The Student Room Group

woodhouse college vs henrietta barnett school??

I got conditional offers to both hbs and woodhouse, but I'm not sure which one I'd pick. I'm most likely taking bio, chem, English Lit and art. I currently go to a private college with small classes and I'm moving for sixth form as it's expensive and I want to go somewhere with more clubs and societies. A great art department is also very important to me. I'm looking to study either an art course or medicine at uni. Is henrietta as difficult and pressurizing as people say?. I'm not sure I would like that kind of environment much which is why I'm leaning more towards woodhouse. I've been to the woodhouse open day but im going to the hbs one soon. Could anyone who has been give me some kind of gist of the schools?.
I'm in my last year of Woodhouse and I'd say it's really based on preference. For those subjects Woodhouse has very good departments and they are very academic and will make sure you get the grades but at the same time it's very chill here cuz non-school uniform (some people even come in their pyjamas for a laugh), allowed to use phones in college, laptops or ipads in class... doesn't matter what you do as long as you're ready to learn and they will make sure you get your work done but in a more relaxed and social environment. North Finchley is very nice area to hang out as well.

Henrietta Barnet from what I've heard is much more uptight. But you would be surrounded by staff who will push you purely for high performance and that may make it easier to get better grades. It's really upto you, Woodhouse pushes you to get grades a lot as well but it's the grammar school competition that makes Henrietta Barnet push students even more to their limits to do better and that's obviously why they're ranked so high.

About the art department, My God Woodhouse has so many facilities for Art students I'm acc jealous cuz they get their private library with Macs (only for Art students) which would be great for you. Medicine as well, the science departments is big and has it's own science study area. One more thing is that the whole school is just Year12 and 13s, so you literally get the maximum amount of help you need. There's an abundance of help with Unis and careers because of this, and the teaching is very good since the teachers only have to focus on teaching one course for 2 years.

It's really upto you what you decide but from experience, I'm waaayy happier at Woodhouse because of the mix of freedom but it still being the best in London on the academic side as well (Highest achieving non-grammar school 6th form I think).
If you have any questions about Woodhouse please feel free to just reply to this message, and good luck with your choice!
Bump
Original post by Bazookatron21
I'm in my last year of Woodhouse and I'd say it's really based on preference. For those subjects Woodhouse has very good departments and they are very academic and will make sure you get the grades but at the same time it's very chill here cuz non-school uniform (some people even come in their pyjamas for a laugh), allowed to use phones in college, laptops or ipads in class... doesn't matter what you do as long as you're ready to learn and they will make sure you get your work done but in a more relaxed and social environment. North Finchley is very nice area to hang out as well.

Henrietta Barnet from what I've heard is much more uptight. But you would be surrounded by staff who will push you purely for high performance and that may make it easier to get better grades. It's really upto you, Woodhouse pushes you to get grades a lot as well but it's the grammar school competition that makes Henrietta Barnet push students even more to their limits to do better and that's obviously why they're ranked so high.

About the art department, My God Woodhouse has so many facilities for Art students I'm acc jealous cuz they get their private library with Macs (only for Art students) which would be great for you. Medicine as well, the science departments is big and has it's own science study area. One more thing is that the whole school is just Year12 and 13s, so you literally get the maximum amount of help you need. There's an abundance of help with Unis and careers because of this, and the teaching is very good since the teachers only have to focus on teaching one course for 2 years.

It's really upto you what you decide but from experience, I'm waaayy happier at Woodhouse because of the mix of freedom but it still being the best in London on the academic side as well (Highest achieving non-grammar school 6th form I think).
If you have any questions about Woodhouse please feel free to just reply to this message, and good luck with your choice!

Thank you so much for the advice ! It has helped a lot. I will let you know if I have any questions, hopefully I make the right choice :smile: thank you
Reply 4

what's the timetable like? when do lessons usually start?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mythsical
Thank you so much for the advice ! It has helped a lot. I will let you know if I have any questions, hopefully I make the right choice :smile: thank you

Great to hear, glad I could help
Original post by lllii77
what's the timetable like? when do lessons usually start?

For me I only start at 9am once a week, the other days it's at either 10, 10:30, 12:15 or 1:15. When I start early I also finish early at 1:15, but this is only because I got lucky. Some unlucky people start at 9 and finish at 4:15 lol, but that's mostly like 1 day a week. Inbetween you just have ur lessons which are either an hour or 1.5 hours each. Most days I have 2 lessons a day (so only 2.5 hours of lessons) and sometimes have all 3 (but that's still only 3.5 hours 😁). When u first start it's gonna be really chill cuz you can do whatever u want in ur free periods like going out with ur friends or going to the sports hall which always has different sports going on. Lunch is an hour (1:15 for year 12s and 12:15 for yr 13s) and u get break-time at 10:15 for 15mins. If you're doing 4 subjects ofc u gotta fit in an extra 4 slots in a week, but don't drop ur 4th subject (if ur doing one) straight away like I did the moment I looked at my timetable, cuz after a few weeks ur gonna be revising in pretty much most ur frees and by the end of the year u'll be encouraged to revise during all ur free peiods since A-levels is obvs harder than GCSEs. Don't sweat it tho, you'll be studying the subjects u most enjoy (hopefully) most of the day so I don't think it'll be too difficult to revise those out of lesson time. Oh almost forgot, there's also these things calls private study periods that you have to go to for like the first 2 terms where u sit and revise in silence for an hour once a week. And there's subject tutorial for each lesson where u can go and asks for help with anything from any of ur teachers and get 1 to 1 help. Hope this helped 😀
For me I only start at 9am once a week, the other days it's at either 10, 10:30, 12:15 or 1:15. When I start early I also finish early at 1:15, but this is only because I got lucky. Some unlucky people start at 9 and finish at 4:15 lol, but that's mostly like 1 day a week. Inbetween you just have ur lessons which are either an hour or 1.5 hours each. Most days I have 2 lessons a day (so only 2.5 hours of lessons) and sometimes have all 3 (but that's still only 3.5 hours 😁). When u first start it's gonna be really chill cuz you can do whatever u want in ur free periods like going out with ur friends or going to the sports hall which always has different sports going on. Lunch is an hour (1:15 for year 12s and 12:15 for yr 13s) and u get break-time at 10:15 for 15mins. If you're doing 4 subjects ofc u gotta fit in an extra 4 slots in a week, but don't drop ur 4th subject (if ur doing one) straight away like I did the moment I looked at my timetable, cuz after a few weeks ur gonna be revising in pretty much most ur frees and by the end of the year u'll be encouraged to revise during all ur free peiods since A-levels is obvs harder than GCSEs. Don't sweat it tho, you'll be studying the subjects u most enjoy (hopefully) most of the day so I don't think it'll be too difficult to revise those out of lesson time. Oh almost forgot, there's also these things calls private study periods that you have to go to for like the first 2 terms where u sit and revise in silence for an hour once a week. And there's subject tutorial for each lesson where u can go and asks for help with anything from any of ur teachers and get 1 to 1 help. Hope this helped 😀

Wow, the schedule sounds pretty great and it's cool how there are subject tutorials. How's the social life? And is there any kind of club for people interested in medicine?

How are the geography and physics departments at Woodhouse?The year group is quite big (700 people in one year, whilst my whole school is 700 people) so how easy is it to get to know people and how many people are in classes on average?
Other than a friend of my mum having gone to Henrietta Barnett and has had a good career, I cannot offer you anything specific. All I would suggest is to consider how self-motivated you are and which environment would suit you more. Some people need more structure and stricter rules to help them, others will push themselves hard regardless of the environment.
Original post by Mythsical
Wow, the schedule sounds pretty great and it's cool how there are subject tutorials. How's the social life? And is there any kind of club for people interested in medicine?

There's so many different people here and one thing that's different compared to my secondary scool, at least in the current year groups is that everyone respects each other regardless of how different everyone is. And there are loads of different people so anyone would fit in after the first few weeks I'd hope. In terms of academic clubs, we do this thing called Woodhouse Plus which is basically enrichment (if you've done that in secondary). You're given a choice from different enrichment courses that you get to pick from and you do it till around March. They can differ depending on the year, but there were quite a few ones to do with medicine. For example, I was in the Electronics club where we made sound level detectors and purposefully blew up circuits, but my friend was doing 'Planet Hunting with Python' where you're give data and you learn to find new exoplanets using Python programming. There's loooads of these kind of things, escpecially cuz the school is basically just made for A-level students. Plus for medicine there are lots of separate courses as well, my friend did this one where they trained you to be a doctor and you had to go in and perform 'mock surgeries' and disections every week on animals. The medicine students love that kinda stuff😅 I get a lot of mail about medicine offers, activities and clubs except that's not what I wanna do so I kinda just ignore them but there's lots of people I know doing them so ur not alone.
Original post by kissa_kig
How are the geography and physics departments at Woodhouse?The year group is quite big (700 people in one year, whilst my whole school is 700 people) so how easy is it to get to know people and how many people are in classes on average?

I have a friend who does Geography and he says it's pretty good, he's got no complaints with the teachers it's just the subject is a bit long since you got coursework and a lot of writing😂 (you'd know from GCSEs). I do Physics so I can confidently say the Physics department is actually the most organised in the whole school. Physics is a hard subject, you'll find that out for urself but there are lots of experienced teachers that actually did a good job with our years. One thing you'll get that you won't get in many other schools is the option to choose ur own module in Physics near the end of the second year. There are modules like Astrophysics, Turning Points, Engineering, Electronics... Most schools only teach one so everyone's forced to do that specific module. But there are a lot of Physics teachers so you actually get to choose which one u want to learn. The most unpopular module (electronics this year had 0 people lol) doesn't get taught but the rest do.

In ur classes it really depends on what subjects u chose, but for a popular course like Maths and Physics u get around 20- 25 ppl and for less popular ones you can get from 8 - 15 in a class (e.g Music tech, Computer Science...). I still haven't talked to everyone in my year, I'd say I know about half of them at least but the great thing about having so many people is that there's a higher chance of finding people that you get along with. Really don't worry about this even if you're coming into the school not knowing anyone. The first few days everyone's a bit nervous, then people gradually start to hang out and in a few weeks there's parties going on and everything😂 Also, half the people won't be around all the time because of free periods, late starts and some people or most at the end of the year studying in the library. Lunch time is different for the upper and lower years as well
Hii im in a similar situation cant decide between woodhouse and HB and i saw this thread (and its a year old) so i wanna ask which did you end up choosing and are you happy with your choice?
I am also interested to know, same situation here and need to make a decision by the 25th August. If you went to HB , are you happy there ? That’s my dilema I fear of going there and regret than lose my place at Woodhouse.
Hi , what did you go for ? Are you happy with your decision ? I’m in the same dilema as you 2 years ago.

Original post by username4029770
I got conditional offers to both hbs and woodhouse, but I'm not sure which one I'd pick. I'm most likely taking bio, chem, English Lit and art. I currently go to a private college with small classes and I'm moving for sixth form as it's expensive and I want to go somewhere with more clubs and societies. A great art department is also very important to me. I'm looking to study either an art course or medicine at uni. Is henrietta as difficult and pressurizing as people say?. I'm not sure I would like that kind of environment much which is why I'm leaning more towards woodhouse. I've been to the woodhouse open day but im going to the hbs one soon. Could anyone who has been give me some kind of gist of the schools?.
Reply 15
Original post by username4029770

i have a family friend who moved from hbs to woodhouse and is much much happier there
(I go to hbs)
personally I don't find it that pressurising. it's much more of a self inflicted thing than one that people impose on each other. that being said, ppl talk about school, classes, upcoming tests and what they want to do later a Lot and it is a major focus, so u many find urself feeling bad about your grades. I can say that for the subjects you take, the departments are really good, especially English. I don't know about art but it would be most likely fine. The school has a lot of medics, so if you want to go down that route they know all about it. personally I find the environment really nice and friendly - so I think some of it is down to who you surround yourself with
Original post by TallDuck32
(I go to hbs)
personally I don't find it that pressurising. it's much more of a self inflicted thing than one that people impose on each other. that being said, ppl talk about school, classes, upcoming tests and what they want to do later a Lot and it is a major focus, so u many find urself feeling bad about your grades. I can say that for the subjects you take, the departments are really good, especially English. I don't know about art but it would be most likely fine. The school has a lot of medics, so if you want to go down that route they know all about it. personally I find the environment really nice and friendly - so I think some of it is down to who you surround yourself with

Hey , i was just wondering
I have an offer for september but just as a question what is the social scene like at HB honestly? (ive seen mixed things)
Are girls willing to go out to parties (even though it is an academic school?)
Reply 18
hii most ppl are willing to go out to parties and lots balance their social lives with their academic lives really well (could be good prep for uni) but it really depends on who you become friends with - also quite important to not stay w one group during ur first weeks here
do you know whether u got in btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending