The Student Room Group

HSPS - GCSE grades, interview + (TSA exam?)

Hi, so I just wanted to reach out and ask some questions, perhaps somebody could help?

I'm 16 and about to start my AS Levels (English Lit, Politics, Sociology and Religion). I recently got it into my head that I want to do a Human Social Political Science degree at Cambridge (Kings perhaps?). And was wondering about

A) How much GCSE grades matter (I'll probably get mostly B's)
B) What the TSA exam is
C) What kind of questions they ask at interview (IS IT REALLY SCARY!?)
D) And what I need alongside getting 3 A's/A*'s at A Level to boost the likelihood of getting in?
E) Which A Level should drop? Does this help?

My mum went to Cambridge and says that getting a place is often based on who you are as a person, your outlook, opinions etc (alongside perfect grades) but apparently they sometimes give people unconditional offers? I know a guy who got in to study Politics on 2 A's and a U! It's crazy. Was wondering how accurate what my mum is saying actually is?

Thank you so much
(and just to clarify, I go to a comprehensive school, if that matters much)
Original post by BlakeJones123
Hi, so I just wanted to reach out and ask some questions, perhaps somebody could help?

I'm 16 and about to start my AS Levels (English Lit, Politics, Sociology and Religion). I recently got it into my head that I want to do a Human Social Political Science degree at Cambridge (Kings perhaps?). And was wondering about

B) What the TSA exam is
D) And what I need alongside getting 3 A's/A*'s at A Level to boost the likelihood of getting in?

My mum went to Cambridge and says that getting a place is often based on who you are as a person, your outlook, opinions etc (alongside perfect grades) but apparently they sometimes give people unconditional offers? I know a guy who got in to study Politics on 2 A's and a U! It's crazy. Was wondering how accurate what my mum is saying actually is?

Thank you so much

A) GCSEs don't matter very much as long as you do exceptionally well in your A-Levels. Atleast one A* at GCSE would be good.
B) I'm not sure. I don't need to do this.
C) It's a very academic interview, look up Emmanuel College Interview on google and they will show you an interview for History
D) Nothing. A passion for what you want to do and readreadread.
E) I'm going to be blunt, your a levels are weak. You have ONE facilitating A-Level and normally those admitted have 2 or 3. English Literature is your strongest, do not drop this. I would drop Sociology.

Good luck.

B) What the TSA exam is

Thank you so much

A) GCSEs aren't vital, AS Levels are far more important. However, I'd be very surprised if someone on track for mostly Bs at GCSE was good enough to get 90%+ in their AS Levels.
B) The Cambridge website has all the information you need on the TSA, as well as practice papers for you to have a go. It's relatively straightforward, you just need to make sure you can answer in the time and not make simple mistakes. Most of the questions just test your logical reasoning - your ability to assess and summarise arguments, and analyse data.
C) Interviews are only scary because people get themselves worked up about them. They'll ask academic questions, as Jay said. For HSPS, make sure you're up to date with current affairs.
D) Grades, TSA and interview are the most important. You're personal statement should show evidence of you exploring your subject outside of what you learn in school (e.g. books, magazines). It's best to show you've thought about what you've read - depth, not breadth is important in a PS.
E) As Jay said, you might want to keep English. Other than that, I'd say drop the one you enjoy least.

Your Mum's outlook on admissions sounds slightly outdated, although it's possible she worded it badly (or you did here). Your outlook and opinions don't matter much, as long as you can argue for them well..
Original post by PythianLegume
A) GCSEs aren't vital, AS Levels are far more important. However, I'd be very surprised if someone on track for mostly Bs at GCSE was good enough to get 90%+ in their AS Levels.
B) The Cambridge website has all the information you need on the TSA, as well as practice papers for you to have a go. It's relatively straightforward, you just need to make sure you can answer in the time and not make simple mistakes. Most of the questions just test your logical reasoning - your ability to assess and summarise arguments, and analyse data.
C) Interviews are only scary because people get themselves worked up about them. They'll ask academic questions, as Jay said. For HSPS, make sure you're up to date with current affairs.
D) Grades, TSA and interview are the most important. You're personal statement should show evidence of you exploring your subject outside of what you learn in school (e.g. books, magazines). It's best to show you've thought about what you've read - depth, not breadth is important in a PS.
E) As Jay said, you might want to keep English. Other than that, I'd say drop the one you enjoy least.

Your Mum's outlook on admissions sounds slightly outdated, although it's possible she worded it badly (or you did here). Your outlook and opinions don't matter much, as long as you can argue for them well..

"As Jay said," Woo ;D
Thanks for the advice! I'll reconsider my A-Level options, I still have time to change them before term starts. All good to know.
Thanks for the advice! I'll reconsider my A-Level options, I still have time to change them before term starts. All good to know.

Private message me?
Original post by PythianLegume

Hi, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. Regarding for point about somebody targeted B's at GCSE not being "good enough" to get 90%+ at AS level, I think it's slightly more complicated than that. Ultimately, people peak academically at different times AND exam results can often be down to individual circumstance at the time. Just saying, sometimes **** happens (I was actually targeted all A's at GCSE). Thanks again for advice
Hi, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. Regarding for point about somebody targeted B's at GCSE not being "good enough" to get 90%+ at AS level, I think it's slightly more complicated than that. Ultimately, people peak academically at different times AND exam results can often be down to individual circumstance at the time. Just saying, sometimes **** happens (I was actually targeted all A's at GCSE). Thanks again for advice

Well if there are mitigating circumstances, then that's a completely different thing. But given that many people with better GCSEs than you spectacularly crash at AS level, I would be surprised like I said. It's not impossible, merely improbable.
Reply 9

Thank you so much

I shan't repeat the other answers which are accurate.
Just to say the minimum offer is A*AA and if anybody got in with AAU it was probably several years ago and because of extenuating circumstances-like having their appendix out on the day of the exam.

Unconditional offers are people who apply post-qualification having already got A*AA or indeed usually better.

The exception is Christ's college which until recently gave out about a third of its offers as EE. These usually went to students who had achieved so ridiculously well at their AS levels that A*AA was an insult and they were confidently predicted A*A*A*. Most of them go on to get firsts.
There is no way that somebody whose profile looked a bit suspect would get one of these offers.

To repeat-most people who get all Bs do not go on to exceed 90% at AS. The exceptions are people who wake up very late to the need to work & those with major extenuating circumstance- like being in hospital for months. Somebody who has a poor profile will generally have to perform above averagely well to allay fears that their AS are lucky rather than their GCSEs were unlucky.
The interview is not a personality or wealth test (either way) its about how you think academically. They couldn't care whatyour opinions are only how you respond to intellectual challenge.
(edited 9 years ago)

B) What the TSA exam is

Thank you so much

Hi, I am just going into year 13 (at a comprehensive school) and am also looking into applying for HSPS. At GCSE I got 2 A*'s, 6 A's and 3 B's. This year I have AABB (though I am getting one of the papers with a B re-marked and suspect that it will go up; as it is my best subject). My average for AS is 89% (the Cambridge average is 90% [which means there are people who apply with both higher and lower than that]). I have 100% for one of my subjects and 90% for another. Generally, if you have an average of 85% or above you should get an interview. So, regarding GCSE's I wouldn't worry about it; I did well being in a similar position to you with GCSE's. If you make it known to your teachers that Cambridge is your goal, they should really support you (essentially all my teachers at did). Things like the school reference are very important, so ensure that you try your best to impress teachers with extra reading and work throughout the year and the reference should be good. Also, Cambridge tend not to care about extra curriculum activities and volunteering etc; as it does not measure your academic ability. Fundamentally, if you get an interview, it is you as a person they want to know, and your chances of getting in depend on whether they want to teach you.

I'm not sure about interview, but if I get one I can let you know how it went! Also, not all colleges sit tests. Here is a link to the colleges that sit tests, just click onto 'entry requirements' and then 'admissions tests and written work':

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/hsps/

Also, I would probably add another 'facilitating' subject in the place of any but English Lit. Facilitating include: English Lit, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Languages, History and Geography. If your strengths lay in essay writing, I'd do history. If you are comforted by revision, have a good(ish) writing style, revise enough and find it relatively easy to understand key concepts and have the ability to link things well, then Geography is a good option. I did not really enjoy physical geography much but loved human geography and was able to get 100% in both exams. So, for me it was a very good option and is also relevant to HSPS.

I hope this helps!! And, just out of interest, how did you do in your GCSE's?
(edited 9 years ago)
By 85% do you mean overall AS percentage or for the subject I'm applying for?
I'm applying for HSPS

GCSE grades: 3 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs
Alevel grades: AABB (getting B in history remarked)
Predicted grades: A*A*A

190/200 in Politics
99/120 in English
127/160 in Economics
66/100 in History

What's the probability of me getting an interview given poor UMS in history?

Original post by Amanda096
Hi, I am just going into year 13 (at a comprehensive school) and am also looking into applying for HSPS. At GCSE I got 2 A*'s, 6 A's and 3 B's. This year I have AABB (though I am getting one of the papers with a B re-marked and suspect that it will go up; as it is my best subject). My average for AS is 89% (the Cambridge average is 90% [which means there are people who apply with both higher and lower than that]). I have 100% for one of my subjects and 90% for another. Generally, if you have an average of 85% or above you should get an interview. So, regarding GCSE's I wouldn't worry about it; I did well being in a similar position to you with GCSE's. If you make it known to your teachers that Cambridge is your goal, they should really support you (essentially all my teachers at did). Things like the school reference are very important, so ensure that you try your best to impress teachers with extra reading and work throughout the year and the reference should be good. Also, Cambridge tend not to care about extra curriculum activities and volunteering etc; as it does not measure your academic ability. Fundamentally, if you get an interview, it is you as a person they want to know, and your chances of getting in depend on whether they want to teach you.

I'm not sure about interview, but if I get one I can let you know how it went! Also, not all colleges sit tests. Here is a link to the colleges that sit tests, just click onto 'entry requirements' and then 'admissions tests and written work':

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/hsps/

Also, I would probably add another 'facilitating' subject in the place of any but English Lit. Facilitating include: English Lit, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Languages, History and Geography. If your strengths lay in essay writing, I'd do history. If you are comforted by revision, have a good(ish) writing style, revise enough and find it relatively easy to understand key concepts and have the ability to link things well, then Geography is a good option. I did not really enjoy physical geography much but loved human geography and was able to get 100% in both exams. So, for me it was a very good option and is also relevant to HSPS.

I hope this helps!! And, just out of interest, how did you do in your GCSE's?
Original post by Jackgill
I'm applying for HSPS

GCSE grades: 3 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs
Alevel grades: AABB (getting B in history remarked)
Predicted grades: A*A*A

190/200 in Politics
99/120 in English
127/160 in Economics
66/100 in History

What's the probability of me getting an interview given poor UMS in history?

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you! I got my B in Politics remarked and it went up to an A so have faith. With regards to interview- someone at my college got an interview (and is now a student at Cambridge) who resat their entire AS year after getting really bad results (C's/D's), so as long as you've got a strong statement + do okay in the admissions test I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, they're worried more about predicted grades than AS grades because some sixth forms aren't even doing AS's, so it's unfair to use them as a marker of your capability (if that makes sense?). :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending