The Student Room Group

AS Level results & History at uni

I unfortunately didn't get the AS level results I hoped for, getting AABD:

A French
A History
B Biology
D Chemistry (which I'm dropping)

Does anyone know of any universities this will be a big issue with History with, or any resources about AS level requirements as I can't seem to find any?

As I'm really worried the D will let me down, and also whether they'll think I've gone a bit downhill since GCSE (10A*s,1A,1B)?

Many thanks :smile:
A D in Chemistry should not hold so much weight that it would be an instant rejection, from top universities. Having said that, History is very competitive and all applicant data will be considered. I would personally apply to a few top universities, and a few good, but not top 20 universities just to be safe.
Reply 2
It's difficult to say; in terms of UCAS points, my AS grade average was the same as yours (AACC). However by the time I applied to university, I'd already completed a full A Level (Citizenship Studies) and attained an A* at the end of it (after getting a C at AS). I was predicted A* History and A Politics.

It is possible that the D could be held against you, especially on History - it is one of of the most competitive degree programmes you can apply for. When I applied for History the first time around, I received conditional offers from York (AAA), Liverpool (AAB), Manchester (AAA) and Reading (can't remember) but was rejected by Durham (A*AA). Having said that, it is in an unrelated subject and one you are dropping. Many universities will not consider your GCSEs as long as your A Level performance is respectable - mine are awful! If anything, good GCSEs will work in your favour.

Particularly if you think you could get a projected grade of A in Biology or A* in History, I think you stand a very good chance still when applying for top courses, though you should make sure to have a killer personal statement. Make sure you pick a mix of courses though - don't just go for Russell Group across the board. When I applied, I chose three top universities (Manchester, Durham and York), one good (Liverpool) and one insurance (Reading). I'd probably suggest doing something similar, perhaps with an extra good and one less top if you're concerned.
Original post by ffionhanathomas

A French
A History
B Biology

Does anyone know of any universities this will be a big issue with History with, or any resources about AS level requirements as I can't seem to find any?

As I'm really worried the D will let me down, and also whether they'll think I've gone a bit downhill since GCSE (10A*s,1A,1B)?

Most good unis won't be too bothered by a D in a science if you are applying for History.

I only know of one uni - UCL - insisting on a fourth AS and I believe they only want a pass in it.

You will appear to have slipped a bit in the transition from GCSE to AS. I don't think this will stop you getting offers but neither are you likely to get any favours. Unis are likely to want to see it as a temporary blip rather than a trend and make you prove your ability.
Thank you all very, very much for your help, much appreciated and hope you're all enjoying your summer! :smile:
Original post by ffionhanathomas

A French
A History
B Biology

You haven't at all, from what I understand there is a massive step up in Science from GCSE to A-Level and its not like that D was in History. Warwick I know ask for a B or C in the AS Level you drop for some courses but its not clear on their history department website. And as Cambridge ask for UMS scores you probally wouldn't have the most competitive application but other universities are unlikely to care.
Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated :-)

I have received emails from Cardiff, Leicester, Manchester and Nottingham so far, after enquiring about AS results and explaining my situation, and all have been positive (thankfully!) replies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone who reads this in the future who is in the same/similar situation that I was, the outcome was -

Offers from: Exeter, Sheffield, Birmingham, and Cardiff
Rejection after interview from: Oxford

:smile:
Dont worry one bit !!!
I have an BCC/e at AS but also 5 offers for BBB to AAB requiring History BAs including an Unconditional for one that normally asks for AAB (am doing retakes though)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending