The Student Room Group

A levels dilema...

Results day was yesterday and these are my results:

Psychology - B
English lit- D
Business- C

English grades in my school were generally low so they are sending them off for a remark. I would like to do a nursing degree but im not sure whether these grades are too low ?

Also, all this time I have wanted to do psychology but have just recently changed. So i have no work experience with children (as i want to become a child nurse) or at a hospital.

Can anyone help me with what i need to do as my personal statement is currently blank?

Would i have a chance of being accepted with those grades?

should i take a gap year to do extra experience?

thank you
Reply 1
Original post by tweety97
Results day was yesterday and these are my results:

Psychology - B
English lit- D
Business- C

English grades in my school were generally low so they are sending them off for a remark. I would like to do a nursing degree but im not sure whether these grades are too low ?

Also, all this time I have wanted to do psychology but have just recently changed. So i have no work experience with children (as i want to become a child nurse) or at a hospital.

Can anyone help me with what i need to do as my personal statement is currently blank?

Would i have a chance of being accepted with those grades?

should i take a gap year to do extra experience?

thank you

hy! i didn't apply for nursing but i will reply with what i know?
its better to ask for work experience at hospital or even voluntary work is great! try getting primary school work experience with children? that might be good? also about the grades, its better to call the universities and ask them directly (this is the As grades I got and I am predicted ___ will you still consider me? i did that because I had BDDE in my first year and i I wanted to apply for pharmacy)
try looking at examples of nursing personal statement? that might give you an idea to write your own, but look at a lot of different ones?
take a gap year if you have to, but i would say dont waste your year just for extra experience..
hope that helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by achu123
its better to ask for work experience at hospital or even voluntary work is great! try getting primary school work experience with children? that might be good? also about the grades, its better to call the universities and ask them directly (this is the As grades I got and I am predicted ___ will you still consider me? i did that because I had BDDE in my first year and i I wanted to apply for pharmacy)
try looking at examples of nursing personal statement? that might give you an idea to write your own, but look at a lot of different ones?
take a gap year if you have to, but i would say dont waste your year just for extra experience..

Hiya, thank you for your advice. I am going to call several hospitals tomorrow. But i have to wait until september to find out my predicted grades as my teachers were not in on results day.

I have looked at a few personal statements and hopefully I can do similar things to them within the next month so I dont have to take a gap year. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by achu123

Hi!! I got BDDE and want to apply to pharmacy. Did you get all your offers? What unis will be more likely to give me an offer? I'm really scared I'll get no offer D:
Reply 4
Original post by iarlia
Hi!! I got BDDE and want to apply to pharmacy. Did you get all your offers? What unis will be more likely to give me an offer? I'm really scared I'll get no offer D:

i gt all offers bt i dinnt gt the grade abb which the units asked so i had to retake a year anyway! so i would suggest u retake ur 1st year and get good grades or else doing both as and a2 will be too much pressure nd u mite end up taking extra year anyway

i had bcc in a2 so i had to rest again trying to improve as and a2 last yr..bt in the 1st yr i applied to ljmu, portsmouth, cardiff, reading and bath
A nursing degree would require - (Human) Biology, Physical Education, Psychology at minimum.

I know that Access to HE courses at College usually has modules on Physiology and Psychology

Studying physiology would be ideal.

The two local access courses to me in Wiltshire and Bath are these:

http://www.wiltshire.ac.uk/courses/ftcourses14/detail.aspx?ref=HACCESSHE

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Sociology would all be applicable to Nursing.

http://www.citybathcoll.ac.uk/full-time-courses/access-to-he1/access-to-higher-education.html

The 'Health and Social Care' option.

If you know that want to do nursing and are committed to it then an access course is ideal.

I know that good nursing courses are UWE (Bristol), Oxford Brookes and King's College London (which is the best and what I would aim for getting into). KCL would be good as it is in the heart of London and if you don't know London then you should as it's an amazing place to live and to learn.
Reply 6
Hi I got BBBB for maths, chemistry, biology and economics. I wanted to apply to Imperial for chemical engineering, but I am worried that my AS grades are too low.

Also would a few resits in some modules put me at a disadvantage?

Quick Reply

Latest