The Student Room Group

Doing a 3rd year

So I've seen quite a few threads about people not getting what they need to get into uni and asking about doing a 3rd year, I've been through this having got CCDE at AS and then CDD (Maths, IT, Chemistry) at A2 last year and missing out on my uni offer.

I resat this year and worked hard right from the beginning and managed to finish with A*A*B so doing a 3rd year isn't the end of the world and if you're willing to put the effort in then there's no reason why you can't achieve good grades.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions about what it's like to do a 3rd year then I'd be more than happy to answer them. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesRobertson
So I've seen quite a few threads about people not getting what they need to get into uni and asking about doing a 3rd year, I've been through this having got CCDE at AS and then CDD (Maths, IT, Chemistry) at A2 last year and missing out on my uni offer.

I resat this year and worked hard right from the beginning and managed to finish with A*A*B so doing a 3rd year isn't the end of the world and if you're willing to put the effort in then there's no reason why you can't achieve good grades.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions about what it's like to do a 3rd year then I'd be more than happy to answer them. :smile:

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Did you have to go to classes?
What subjects were these??

And did you re-do particular modules or the whole thing?
Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it

I agree with this however I'm just showing people that doing bad at A2 first time round is not something to be upset by because you can turn it round like I managed to :smile:
Original post by flygirl64
Did you have to go to classes?
What subjects were these??

And did you re-do particular modules or the whole thing?

I attended lessons as normal 4.5 hours a week at my college and revision sessions every wednesday, also did about 3-4 hours per day revision in free periods and at home

Subjects where Maths, IT and Chemistry

I resat all the second year modules and 1 AS module for my Chemistry
I agree with this however I'm just showing people that doing bad at A2 first time round is not something to be upset by because you can turn it round like I managed to :smile:

:smile:
How did you apply to UCAS without college aiding you? Unless you weren't an external student?
Were you scared that when you applied to your choices on UCAS, they'd reject you this year? (Because I'm seriously scared of that) or your course wouldn't be available?
Original post by Youni-chan
How did you apply to UCAS without college aiding you? Unless you weren't an external student?
Were you scared that when you applied to your choices on UCAS, they'd reject you this year? (Because I'm seriously scared of that) or your course wouldn't be available?

I attended college, my predicted grades were BBC and I managed to get offers from Heriot-Watt, Northumbria, Leeds met and York st john, I am now going to do economics at Northumbria because I really like the uni but I'm sure If I'd gone through Adjustment I could have went to a more "prestigious" university

No question, but congrats - that's an amazing achievement!
I attended lessons as normal 4.5 hours a week at my college and revision sessions every wednesday, also did about 3-4 hours per day revision in free periods and at home

Obviously you did all exams in june? So we are talking 5+ exams in June right??

My dumbass sister got CCE in Maths Economics and Psychology and she doesn't want to retake because she got clearing into essex but i think she should retake .
Original post by Brit_Miller
No question, but congrats - that's an amazing achievement!

Thanks! I have the student room to be thankful for really, seeing the amazing results last year on the Results day thread really motivated me and all the support in the sub-forums is great :smile:
I did a similar thing but resat my AS's instead little bit of advice there, if you resit AS year instead of A2 you will have better predicted grades and be able to get into better university's.
Obviously you did all exams in june? So we are talking 5+ exams in June right??

My dumbass sister got CCE in Maths Economics and Psychology and she doesn't want to retake because she got clearing into essex but i think she should retake .

Yep 7 exams it wasn't that bad, If your sister is happy with essex then that is great, If she thinks she would be happier retaking and applying to other uni's then that's also a good option
Yep 7 exams it wasn't that bad, If your sister is happy with essex then that is great, If she thinks she would be happier retaking and applying to other uni's then that's also a good option

What are you planning to study at Uni now then?
What are you planning to study at Uni now then?

Economics :smile:
Doing a 3rd year is not the end of the world be it in AS or A2 year....i majorly fudged up my AS year originally, spent too much time at work, not enough revising among other things going on and as it was a fairly decent college they wanted minimum of D grades from three subjects before they let you continue onto A2. I got DEEU i was a little distraught to say the least as the college basically said you no longer have a place next year but my 100% attendence and my commitment to work harder got me back but then they had no restart places so had to carry on the D which was Eng Lit and they allowed me to continue to A2 maths on the condition that i resat the whole AS along side because i was 1 mark off a D but needed another subject as i needed 3 subjects for Nursing so i fought them to restart physics again which was the other E, fast forward to the next results i'd improved but had to stay for that final subject so did the A2 modules for Maths again (i really don't do that well in exams!!) continued physics and picked up an AS, Even with all this and only being predicted BCD i got an offer for Adult Nursing from Manchester University without an interview !!! I was shocked and pleased !!! I didn't end up going but i could have !!!! Now i have the job of my dreams and the third year has not adversely affected anything!!

Basically all i'm saying is if you are willing to work hard for what you want then you can get there !!

what college did you attend cause my sixth form wont allow me to attend class but i can resit the exams there.

thank you for starting this thread i also received my A2 grades on thursday and i did not get the grades i wanted and i am really disappointed in myself and felt lost. thank you for the motivation and congratz on getting those grades. hope i good do as well as you in a years time :smile:
Does it limit what universities you apply to considering you have to resit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lost_hope
what college did you attend cause my sixth form wont allow me to attend class but i can resit the exams there.

Hartlepool Sixth Form College

Quick Reply

Latest