The Student Room Group

Oxford 2014 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AKell17
I just know ill remember something halfway to Oxford...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what shops are for I guess!
Just got sent an email with loads of work to be completed by Friday, looks like I'm going to have a fun freshers week :rolleyes: is it bad that I'm already questioning why I'm going to Oxford?
Original post by iheartdjokovic
Just got sent an email with loads of work to be completed by Friday, looks like I'm going to have a fun freshers week :rolleyes: is it bad that I'm already questioning why I'm going to Oxford?

Wait until second week, you'll question why you started moaning before term had even begun :lol:
Original post by Noble.
Wait until second week, you'll question why you started moaning before term had even begun :lol:

q1) how am I expected to eat during freshers week since no loan will arrive? Do the college provide breakfast lunch and dinner for that one week until lectures start? Or must I bring my own money for that week?

q2) Can you give an overview of what a Maths student's day is like? giving time specifics. e.g at 10am etc. If it's variable for different students-what's yours?

q3) I am told by many that maths at uni is very tough and is nothing like school. I also hear that any maths student can get a first as long as they WORK HARD. I do remember you saying both in fact. Could you please explain how both can be true- I am a little confused.

q4) Say I am lazy and cannot be bothered to go lectures- I am a very lazy young lad in fact. Can I put video recorders in the theatres and stream them to my laptop? Is this legal or will I be kicked out of Oxford for doing this? :tongue:
Original post by Arcane1729
q1) how am I expected to eat during freshers week since no loan will arrive? Do the college provide breakfast lunch and dinner for that one week until lectures start? Or must I bring my own money for that week?

q2) Can you give an overview of what a Maths student's day is like? giving time specifics. e.g at 10am etc. If it's variable for different students-what's yours?

q3) I am told by many that maths at uni is very tough and is nothing like school. I also hear that any maths student can get a first as long as they WORK HARD. I do remember you saying both in fact. Could you please explain how both can be true- I am a little confused.

q4) Say I am lazy and cannot be bothered to go lectures- I am a very lazy young lad in fact. Can I put video recorders in the theatres and stream them to my laptop? Is this legal or will I be kicked out of Oxford for doing this? :tongue:

1) Contact university finance and ask the same thing, they may advance you some money until your student finance arrives.

2) It becomes more and more variable as the years go on, in first year you all do the same courses/lectures, but different tutors and tutorial times obviously. Here is the MT lecture timetable for Prelims:

https://www1.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Prelims%20MT%2014.pdf

You will then have 2-3 tutorials a week (length is tutor dependent) most of which will fall in the 1100-1600 time period (although some may be after 5pm - again, this is tutor dependent).

For most maths students I know, lectures and tutorials/classes form about half of the working day, the rest of the time you'd be independently studying.

3) While there may be an exception for the bottom 10-20% of students, pretty much anyone at Oxford has the ability to get a first if they put in the hours. For some people this may mean working an average of 40 hours a week, for others it may require closer to 80 hours - but still, it's possible for the majority of people.

4) No, most of the lecture rooms in the new institute already have cameras set up and professional recording 'suites' at the back - they just don't record the standard lectures and from what I understand have no intention of starting to record them (so no, you wouldn't be allowed to do it). If you're lazy, you're going to want to start trying to change that because a lazy student studying a science subject at Oxford is a very good recipe for ending up with a 2:2 or below.
Original post by Noble.
4) No, most of the lecture rooms in the new institute already have cameras set up and professional recording 'suites' at the back - they just don't record the standard lectures and from what I understand have no intention of starting to record them (so no, you wouldn't be allowed to do it.

Surprisingly (to my mind) the university seems reasonably willing to start recording lectures. It is being trialled in a couple of courses apparently. Apparently there are other UK universities where they started filming everything and lecture attendance rates did but significantly drop. (Whether Oxford is the same, I don't know!)

Also not sure what facilities the Maths Institute does have. I went to an event where they (slightly awkwardly) had a couple of cameras setup in one of the rows.
Original post by fluteflute
Surprisingly (to my mind) the university seems reasonably willing to start recording lectures. It is being trialled in a couple of courses apparently. Apparently there are other UK universities where they started filming everything and lecture attendance rates did but significantly drop. (Whether Oxford is the same, I don't know!)

Also not sure what facilities the Maths Institute does have. I went to an event where they (slightly awkwardly) had a couple of cameras setup in one of the rows.

Well I don't think it's really surprising that lecture attendance significantly dropped, when you can just watch the lecture from your room half naked with a bowl of cheerios, pausing and rewinding as necessary, I'd question why people are physically going to lectures :lol: It has to be at least a minor reason as to why they haven't done universally. Also, the departments are pretty independent (if you ask me, too independent) so I wouldn't be surprised if one department is all for it, while another absolutely refuses to let it happen.

If you look at this floor plan the cameras are in L1, L2 and L3 (the three main lecture rooms) at the back (on the plan, they're called "control rooms").

Also, I don't know if you've noticed but we both joined in the same month over 6 years ago and we also both have a practically identical post count :lol:
Original post by Noble.

I was kind of just hoping to have freshers week without any work, I can deal with the prospect of having to actually study after that!!
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I was kind of just hoping to have freshers week without any work, I can deal with the prospect of having to actually study after that!!

I got sent a link to some fun reading which we're going to be tested on. Turned out to be the 65 page course handbook with the 3 pages on plagiarism highlighted..

I'm hoping my tutor just has an odd sense of humour!
Original post by Noble.
Also, I don't know if you've noticed but we both joined in the same month over 6 years ago and we also both have a practically identical post count :lol:

Are you and fluteflute ever seen in the same place at the same time?

Original post by Arcane1729
q1)

My son is going to do Maths - his college parent told him that this term he should expect lectures 9 - 11 every day, 5 problem sheets a week and then 2 - 3 tutorials, and should plan to work for 40 hours a week...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 791
Original post by Noble.
Also, the departments are pretty independent (if you ask me, too independent) so I wouldn't be surprised if one department is all for it, while another absolutely refuses to let it happen.

Yes, I can't see it happening in chemistry any time soon a number of lecturers won't let their handouts/slides be put on the department website for students that have missed their lectures. The suggestion of having their lectures recorded so that people don't even need to turn up in the morning would not be received particularly enthusiastically!

Original post by cheshiremum
My son is going to do Maths - his college parent told him that this term he should expect lectures 9 - 11 every day, 5 problem sheets a week and then 2 - 3 tutorials, and should plan to work for 40 hours a week...

Ah, the downside of investment in the university. In my first year, the mathmos would come in to the University Museum fresh-faced and full of life at 11am, after us poor chemists were finished. Now it seems they have to suffer "early" mornings with the rest of us.
Reply 792
Any idea how formal a freshers dinner is likely to be? I'm thinking more likely smart than smart casual but all I know is that we have to wear our gowns (needed for Formal Hall every night at Keble).
Original post by ps321
Any idea how formal a freshers dinner is likely to be? I'm thinking more likely smart than smart casual but all I know is that we have to wear our gowns (needed for Formal Hall every night at Keble).

We've been told for our freshers' dinner at Hertford we just need a shirt and trousers :smile:
Original post by ps321

Described as 'suits or equivalent' at Jesus
Reply 795
Original post by AKell17
We've been told for our freshers' dinner at Hertford we just need a shirt and trousers :smile:

Original post by JLKeating
Described as 'suits or equivalent' at Jesus

Well I've got both those possibilities covered so hopefully I'll be alright - it can't really be anything else apart from those two can it. I spent 4 hours trying to tie a bow tie last night - I can just about do it now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ps321
Well I've got both those possibilities covered so hopefully I'll be alright - it can't really be anything else apart from those two can it. I spent 4 hours trying to tie a bow tie last night - I can just about do it now.

I've got some dresses, though I don't really do smart too well!
Original post by JLKeating
I've got some dresses, though I don't really do smart too well!

Yeah I got a couple of new dresses too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AKell17
Yeah I got a couple of new dresses too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think you'd look rather fetching! Got your colouring pencils packed? :biggrin:
Original post by Noble.
1) Contact university finance and ask the same thing, they may advance you some money until your student finance arrives.

2) It becomes more and more variable as the years go on, in first year you all do the same courses/lectures, but different tutors and tutorial times obviously. Here is the MT lecture timetable for Prelims:

https://www1.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Prelims%20MT%2014.pdf

You will then have 2-3 tutorials a week (length is tutor dependent) most of which will fall in the 1100-1600 time period (although some may be after 5pm - again, this is tutor dependent).

For most maths students I know, lectures and tutorials/classes form about half of the working day, the rest of the time you'd be independently studying.

3) While there may be an exception for the bottom 10-20% of students, pretty much anyone at Oxford has the ability to get a first if they put in the hours. For some people this may mean working an average of 40 hours a week, for others it may require closer to 80 hours - but still, it's possible for the majority of people.

4) No, most of the lecture rooms in the new institute already have cameras set up and professional recording 'suites' at the back - they just don't record the standard lectures and from what I understand have no intention of starting to record them (so no, you wouldn't be allowed to do it). If you're lazy, you're going to want to start trying to change that because a lazy student studying a science subject at Oxford is a very good recipe for ending up with a 2:2 or below.

Original post by cheshiremum
Are you and fluteflute ever seen in the same place at the same time?

Fluteflute, I do hope the maths department is one of those departments! I don't see what the reason to not record is even if less people come.

Noble and cheshiremum please tell me those 40 hours include lecture time and tutorial time. :please:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending