The Student Room Group

Modern Language Degree with my grades?

Hi guys,

Yep, I wanted to do a Modern Lang Degree perferably in Spanish or some other modern language. As I am very impressed with languages itself and the structures . I think I would love to spend the next few years of my life with languages.

Ok,back to the topic currently I got AAB in Accounting,Business and Economics in my AS results and I want to apply for a Russell Group University in the upcomming year.

I know my subjects are indeed a very weak combination which is why I will be taking Sociology and perhaps English/Geography as well to cover it up.

Now, would this be too much? unecessary subjects or is it just barely enough to get into Unis.?

Advices Please?
Original post by NoobandBad
Hi guys,

Yep, I wanted to do a Modern Lang Degree perferably in Spanish or some other modern language. As I am very impressed with languages itself and the structures . I think I would love to spend the next few years of my life with languages.

Ok,back to the topic currently I got AAB in Accounting,Business and Economics in my AS results and I want to apply for a Russell Group University in the upcomming year.

I know my subjects are indeed a very weak combination which is why I will be taking Sociology and perhaps English/Geography as well to cover it up.

Now, would this be too much? unecessary subjects or is it just barely enough to get into Unis.?

Advices Please?

Economics is respected A-level just as it History and English Lit are. So if I were you, I would just take English Lit. That way you have 2 facilitating subjects out of 5. If you were to pick 2, definitely pick English Lit and Geography. If you want to go to a RG uni, you at least want 3 out of 5 facilitating/traditional subjects. To some RG unis, Geography is classed as a science subject and pretty much all RG unis consider Sociology as a 4th subject that should not be taken "seriously" (continued to A2).
Reply 2
Hi guys,

Advices Please?

You do realise that to do an MFl degree you will need an A level in a foreign language, and most of the time in one of the languages you want to study?

I think that's what you need to worry about most, not picking up Sociology.
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Economics is respected A-level just as it History and English Lit are. So if I were you, I would just take English Lit. That way you have 2 facilitating subjects out of 5. If you were to pick 2, definitely pick English Lit and Geography. If you want to go to a RG uni, you at least want 3 out of 5 facilitating/traditional subjects. To some RG unis, Geography is classed as a science subject and pretty much all RG unis consider Sociology as a 4th subject that should not be taken "seriously" (continued to A2).

I find this facilitating subject quite amusing.Well forgive me for not knowing the subjects that Uni respects the most.

I certainly agree that Business and Accounting are relatively easy compared to other subjects, but I mean u still need to learn/practice/work well I cant go in and Score an A*. So i just find it amusing

Well, and my school never educated me on what subjects to pick and what not to, such as picking business economics and accounting. I've made the biggest mistake of my life though.

So in otherwords , should i just drop Business and Accounting since they are not even gonna count.

I'm fine I can re-do AS and AL in one year. I'll be taking Economics,Geography,Eng Lit and Biology then...
This is just sad.

Doing subjects that you are not interested in, just to get in a RG Uni

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm going crazy)
I find this facilitating subject quite amusing.Well forgive me for not knowing the subjects that Uni respects the most.

I certainly agree that Business and Accounting are relatively easy compared to other subjects, but I mean u still need to learn/practice/work well I cant go in and Score an A*. So i just find it amusing

Well, and my school never educated me on what subjects to pick and what not to, such as picking business economics and accounting. I've made the biggest mistake of my life though.

So in otherwords , should i just drop Business and Accounting since they are not even gonna count.

I'm fine I can re-do AS and AL in one year. I'll be taking Economics,Geography,Eng Lit and Biology then...
This is just sad.

Doing subjects that you are not interested in, just to get in a RG Uni

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm going crazy)

You sound quite standoffish. You mentioned you want to go to a Russell Group uni. I am only retelling the information on what THEY say. What I gave you was advice that would be good if you applied to a RG uni. What I said wasn't personal, simply diplomatic.

(replying to the what's in bold): this is why I never focused on RG uni. I applied to one, got accepted out of my 5 courses, but rejected it as the course was not right for me, despite me putting it on there - I simply did because I needed to fill in a gap.

Most RG uni say at least 2 out of your 3 A-levels should be facilitating subjects. I don't think it's because they are traditional but simply because doing 2 facilitating subjects at A-level is considered harder (because of subject, content and workload) than normal "soft" subjects like Business Studies or Photography for example.

If all those A-levels you said you want to do; pick at least 2 you actually enjoy. I dropped Sociology and picked up Philosophy because it was classed as my 4th subject. Decided to drop History and carry on with Philosophy(because teaching was awful with History) so I decided to carry Phil on. Despite achieving a B, I hated it because it was really difficult at A2, I preferred the AS topics to A2 and I skipped loads of lessons.

Also, I wasn't particularly enjoy English Language A-level but I did find it interesting. Enjoyment and finding something interesting is different I think. For instance, I don't find reading "interesting" (very broad concept, as I like what I read interesting) but I read it because i enjoy the act of reading which is why I took English Lit. I hated having to study the topic WW1 Lit, but I still enjoy reading as a whole, if that makes sense? So just pick subjects you are enjoy instead of interesting. Because if you go into a subject finding it interesting then it will break your will and enjoyment of the subject if you hate the topic or the way it's taught and etc.

Quick Reply

Latest