The Student Room Group

Quitting A Job

I started working at a resteraunt this summer when i got back from uni, cos I wasnt sure if i wanted to go back to uni or not.

About 2 weeks ago I decided I would, and was gonna hand in my notice this week (monday infact)

However since last week things have gone really downhill at work. I'm working in the kitchen doing basic cooking and some harder stuff, and when I worked a really busy night, I was nearly in tears by the end of it, just because it was soo soo busy and the rest of the kitchen people kept moaning and shouting at me but not helping! just standing round watching my struggle!

The managers do NO work at all, and in the daytime I pretty much end up doing everything myself even when its busy and its horrible!

Days that I specifically asked to have as holiday I've been put down to work, and I told them I didnt wanna work too many hours at the weekend, this weekend i;m down to work, friday sat, sun, mon and tuesday night!!! Thats a LOT!

So i'm supposed to work tonight, but I really dont wanna. I'm going back to uni in 2weeks, so some time off would be great!

Is it REALLY bad to phone up 4 hours before a shift and just say - I quit?

:s-smilie: I don't wanna pee them off too much or make it difficult, but recently they've been so horrible and works been so bad that it ends up making me stressed and feel like total rubbish!

Do I just quit now or hand in my notice and stick it out?

Also, if I do quit, whats the best way to do it, just ring up and say? If so, what do I say!?!

Thanks guys!!

xx
Reply 1
Hand in your notice, you don't want a bad reference
Reply 2
You hand in a notice, saying you regret to inform them that you are unable to work for them. It might be easier to just throw a sickie for one of the days, and get some personal work done. Its unbelievable what lengths employers will go to, to get rid of staff quickly so that they don't have to pay them.
Reply 3
I would work your notice period, which I imagine is probably a week? Two reasons for this: 1. You want a good reference and 2. If they owe you any money, breaking a contract is a reason for them not to pay you.
Reply 4
uh i feel your pain! im desperatly looking for a new job at uni because i dont want to go back to my current 1! they never tell me when i finish work... when i ask for a break after 4 and a half hours they go "just go home" so they dont have to pay me for going on a break!
they make me work till 2am then i have to walk home alone!

its got me PROPER depressed! i cannot sleep at night because i just dont wanna go in but i have to coz i have no money so i've gotta stick it out until i get another job!
Reply 5
I want to leave my job right now too, I got an interview for another place so hopefully I will get that.

But, I don't know when I have to give my notice in, whether its a day, a week or a month :confused:

I dont wanna ask as they may think I want to leave already (Which I do, but i've only been there a week lol). Btw I'm still on my probation period, so I'm assuming I can just give a day or a weeks notice?
If you don't need a reference from them just tell them you're not coming in again.
Reply 7
Miss.P
I want to leave my job right now too, I got an interview for another place so hopefully I will get that.

But, I don't know when I have to give my notice in, whether its a day, a week or a month :confused:

I dont wanna ask as they may think I want to leave already (Which I do, but i've only been there a week lol). Btw I'm still on my probation period, so I'm assuming I can just give a day or a weeks notice?

Normally it is a weeks notice if you've only just started. And even if you don't have to, giving a week is the nice thing to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending