
(WJEC) Biology- A 287UMS 96%
(AQA) EPQ- A*
Average: 96% UMS

GCSE: 9A* 1A 1B

I'm worried about UKCAT, I will probably get around 700 ish (or even lower)... With these results where are the best places to apply? I am an international student!

Thanks in advance.

You can apply pretty much anywhere with that.

For more general information about medicine (inc requirements, UKCAT, where to apply) check out the FAQ: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Reply 189
Original post by Vashappeninkira
i got my as results
A in Chemistry
A in Biology
A in Maths
B in History
and 6A*'s at GCSE what uni's can i not apply to for medicine?

Congratulations.

You can apply to most medical schools. Check out the A-Level requirements and GCSE requirements via this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Reply 190
Original post by ilikechemistry
Do you think it's a good idea to take another as level instead of resitting maths?

I would resit some maths modules as I'm not sure of the dynamics of taking another AS to 'make up' for the maths grade. Maybe contact medical schools you are interested in and see what their view is?
Reply 191
Original post by joolsm
Hi,
I got BBBD :frown:. Will resit the D in Maths to bring it up to a C hopefully, and also work my socks off to get AAA at A2.
My question is:
If you have a poor 4th AS (D grade), will the unis which do not require a 4th AS in their offers still look at it on the application and take it into account when interviewing/deciding whether to make you an offer?
Realistically, is it worth applying this year - even to unis who do not place a great deal of emphasis on AS results? Thanks for any advice

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your grades.

You have the right attitude and that's exactly what I would suggest - get AAA with the remaining subjects and bring the maths up to C through module retakes.

It is likely that most medical schools will still look at the 4th AS since you are offering it, but it's unlikely to make a big difference because if it did they'd make it a requirement!

Yes it is very much worth applying. Good luck!
Original post by 06shawm
CHEM1 - 64/100 Potential 36 UMS
CHEM2 - 96/140 Potential 44 UMS
CHEM3T (ISA) - 38/60 Potential 22 UMS

I would advise resitting either or both CHEM1 and CHEM2, it isn't worth redoing the ISA in my opinion. Thats a good chunk of potential UMS available to up your AS grade. That is very ironic, you must be subconsciously very good at economics! :tongue: A2 chemistry does make AS appear a lot easier so its worth a shot. Definitelty speak to your teachers for some proper advice on what route to take! :smile: I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for your help.
I also did Salters Biology and my ums is:
biology 1 - 72
biology 2 - 93
my coursework was 57 (biology 3 option A)

I really want to boost this grade from a B to an A but not sure if its manageable given that I am gonna have to retake chem1 and chem2 alongside all my A2 subjects (And I hear that A2 biology is a killer in terms of content length).

Any advice?
Original post by Beska
I'm sorry you are disappointed with your grades.

You need to be able to be predicted AAA and then achieve it. As for physics, it would be a good idea to resit some modules to bring it up to a B or a C, otherwise it will severely limit where you can apply even if you do achieve AAA in your 3 A2 subjects. Check this page here where the lower case letters would be the grade you need in the 'dropped AS'.

Thank you for your advice :smile: What if I apply to a university that does not look at your dropped AS subject's grade? (e.g on that list, Aberdeen's typical offer is AAA; there's no mention of any AS/'lowercase' grade).
Reply 194
Original post by ismailjan3
Thank you for your advice :smile: What if I apply to a university that does not look at your dropped AS subject's grade? (e.g on that list, Aberdeen's typical offer is AAA; there's no mention of any AS/'lowercase' grade).

Then that's fine - but I'd check with them that they definitely don't mind. Try to bring it up though through resits.
Reply 195
Original post by Beska
Congratulations.

You can apply to most medical schools. Check out the A-Level requirements and GCSE requirements via this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs

What about....
English A
History A
Biology A
Chemistry B
GCSE's 10 A*'s 1 A
Ukcat 620 (rubbish)
Hopefully 3 predicted A's at A2
What universities??
Reply 196
Have a look at that page - all the information is there. For the UKCAT, avoid universities that put a particular emphasis on the UKCAT.

Original post by Roorah
What about....
English A
History A
Biology A
Chemistry B
GCSE's 10 A*'s 1 A
Ukcat 620 (rubbish)
Hopefully 3 predicted A's at A2
What universities??
Reply 197
Original post by Beska
Have a look at that page - all the information is there. For the UKCAT, avoid universities that put a particular emphasis on the UKCAT.

Thanks ever so much. Do you think I should retake chemistry to get an A or will it be ok with predicted overall A?
If my dropped AS is a D, do universities still care as long as I get my 3As at A2? I really wish to apply to Kings and Imperial but they have require a 4th AS at grade B alongside the 3As at A2 according to the Studentroom entry requirements page.

I did an AS level early during my GCSE years in which I got an A, can I use this as my 4th AS level instead of my dropped subject in which I got a D so that I satisfy Kings/Imperial's requirements?

thanks
Hi,
I went to a really bad high school and only did 8 gcse which I got 2 A* (biology and chemistry) and then the rest A except for a B in French. But I got into a grammar school for Alevels and have got 3 A's (biology, psychology, chemistry) and a B (maths) which I'm planning to drop anyway

If feel like my gcses will always let me down :frown: but If I do the ukcat and get over 700, what universities do you suggest I do/don't apply to

I was thinking Keele, Sheffield and Exeter maybe
Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending