The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 06shawm
Congrats on those AS results. Your GCSE's are fine. You should be able to apply too pretty much any medical school in that respect.

As long as your predicted AAA at A2 you are eligible for medicine. :smile:

Have you taken your UKCAT yet?

thanks!
Nope I haven't done it yet, I'm thinking of doing the BMAT too, do you recommend UCL and Imperial?
what other Unis are nice in your opinion haha?
(edited 9 years ago)

They'll generally accept it.

I just wanted your opinion
Original post by di1997
hello, so i received my as results today and achieved aabb (biology/maths/physics/chemistry respectively) but i got a b in chemistry and i really want to do medicine. i was told i should take a gap year but i'm unsure on how this works and if this decreases my chances of getting into med school?
i'm planning to retake my chemistry f331/unit 1 exam as i got a c in that which brought me down and i know i can definitely improve on, but will universities dislike this?

Whoever told you to take a gap year is insane.

Those AS results are fine for a majority of medical schools. As long as your predicted AAA at A2 with one of those A's being in chemistry you can apply. From my knowledge there are very few medical schools that would not allow an AS resit. Definitely resit that module though to bump up your overall AS UMS. :smile: Check on the medical schools admissions page to see there policy on AS resits.
Reply 383
Original post by 06shawm
Whoever told you to take a gap year is insane.

Those AS results are fine for a majority of medical schools. As long as your predicted AAA at A2 with one of those A's being in chemistry you can apply. From my knowledge there are very few medical schools that would not allow an AS resit. Definitely resit that module though to bump up your overall AS UMS. :smile: Check on the medical schools admissions page to see there policy on AS resits.

it was my careers advisor and he said there is no point in applying this year as i will get rejected for my b in chemistry and i was 16 ums off an A in chemistry overall so my chances of being predicted an A is slim.
thank you so much though!!
Original post by n3ilsonfire
Thank you so much for your reply!

I am thinking of dropping LangLit, if that helps.

Cheers :smile:

No problem. Therefore you will be completing A2's in Psychology, Biology and Chemistry.

Currently you have A, B, C respectively with a B in the 4th AS.

You may have some difficulty persuading your teacher to predict you an A at A2 in chemistry with a grade C at AS. Just explain it was only one particular module which pulled your overall grade down and that you plan on resitting that module anyway.

Best of luck with your application and feel free to ask anymore questions. :smile:
Reply 385
Original post by zed963
They'll generally accept it.

I just wanted your opinion

I don't really know enough about those specific schools to say in my opinion, sorry!
Reply 386
Hi,

My AS Results are 1 A (Sociology) and 3 Bs (Maths, Biology and Chemistry) and I was hoping to apply for top medical schools so as you can guess, I am quite disappointed with my results.

Does anyone know of any medical schools that may take me in or consider my application?
Original post by di1997
it was my careers advisor and he said there is no point in applying this year as i will get rejected for my b in chemistry and i was 16 ums off an A in chemistry overall so my chances of being predicted an A is slim.
thank you so much though!!

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. :rolleyes:

I have literally never heard so much rubbish in my life. I know loads of people that have got a B at AS then gone onto get an A at A2 and got into medical school. Why on earth would you give up applying for a year because of 16 UMS?!!!

As long as your predicted AAA at A2 you can apply. Explain to your chemistry teacher that it was only one module that affected your grade and you plan to resit it anyway. :smile:

Best of luck with your application/UKCAT(If you haven't taken it yet) and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
OMG! same situation and im an ibrahim aswell
basically for gcse i got 1A* 3A's and 5 B's and today for AS i got A=bio D=chem CC= psychology and RS i really want to do foundation medicine and im going to retake the exams during A2 what are my best options :frown::s-smilie: HELP by the way
Neostigmine
you have been a big help from your previous replies from questions so thank you for that
Original post by frozo123
thanks!
Nope I haven't done it yet, I'm thinking of doing the BMAT too, do you recommend UCL and Imperial?
what other Unis are nice in your opinion haha?

Your grades seem fine for both but obviously it will likely depend on your BMAT results also. You would need to be predicted A*AA at A2 for UCL though.

A*AA and an E in the 4th AS for UCL.

AAA and a B in the 4th AS/AAA and a C in the 4th A2 for Imperial.

Good luck with the your application.
Reply 390
Original post by 06shawm
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. :rolleyes:

I have literally never heard so much rubbish in my life. I know loads of people that have got a B at AS then gone onto get an A at A2 and got into medical school. Why on earth would you give up applying for a year because of 16 UMS?!!!

As long as your predicted AAA at A2 you can apply. Explain to your chemistry teacher that it was only one module that affected your grade and you plan to resit it anyway. :smile:

Best of luck with your application/UKCAT(If you haven't taken it yet) and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

ahh this has given me a lot more motivation, thanks so much you've been such great help!!
Original post by 06shawm
Your grades seem fine for both but obviously it will likely depend on your BMAT results also. You would need to be predicted A*AA at A2 for UCL though.

A*AA and an E in the 4th AS for UCL.

AAA and a B in the 4th AS/AAA and a C in the 4th A2 for Imperial.

Good luck with the your application.

so if I want to appy to UCL or Imperial I have to carry on with Physics which I got a B in?
Do you know which universities would allow 3 year alevels?
Original post by di1997
ahh this has given me a lot more motivation, thanks so much you've been such great help!!

No problem, best of luck with your application!
Can someone please confirm whether Kings, Southampton, Manchester and Barts are ok with more than 1 module resit per subject?
Kings and Barts want AAAa and since my 4th AS is a D, I can't exactly apply for it.

I am already gonna retake chem1 and chem2 to get my chemistry C grade up next year alongside my A2s but my D in maths really is pulling me back with what unis I can apply for. I have done the EPQ and also have an A from a AS I took early during my GCSE years.
Am I crazy to think that it's a good idea to retake chem1, chem2, at least one of my maths modules and also one of my biology modules alongside 3A2s (biology, chemistry and economics) next year?

I think I need to go all out to redeem my poor AS results. Can you also confirm if there are any universities which will offset a poor 4th AS if there is a strong UKCAT score/good personal statement/strong GCSEs (10A*s and 1A)?
Hey..for my AS results I got

A- maths
A - further maths
B- Chem (3 ums off a A)
C - Bio (2 ums off a B)

For GCSE i got 7.5 A*s, 2 As and 1 B
Would i still be able to apply to medicine and be successful?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by frozo123
so if I want to appy to UCL or Imperial I have to carry on with Physics which I got a B in?

No, so I am presuming you are going to drop physics which you have a grade B in.

You have AAA at AS in Maths, Chem, Bio.

For UCL you must be predicted A*AA in your A2 subjects and you must achieve the A* in either Chemistry or Biology.

In my previous post I stated that UCL require an E in the 4th AS(Physics) but I've just double checked on the website and they actually require a 'pass' in the 4th AS. I would imagine a 'pass' means a C grade in the 4th AS. Therefore for UCL you meet the requirements anyway providing your predicted A*AA at A2.

For imperial.

They require your predicted AAA at A2 and have achieved a B in your 4th AS. If you carry on with all 4 subjects up to A2 they require you too achieve AAAC.
Original post by dorii_21
Hey..for my AS results I got

A- maths
A - further maths
B- Chem (3 ums off a A)
C - Bio (2 ums off a B)

For GCSE i got 7.5 A*s, 2 As and 1 B
Would i still be able to apply to medicine and be successful?

Well done on your AS results!

Are you going to drop further maths because I'm pretty sure most medical schools won't count it as an A2?

Whats your module breakdown for Chem and Biol?

Your GCSE's are great and will keep that side of the application strong :smile:
Original post by 06shawm
Well done on your AS results!

Are you going to drop further maths because I'm pretty sure most medical schools won't count it as an A2?

Whats your module breakdown for Chem and Biol?

Your GCSE's are great and will keep that side of the application strong :smile:

I will be dropping further maths
I got a D in unit 1 bio and a C in bio unit 2 and a A in Bio Unit 3X
I got a C in unit 1 Chem and As in Unit 2 and Unit 3 Chem
Original post by 06shawm
Yes of course :smile:

So when you add qualifications to your UCAS.

You will have for example:

AS Biology June 2014 Grade: B

then you add it again

AS Biology June 2015 Grade: Pending

This will notify the medical school that you are resitting this subject.

Oh right thank you that makes sense!!

Latest

Trending

Trending