The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Faithams
Thats actually my grades she quoted XD
Thanks, you give me HOPE!
Also have contextual data (bad school, low income, not many people in my area go to uni) so hopefully medical schools dont compare me directly to 11A* student from a private school lol.
Seriously thanks though!

I'm going to a good school but live in a bad area economically and not many people go to uni either :frown: I don't know how to bring that up in my application ?
I got ABCE ( get E resitted or remarked because I got an U in a module) and I was thinking to apply for a foundation course because my grades are actually bad I mean as far as I know I can get predicted A*A but I don't know if my chem teacher will give me an A from a C ( its 5 ums off a B ) :frown: so yeah ...
My hope is high score in UKCAT (700 and over )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruxy
You might be lucky and get predicted A* in chem as well if you beg a little bit it's only 2%. But maths it's most probably an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

OOO yay hahaha, what do you think the chances of being predicted an A in biology are? Thats what i need most! And i am resitting a module in it?
Reply 782
Original post by sassystudent
OOO yay hahaha, what do you think the chances of being predicted an A in biology are? Thats what i need most! And i am resitting a module in it?

Pretty big ! Like if you tell them that you want to apply for medicine and that biology prediction is what your application depends on and you become cheesy you will get it ! You might get it anyway but get cheesy if necessary haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruxy
I'm going to a good school but live in a bad area economically and not many people go to uni either :frown: I don't know how to bring that up in my application ?
I got ABCE ( get E resitted or remarked because I got an U in a module) and I was thinking to apply for a foundation course because my grades are actually bad I mean as far as I know I can get predicted A*A but I don't know if my chem teacher will give me an A from a C ( its 5 ums off a B ) :frown: so yeah ...
My hope is high score in UKCAT (700 and over )

Well tell your teacher you will resit the chem module you got a C in, that should easily give you ABBE. Make sure you apply to unis that dont look at the 4th AS level either as most want a B, unless you want to resit the bad modules (if you can handle it , I would advise it).
We're in this together lol, its so scary applying when you have no idea if youll get in :frown:
We just have to prove ourselves with the UKCAT now. Practice practice practice!
Original post by Ruxy
Pretty big ! Like if you tell them that you want to apply for medicine and that biology prediction is what your application depends on and you become cheesy you will get it ! You might get it anyway but get cheesy if necessary haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, thanks, I might just get on my knees and beg if not! I get on really well with my Biology teacher so this should hopefully help thanks!:smile:
Original post by Ruxy
I didn't know Brighton and Sussex used bmat ������������������������������ I planned applying there damn it !!!
I haven't done a UKCAT mock from when I first started my UKCAT haha before I started my UKCAT without any preparation I've done a mock to see where I'd start from and how much I should improve and I got 580 (really bad but good in a way because I didn't prepare at all) so now I finish 600q book in situational judgment and AR and I have a little bit left in QR and about a half in VR. I've got my UKCAT on 19th of September so I'll do some mocks on medify starting 1 st of September.
I hope for a good UKCAT 700 and over to apply to Newcastle, Glasgow, Lancaster and Aberdeen ( if I get a really good UKCAT I'll go for kings but I don't want to get too excited about that yet haha ). My gcses are really weak and my As are fine for medicine but definitely not the best as I have a hard work to do in A2 so my hope is in UKCAT :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

BSMS are using BMAT from this year onwards. I think my stats justify me applying to UCL and Imperial but I don't think my stats are good enough for Oxford or Cambridge. Birmingham or Liverpool is an option but I prefer to stay in London. I'd like to go King's so I'll apply to the EMDP (their foundation course), but i'm not sure how Keele or UEA use the UKCAT.
Do you think a low UKCAT score would hinder my application ?
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking ?
You've got some time left before you UKCAT. Mine is on the 29th of August. The 600Q book doesn't have SJT section and the QR and AR section aren't representative so I just use MEDIFY and Kapalan and free online resources. My VR and QR aren't that good so i'll have to work on them.
Why not consider Sheffield or Nottingham if you get a high score ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 786
I came in England 3 years ago and I was just a bit over 16 and they didn't let me go in a proper school to do my gcses so I had to go college to do my gcses and I have done an intensive course of 5 full gcses in 1 year and because I haven't spoken English before coming in the uk I got ABBBC in my gcses and I have to take care what unis I apply for so I won't be disadvantaged on my academic performance and usually the unis I can apply are heavy on UKCAT.

GCSEs: ABBBC
AS: ABCE (remarking the E)
Possible predictions if I can persuade my chem teacher to give me an A from a C: A*AA
Work experience: 1 weak in a nursery for children with disabilities 1week hospital following a general surgeon ( hoping for a gp placement as well)
Voluntary work: on going voluntary work at hospital on a ward helping patients with their meal, 3 months at a community centre for children, 6 months teacher assistant, 6 months basic English teacher at a library and something else less relevant I can't remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 787
Original post by Graviton-Pulse
BSMS are using BMAT from this year onwards. I think my stats justify me applying to UCL and Imperial but I don't think my stats are good enough for Oxford or Cambridge. Birmingham or Liverpool is an option but I prefer to stay in London. I'd like to go King's so I'll apply to the EMDP (their foundation course), but i'm not sure how Keele or UEA use the UKCAT.
Do you think a low UKCAT score would hinder my application ?
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking ?
You've got some time left before you UKCAT. Mine is on the 29th of August. The 600Q book doesn't have SJT section and the QR and AR section aren't representative so I just use MEDIFY and Kapalan and free online resources. My VR and QR aren't that good so i'll have to work on them.
Why not consider Sheffield or Nottingham if you get a high score ?

I came in England 3 years ago and I was just a bit over 16 and they didn't let me go in a proper school to do my gcses so I had to go college to do my gcses and I have done an intensive course of 5 full gcses in 1 year and because I haven't spoken English before coming in the uk I got ABBBC in my gcses and I have to take care what unis I apply for so I won't be disadvantaged on my academic performance and usually the unis I can apply are heavy on UKCAT.

GCSEs: ABBBC

AS: ABCE (remarking the E)

Possible predictions if I can persuade my chem teacher to give me an A from a C: A*AA

Work experience: 1 weak in a nursery for children with disabilities 1week hospital following a general surgeon ( hoping for a gp placement as well)

Voluntary work: on going voluntary work at hospital on a ward helping patients with their meal, 3 months at a community centre for children, 6 months teacher assistant, 6 months basic English teacher at a library and something else less relevant I can't remember

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jatyization
I know. I think with chemistry, it was just the pressure of the unit 1 exam. I just made silly mistakes i never made all year so it was a disaster and psychology, i have no idea what happened. I will be retaking these modules along with the physics ISA. Why do you recommend Liverpool over Lancaster btw? Thanks for your help again as well. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you've got to walk into every exam thinking I'm the biggest, bad ass motherf****** chemist there is! It just seems like they take in a range of students compared to lancaster that's all. Although I have to say - I think students enjoy lancaster more than Liverpool :P
Wow, those are great stats!
I'm going to do the BMAT since I think it's my last hope (and i quite like UCL).
Apparently Keele only use UKCAT for borderline cases but UEA is still out there as an option (says on the website that you need above 600). Do you know anything about Keele admissions process ?
I'm part of King's widening participation program and I quite like King's so I thought if i'm going to apply to a UKCAT uni, why not there? The EMDP is King's foundation medicine course and it says the entry requirements are BBB-AAA, but they use the UKCAT contextually.
I did a MEDIFY MEDIUM mock and got 630 avg. (based on %) since my QR brought it down (I didn't finish and left 10 questions unanswered). But I got 770 on DA on the mock. My UKCAT is in 10 days, but I can't seem to improve.
How did you tackle the new style of questions for VR ?
Also, how would you recommend improving my timing?

By the way, what is Manchester medical school like in terms of course structure ?

No idea about Keele sorry :/ My friend applied there last year and got an offer with 670 UKCAT but he did IB so I don't know how much you can relate. Oh that 630 for maths is fine! I promise you the maths in the actual one is easier. 770 on DA is fantastic! What is the new style? is it different to last year? I basically didn't read the whole passage - I picked out key words and looked for them in the text. Practice is the only advice I can give with timing :/ With Abstract - try to look out for certain characteristics mentioned in the previous post. If it helps, I can tell you I ran out of time for VR and QR and panicked! so don't worry if you do, just make sure you answer everything - if you run out of time, guess! give it your best shot. All the very best :smile:
Original post by nindeappan
No idea about Keele sorry :/ My friend applied there last year and got an offer with 670 UKCAT but he did IB so I don't know how much you can relate. Oh that 630 for maths is fine! I promise you the maths in the actual one is easier. 770 on DA is fantastic! What is the new style? is it different to last year? I basically didn't read the whole passage - I picked out key words and looked for them in the text. Practice is the only advice I can give with timing :/ With Abstract - try to look out for certain characteristics mentioned in the previous post. If it helps, I can tell you I ran out of time for VR and QR and panicked! so don't worry if you do, just make sure you answer everything - if you run out of time, guess! give it your best shot. All the very best :smile:

I finished the MEDIFY HARD mock today and got an average of 668 (based on %), but my VR and QR were quite low (600 on VR and QR) so my AR (720) and DA(750) brought it up.
Would you say the maths is similar to MEDIFY in the real thing ?
The new VR style is where you have to make conclusions based on passages from the text so you get statements (rather than just T/F/CT).
Do you know anything about Liverpool's admission system?
I'm considering applying to either Liverpool or Birmingham but i'm not sure which one plays to my strengths the best.
I'm going to do the BMAT as well so i'll apply to UCL and/or Imperial.
Also, do you have any tips for PS and interview ?
Sorry for asking so many questions :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 791
I finished the MEDIFY HARD mock today and got an average of 668 (based on %), but my VR and QR were quite low (600 on VR and AR) so my AR (720) and DA(750) brought it up.
The new VR style is where you have to make conclusions based on passages from the text so you get statements (rather than just T/F/CT).
I'm considering applying to either Liverpool or Birmingham but i'm not sure which one plays to my strengths the best.

Don't just write your work experience in ps explain what you learned from it in detail be passionate. Explain the skills you built up and how it relates to medicine and your future. Don't put too many words in the academic paragraph as they can mostly see that in your grades and a level choices.
Be yourself and don't use words you cannot use in the interview or very high standard worded ps as they will catch you at the interview and that's not good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I finished the MEDIFY HARD mock today and got an average of 668 (based on %), but my VR and QR were quite low (600 on VR and AR) so my AR (720) and DA(750) brought it up.

Those stats sound reassuring :smile: the maths in the real one is actually similar to the easy questions on medify :smile: and if you got that on hard then I think you're going to be fine haha! I did so crap on the hard mock - I can't remeber what I got but I did bad! oh I know the new VR style :smile: I had it last year - it was a painful surprise :/

Birmingham is no doubt the better uni compared to liverpool and you do have very good stats so you could apply either to be honest :smile: and I think Liverpool basically give interviews to best candidates first - I.e highest gcse's etc and then do it in order :smile: I'm not too sure about anything else :/

With reference to PS - get a million people to read through it! honestly make sure you get as many people as possible to read through it! You need to make sure you get down all key points about your work experiences and I suggest having a brief paragraph on why you're doing the subjects you are! and interviews - it really depends on which uni! my Manchester one - I basically had to keep a cool head and relax! However Leicester - I needed to think fast and it felt like I was in an exam so you really need to work well under pressure!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 793
Can anyone describe to me the selection process for medicine at Birmingham uni in detail, like if you've been to their open days you might know? for example, whats the first thing they look at- grades, ps, references?
HI- My AS results are:

History(A), Chem(B-86a,114a,038c), Maths (B-98a, 80a,54d) & Bio(D-12u, 58d, 89c). I want to drop A2 Bio and resit AS-Bio and try & make it a B or C minimum (my school say they will not expose the AS result/resit on UCAS form). I also want to re-sit my Mech in AS-Maths to get A-grade and re-sit AS-Chem to get A-grade

They are saying they may not be able to give A2 predictions of AAA - but i had spoken to my Chem teacher on result day & she said she will and Maths is checking with seniors staff.

If i am able to get A2 predictions of AAA for History, Chem & Maths from school. Plus AS-Bio at B or C.

What Med Unis should i REALISTICALLY LOOK AT ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Original post by ANCH-MED
HI- My AS results are:

History(A), Chem(B-86a,114a,038c), Maths (B-98a, 80a,54d) & Bio(D-12u, 58d, 89c). I want to drop A2 Bio and resit AS-Bio and try & make it a B or C minimum (my school say they will not expose the AS result/resit on UCAS form). I also want to re-sit my Mech in AS-Maths to get A-grade and re-sit AS-Chem to get A-grade

They are saying they may not be able to give A2 predictions of AAA - but i had spoken to my Chem teacher on result day & she said she will and Maths is checking with seniors staff.

If i am able to get A2 predictions of AAA for History, Chem & Maths from school. Plus AS-Bio at B or C.

What Med Unis should i REALISTICALLY LOOK AT ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you're not doing A2 Biology this limits the med schools you can apply to as a lot of them ask for A2 Chem and bio. So from the ones I've researched you can look at: Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Aberdeen and Cardiff:smile: Those predictions are great, good luck!
Original post by 2en1
Since you're not doing A2 Biology this limits the med schools you can apply to as a lot of them ask for A2 Chem and bio. So from the ones I've researched you can look at: Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Aberdeen and Cardiff:smile: Those predictions are great, good luck!

Thanks. So I still have options to med schools if I have not taken a2 bio. I have to do 14 exams(including As resits) next year. So I can get As in my subjects !! Is this a difficult task ? Then I have to do UKCAT &BMAT (for Leeds). I am nervous reg interviews. As I feel will not be able to manipulate answers at interviews. How mech weight do the Med schools you mentioned place on interviews ? How do we get idea of type of interview questions for these schools ? How do I practice and improve ? I have done volunteering, DOFE, 1 week GP and 1 week Hospital work exp. I do work hard and will work harder this year to try and achieve the results bit 14 papers ?? What do you think ???
Original post by ANCH-MED
Thanks. So I still have options to med schools if I have not taken a2 bio. I have to do 14 exams(including As resits) next year. So I can get As in my subjects !! Is this a difficult task ? Then I have to do UKCAT &BMAT (for Leeds). I am nervous reg interviews. As I feel will not be able to manipulate answers at interviews. How mech weight do the Med schools you mentioned place on interviews ? How do we get idea of type of interview questions for these schools ? How do I practice and improve ? I have done volunteering, DOFE, 1 week GP and 1 week Hospital work exp. I do work hard and will work harder this year to try and achieve the results bit 14 papers ?? What do you think ???

Good luck when you couldn't even handle AS individually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 798
Original post by Jaska
Good luck when you couldn't even handle AS individually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's such a peak thing to say:frown:

Don't worry about doing the resits for chem because my sister (who got an A* in chem A-level btw) says that A2 chem is just building up on the AS work, so when you actually get to doing the resits, they'll be dead easy. Except for biology, because you won't have studied that for a whole year:s-smilie:
Original post by 2en1
That's such a peak thing to say:frown:

Don't worry about doing the resits for chem because my sister (who got an A* in chem A-level btw) says that A2 chem is just building up on the AS work, so when you actually get to doing the resits, they'll be dead easy. Except for biology, because you won't have studied that for a whole year:s-smilie:

Oh great ! The teachers said I can attend the AS classes again maybe ! But that is quite reliving to hear from you sis.

Do you think St. George London would be possible to try for ?

Latest

Trending

Trending