The Student Room Group

Medical Science at University of Birmingham

Are there any students here that have taken medical science at Birmingham. Could you give opinions on the course? Whether you enjoyed it, what was taught, hours of labs, exams, free times etc
Original post by rainbowskylove
Are there any students here that have taken medical science at Birmingham. Could you give opinions on the course? Whether you enjoyed it, what was taught, hours of labs, exams, free times etc

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi there,

My experience on the course was great. The lecturers were (largely) faultless, the support systems were in place if you were struggling and the facilities within the medical school were good. The course content, at least when I was there, included general introductions to biomedical science (the foundations of research and the skills involved), cellular processes (biochemistry), anatomy and histology (including trips to the prosectorium), neuroscience, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, immunology, virology + bacteriology, renal, pharmacology etc. etc.

Essentially, the course equips you with the scientific skills to complete a research project in year 3 of the degree that will contribute a large proportion of the final degree classification. Years 1 and 2 are concerned with developing your knowledge of human physiology and disease to increasingly greater depth. The third year see's you select two modules of choice (e.g. neuroscience, ageing, cancer, immunology) and tackle some of the more cutting-edge topics in these areas, with reference mostly to primary sources (i.e. recently published scientific articles).

Course content was largely delivered in lecture during years 1 and 2. Most days of the week this means 9-5 lectures with an hour for lunch, apart from wednesday as the university considers wednesday afternoon to be used for extra-curricular pursuits. Interspersed between lectures are organised lab practicals that usually last 3 hours (although some can extend to a whole day), these are used to demonstrate the theory learnt in lecture and clarify an important principle or two. I found the amount you get out of the practicals is almost directly related to the effort you put into preparing for them (e.g. reviewing the relevant theory and/or techniques you will be using). The final year, at least for my chosen topics, introduced more practicals. These once again, solidify learnt material but also make you more proficient and confident in the lab so you are set to enter the lab in the second half of the final year to complete your research project. Final year exams in both of your chosen subjects occur after the research project and you have about 4 weeks to prepare for them, more if you finish writing your dissertation earlier than the hand-in deadline.

It certainly wasn't an easy degree, as far as I am aware the contact hours were comparable to the medics in year 1+2, while the third year was much more variable. Some modules had less lectures than others, however, the university emphasised that the workload of each should be considered equal (i.e. some require more self-directed learning). During the research project (that lasts 9 weeks) the amount of hours you put in in the lab will be dependent on how efficient you work and how you manage your time, but again, expect to be there Mon-Fri 9-5.

If you're interested in human biology and/or research, you will enjoy the course. Depending on how you take to it (with the support they have in place and the quality of the teaching - theres no reason you shouldn't take to it) the research project should become your 'little baby' and often, I didn't want to leave my 'little baby' on the evenings until I was satisfied I had covered my bases for the day.

11/10, would apply again.

Disclaimer: please see UoBirmingham's website as curriculum/course structure may have changed.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending