The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techno836
Hello,
I really don't get time to go on here anymore :frown:

But I thought I'd tell you.I've got an interview for medicine at Manchester :biggrin: :woo: :woo: :party1:

Not my first choice but it's a good start :-)

Congrats:biggrin:, I'm sure you'll get interviews from the others as well.
Original post by pizzanomics

What do you think about the UEA? I think it's such a nice place - I'd definitely consider applying there if I didn't live in Norwich :frown:

It seems like a great uni - they've got a good reputation in research and their NatSci course looks interesting. It was just a shame that all the concrete buildings looked a bit sad in the rain... :redface:

Where have you applied to uni? :smile:

Original post by Bude8
I'm trying to be considerate because there are quite a few people on my other corridor, so I can't have it too loud :cry:

Video will be coming when I feel like I can play one bit really well :lol:

edit: got my first complaint for being too loud :cry:

Haha, that's brilliant. :biggrin: (I get told off in my own house for being too loud!) Just wait till you're really good, then you can play mega loud and everyone will be dead impressed. :wink: You can always play with headphones though...? I shall look forward to the video. :tongue:
Original post by MangoFreak
It's a small call centre that surveys home-owners about home improvement. I do three hours in the evening of whatever days I choose to work (I think it was just that there were only two of us today, so we left early), calling numbers and asking people what their windows are made of, whether they have gas heating, etc. The people that work full time then take our surveys and use them to try to book appointments with people to look into home improvement (conservatories, windows, etc.) with the main company we work for.

It's a very informal environment; we tell them at the start of the week what days we'll work that week and then we have to stick to that, but when I started you just showed up whenever you wanted to (that changed once only one person showed up on a Saturday). I've been there two weeks and have already experienced one change in management; a person who's worked there since May said she's seen 6 new managers :tongue: I think the manager that started a few days after me is looking to be the final one who actually makes the place work properly, but maybe they've all been like that; I wouldn't know :tongue:

I get quite fearful that I won't get enough surveys one day and get fired (the last manager didn't care about the numbers which is why he was moved to a different department - the new guy has been relaying the head office's different attempts at solid number targets; currently 7 per hour, last time I was there 20 in a shift, the time before that 25), so I just fake a load of surveys, which is quite easy and undetectable :mmm: If they do find out it won't be for months; the appointment bookers have months of backlogged surveys to go through.

/Plan. you're sorted :wink:
Original post by drowninginsound
It seems like a great uni - they've got a good reputation in research and their NatSci course looks interesting. It was just a shame that all the concrete buildings looked a bit sad in the rain... :redface:

Where have you applied to uni? :smile:

Haha, that's brilliant. :biggrin: (I get told off in my own house for being too loud!) Just wait till you're really good, then you can play mega loud and everyone will be dead impressed. :wink: You can always play with headphones though...? I shall look forward to the video. :tongue:

I ordered the wrong jack so I can't use my headphones...

I'll try and buy the right cables today though :lol:

And yes, as a moral citizen, I shall wake up my neighbours at 8AM every Sunday morning with glorious guitar music to discourage idleness.

Can't remember if I linked this, but this is amazing. http://www.tylervigen.com/
Original post by Bude8

And yes, as a moral citizen, I shall wake up my neighbours at 8AM every Sunday morning with glorious guitar music to discourage idleness.

At least you can use headphones for guitar, can't imagine I'll be too popular wanting to play saxophone at uni! :colondollar: Ordering the wrong jack's easy done though, I used to do the sound tech at school and the number of times we got halfway through a concert and someone had to run back to find a different cable for something or other was just ridiculous :redface:

Also that website is amazing, amazing what statistics can 'prove' if you ask the right (or wrong) person :lol: Reminds me of AS critical thinking...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
At least you can use headphones for guitar, can't imagine I'll be too popular wanting to play saxophone at uni! :colondollar: Ordering the wrong jack's easy done though, I used to do the sound tech at school and the number of times we got halfway through a concert and someone had to run back to find a different cable for something or other was just ridiculous :redface:

Also that website is amazing, amazing what statistics can 'prove' if you ask the right (or wrong) person :lol: Reminds me of AS critical thinking...

Went out and bought a jack converter for my headphones and amp now :lol:

Wondering if it's worth getting an AUX to AUX cable so I can use my amp as speakers though...
Original post by Bude8

Well done. :rolleyes:

Oh, please do this. I actually wouldn't mind someone doing this to me, I can think of worse ways to be woken up. :lol:
Original post by drowninginsound
Well done. :rolleyes:

Oh, please do this. I actually wouldn't mind someone doing this to me, I can think of worse ways to be woken up. :lol:

They once woke me up by mowing the lawn at 7AM on a Sunday, I mean seriously, who does that? I'd at least like to be able to sleep in until 9 :lol:

Here's to hoping they'll like John Petrucci :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Went out and bought a jack converter for my headphones and amp now :lol:

Wondering if it's worth getting an AUX to AUX cable so I can use my amp as speakers though...

It surely would have been easier to just get a new cable? :tongue: Although is your converter a 'splitter' (can't remember the actual name :colondollar:) too so you can plug two sets of headphones into them? The ones we used to use you could!

Could do, up to you! That'd be one loud set of speakers :eek:

Spoiler

Original post by Bude8
Can't remember if I linked this, but this is amazing. http://www.tylervigen.com/

Wow those correlations are so weird!
Original post by tara8000
/Plan. you're sorted :wink:

A great deal of thought went into doing the fakery right :mmm:
[video="youtube;mZKrwJzGg0k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZKrwJzGg0k[/video]
I've just given Teenager Cancer Trust permission to use a photo of me on one of their future leaflets :redface:
Original post by Bude8
[video="youtube;mZKrwJzGg0k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZKrwJzGg0k[/video]

Is that a 23 minute song? Bloody hell
Original post by Red Fox
Is that a 23 minute song? Bloody hell

Yup, I think I'm about to be sucked into the Dream Theatre black hole :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Yup, I think I'm about to be sucked into the Dream Theatre black hole :lol:

You gonna try to learn to play it? Good luck:lol:
Original post by Red Fox
You gonna try to learn to play it? Good luck:lol:

LOL hell no! I'm still learning Glasgow Kiss which is gonna take a while. That song is really nice to listen to though :lol:
Original post by Bude8
LOL hell no! I'm still learning Glasgow Kiss which is gonna take a while. That song is really nice to listen to though :lol:

I'm seriously considering getting on the Bath hype now:tongue:. I haven't even visited though but everyone who has says it's amazing.
Original post by Red Fox
I'm seriously considering getting on the Bath hype now:tongue:. I haven't even visited though but everyone who has says it's amazing.

All about the bath hype train!! Go visit it ASAP!

Latest