The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emcat
Another history person! This is very exciting for me. Well done with your AS results btw :smile: I'm aiming for A*AB next year too.

Well History is an excellent subject, where are you hoping to go next year?
Reply 61
Original post by Elliott_Malik
Well History is an excellent subject, where are you hoping to go next year?

Edinburgh or Glasgow probably. You?
Slightly disappointed with my AS maths grade - got a low A because of getting lower grade than expected in C2. I was planning on studying chemistry at uni, for which maths is seen as really useful, but I'm predicted an A* in geography which I was originally going to drop - although I'm not bad at maths, and I was expecting to have got a higher mark, taking geography would be playing more to my strengths. I love human geography - but I'm not such a huge fan of physical geography - and I do like maths. My other subjects are biology (predicted an A*) and chemistry (predicted an A). What should I do???
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone else planning on studying law? And which unis are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 64
Original post by beautyviews
Exactly the same as me! It seems everyone knows exactly what they want to do

It really puts me in a muddle with my personal statement. All my friends have already started to write theirs lol. What A levels are you taking?
Original post by Dhibla
Anyone still undecided about what uni course they want to do, or is it just me?

Yes im the same!! All my friends know exactly what they want to do, it stresses me out ugh
Reply 66
Original post by Dhibla
Anyone still undecided about what uni course they want to do, or is it just me?

Me! Which is why I'll probably take a gap year to work and travel before I go off to uni. It will hopefully give me some thinking time before I spend £27,000 on a degree that I'm not sure on. D:
Looking forward to the year ahead, my AS grades were to me really good, even though to your guys standards they would be deemed quite low, however, they have really made me want to focus my next year on trying to prove everyone who believes i cant do well wrong.

Cant wait.
Reply 68
I'm not looking forward to year 13. I'm having to carry on with a subject I hate while also resitting the two AS units and hope for a B at the end of it all.
Reply 69
Original post by BradleyLawrence
Looking forward to the year ahead, my AS grades were to me really good, even though to your guys standards they would be deemed quite low, however, they have really made me want to focus my next year on trying to prove everyone who believes i cant do well wrong.

Cant wait.

I'm sure I saw you post them somewhere and I thought they were good. What did you get?
Original post by Katie97
I'm not looking forward to year 13. I'm having to carry on with a subject I hate while also resitting the two AS units and hope for a B at the end of it all.

What subject was it? :frown: I'm sure with time it'll get easier
Original post by Katie97
I'm sure I saw you post them somewhere and I thought they were good. What did you get?

I only done 3 AS subjects and lost interest in one of them halfway through the year and didnt bother revising

I got a B in Economics and a few marks away from a B in Geography aha
Original post by Dhibla
It really puts me in a muddle with my personal statement. All my friends have already started to write theirs lol. What A levels are you taking?

Same and I really need to start soon! I take geography, psychology, business and accounting. I really like psychology but can't see myself doing it at uni. What do you take? :tongue:
Original post by marykingggggg
Yes im the same!! All my friends know exactly what they want to do, it stresses me out ugh

Same here!
Hi guys, I want some advice. At GCSE I got 7 A*s 3A's and 2B's. This year at AS I did Biology, English Lit, Art and Chemistry and got BBCE in the same order. I want to go to a Russell group university and these grades aren't good enough. Originally I wanted to do a Biology degree but my college said my academic profile at AS wasn't strong enough to be accepted onto a Bio degree. I need good grades for 2 sciences to do a Bio degree and so these are my options :

1) Redo the one Chem exam that brought my A grade coursework down to an E grade overall and struggle through A2 Chem. This has the potential of me not getting a good grade overall in A2 meaning I couldn't go to a good uni

2) Do a psychology A level in one year as some uni's count
psychology as a second science. I would ditch chem.

3) Drop Chemistry and carry on with Art and bring that up to a B grade at A2 meaning I’d have a better chance at getting into a good uni. But an Art A level would mean I couldn’t do a Bio degree so I’d have to do an English Lit degree which I’m okay with but would prefer to do a Bio degree
4) Redo half my subjects- so carry on with English and Bio A2 but start two new AS’s and drop chem and art. This would mean staying on a third year to complete the two new subjects at A2 level. Staying at home another year is painful but could be worth it, seeing my friends leave without me would be hard.
Sorry, I’m really stressed. Thanks!
Original post by Katie97

Sorry to hear that you're feeling apprehensive about next year :console: . Is having to carry on with the subject you dislike not negotiable at all? I assume it's because you did better in it than you did in another subject. Do kick up a fuss if you can, at the end of the day this should not be anybody's decision other than yours. Now is not the time to have to be taking subjects that you no longer want to do. I can empathise completely as my school also has a policy of forcing students to drop the subject in which they achieve the lowest grade and it's caused a lot of kerfuffle and anxiety for my friends, some of whom are being asked to drop the subject that they wish to study at university. It sucks :frown:

Best of luck for next year, I hope this can be sorted out somehow :smile:
Original post by humblekingdom
Hi guys, I want some advice. At GCSE I got 7 A*s 3A's and 2B's. This year at AS I did Biology, English Lit, Art and Chemistry and got BBCE in the same order. I want to go to a Russell group university and these grades aren't good enough. Originally I wanted to do a Biology degree but my college said my academic profile at AS wasn't strong enough to be accepted onto a Bio degree. I need good grades for 2 sciences to do a Bio degree and so these are my options :

1) Redo the one Chem exam that brought my A grade coursework down to an E grade overall and struggle through A2 Chem. This has the potential of me not getting a good grade overall in A2 meaning I couldn't go to a good uni

2) Do a psychology A level in one year as some uni's count
psychology as a second science. I would ditch chem.

3) Drop Chemistry and carry on with Art and bring that up to a B grade at A2 meaning I’d have a better chance at getting into a good uni. But an Art A level would mean I couldn’t do a Bio degree so I’d have to do an English Lit degree which I’m okay with but would prefer to do a Bio degree
4) Redo half my subjects- so carry on with English and Bio A2 but start two new AS’s and drop chem and art. This would mean staying on a third year to complete the two new subjects at A2 level. Staying at home another year is painful but could be worth it, seeing my friends leave without me would be hard.
Sorry, I’m really stressed. Thanks!

I'd say option two or three. It depends what uni you want to go to really, if you can take Psychology then go with option two! I think struggling with Chemistry will affect your grades too much and re doing everything will just add extra unnecessary stress.
I'm kind of looking forward to next year but I'm worried that my anxiety is going to take another turn for the worse with the additional workload... then again hopefully my brain has got used to A Levels by now? Who knows. Bring on enrolment Tuesday!
Reply 78
Little Bit different this year round ;-) still to make some edits yet I think, depends how many users we get :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 79
New OP everybody

Latest