The Student Room Group

help getting into med school

hi, ok i got 4 A's in Chem, Maths, Physics and business, 3B's in Biol, English lit and English lang and 2 C's in spanish and ICT at GCSE.
Then i got A in chem
A in Physics
B in Maths (1 mark off an A)
and a C in psychology at AS. AND AM TAKING CHEM, PHYS AND MATHS AT A2

should i take a biol AS aswell.
i also work in boots and have taken a healthcare assistants course which means i am qualified to recognise, give advice on and sell medicines relationg to common ailments. i also did a week work experience in a care home. plus ukcat score
Do you think i could get into med school with theese results etc.
do you think i can get any offers? should i take AS biol aswell?
help please!!!
Reply 1
You will be able to meet the entry requirements of a number of med schools without biology. Though having it at AS will add a number more to the list of those you could apply to (see sig for details).

Do you think you will be able to handle the extra workload of doing biology AS, and still get AAA/AAB in the other 3 A-levels. If not, then doing biology will probably be more of a hinderance than a help
Reply 2
I dont know, i would prefer not to do biology at AS just because of the extra work and would prefer to concentrate on getting AAA at A2 but if it would help then i would.
do you think my work experiece etc. is good enough
will my work at boots in heathcare help?
i am thinking of applying to manchester, leeds, newcastle and somewhere else all of which i think dont require biology but i only got a B at GCSE, will this matter? what do you think my chances of getting an offer are?
Reply 3
I couldn't even remotely speculate as to whether you'd get an offer from anywhere (or even an interview). And I'm not going to check if you meet the minimum entry requirements for any of them (or if any want AS/A-level bio), because you can do that yourself if you read the wiki (see sig!!!!!!!)

Your work experience is good, and definately relevant (though you can never have too much w/e remember :wink: ). Remember though that it is more about what you can demonstrate (in both PS and interview) what you go out of the w/e than how much you did
Reply 4
ok well cool thx, i know i can meet the entry requirements grade wise but it just says plus work experience on them and im not sure if i have enough. My gf's dad is a doctor and i think he is going to try and get me some w/e in his hospital which will be good. i dont think i will do AS biol. I'm sure it will be better to get AAA than like ABB PLUS B at AS so i think i should just go for getting straight A's in Maths, chem and physics.
Reply 5
That's cool, like I say, you'd always be better off getting good grades in what you already are doing than risk doing worse but having bio.

Will definately be worthwhile for you if you can get some w/e with your gf's dad. Also might be worth volunteering a few afternoons in a nursing home, just to get as wide a range of experience as poss
Reply 6
ok cool, how would i go about that. Just ringing nursing homes and asking? i also did a masterclass in chemistry at newcastle uni for a day and a week in ireland at the uni of ulster. will that be good to put on ps?
Reply 7
Yeah just ring up and explain your situation, they are usually glad of the help
Reply 8
ok cool cheers for the help! any more help form any other people would be gladly accepted!
Reply 9
mooibeest
I dont know, i would prefer not to do biology at AS just because of the extra work and would prefer to concentrate on getting AAA at A2 but if it would help then i would.
do you think my work experiece etc. is good enough
will my work at boots in heathcare help?
i am thinking of applying to manchester, leeds, newcastle and somewhere else all of which i think dont require biology but i only got a B at GCSE, will this matter? what do you think my chances of getting an offer are?

cool, i have the same prob. so i made up this list of unis that dont require it:
Manchester, Dundee, Keele, Southampton, Glasgow, Bristol, Cardiff, Newcastle, Aberdeen, Leeds, st.Andrews, peninsula, Oxford, Cambridge and
Edinburgh.

some pretty good schools aih, so im sure u wont have to look at bio book this year, however if you notice all the stupid london unis require Bio so you can kiss london goodbye.
as for me i probably cant get into most of these because of the age factor except manchester,southampton, newcastle, and maybe some of the scottish unis which i don't really prefer.

Latest

Trending

Trending