The Student Room Group

Could a whole centre's papers be marked wrong?

So there are roughly 46 students at my college taking philosophy (AQA), and not a single one got an A. A B which was 2 UMS into the grade was one of the highest if not the highest in the year (according to the teacher), but the majority of students achieved Ds and Es, pupils who were predicted As and Bs. I'm getting my paper returned and then hopefully remarked, but does anyone know of the likelihood that my grade could change, due to a marking error? I'm relatively familiar with how the marking system works, in that an entire centre's papers go to one marker, but I'm very sceptical that a whole cohort could be marked incorrectly without anyone noticing? Our college normally gets good results, with As through to Es, and our teacher is very experienced. Does anyone know of a case where all the papers were marked incorrectly? (Just so at least for now I can live in hope..!)
Reply 1
Original post by notcoolnerd
Does anyone know of a case where all the papers were marked incorrectly? (Just so at least for now I can live in hope..!)

Yes. If the centre gets a decent number (haven't got the rules to hand but 8 rings a bell) remarked and the majority change significantly (3 raw marks rings a bell) then you get the lot re-marked for free with the agreement that no grades will go down.

P.s. Sometimes they even act sooner. We only had 8 Law students one year, we had only had 2 remarked but both changed by about 15% of the max UMS and AQA rang up and offered to do the lot.
(edited 9 years ago)
So there are roughly 46 students at my college taking philosophy (AQA), and not a single one got an A. A B which was 2 UMS into the grade was one of the highest if not the highest in the year (according to the teacher), but the majority of students achieved Ds and Es, pupils who were predicted As and Bs. I'm getting my paper returned and then hopefully remarked, but does anyone know of the likelihood that my grade could change, due to a marking error? I'm relatively familiar with how the marking system works, in that an entire centre's papers go to one marker, but I'm very sceptical that a whole cohort could be marked incorrectly without anyone noticing? Our college normally gets good results, with As through to Es, and our teacher is very experienced. Does anyone know of a case where all the papers were marked incorrectly? (Just so at least for now I can live in hope..!)

Yes, it is possible. The likelihood is low since cases like these are rare, but something like this (more extreme actually) happened to be GCSE Geography class.
Original post by Compost
Yes. If the centre gets a decent number (haven't got the rules to hand but 8 rings a bell) remarked and the majority change significantly (3 raw marks rings a bell) then you get the lot re-marked for free with the agreement that no grades will go down.

P.s. Sometimes they even act sooner. We only had 8 Law students one year, we had only had 2 remarked but both changed by about 15% of the max UMS and AQA rang up and offered to do the lot.

Oh wow okay! Did everyone's change? And did you find out what had happened exactly?
Original post by Chlorophile
Yes, it is possible. The likelihood is low since cases like these are rare, but something like this (more extreme actually) happened to be GCSE Geography class.

Well at least I know it's possible! Thank you
Yup AQA English at my school have screwed up the whole batch when our head marker couldn't mark...
Reply 6
Oh wow okay! Did everyone's change? And did you find out what had happened exactly?

I'm the exams officer. I'd say we get a whole cohort re-mark on a paper every 1-2 years.
Original post by Compost
I'm the exams officer. I'd say we get a whole cohort re-mark on a paper every 1-2 years.

Would you say it's unusual to have a cohort of 46 where none get an A, who were predicted As?
Reply 8
Would you say it's unusual to have a cohort of 46 where none get an A, who were predicted As?

Too little info really to say, but fairly unusual but not unheard of. It's easy to see when you have a dodgy paper from the school's perspective but you don't always get the re-mark you want, even if it goes up. In the days when AS English Lit had 3 units, we had a class where several of them got full UMS on units 1 and 3 and failed unit 2. The Unit 2 re-mark took them up to a D or a C but that still wasn't what they were expecting.
Original post by Compost
Too little info really to say, but fairly unusual but not unheard of. It's easy to see when you have a dodgy paper from the school's perspective but you don't always get the re-mark you want, even if it goes up. In the days when AS English Lit had 3 units, we had a class where several of them got full UMS on units 1 and 3 and failed unit 2. The Unit 2 re-mark took them up to a D or a C but that still wasn't what they were expecting.

Just an an update, one of my classmates sent their paper back for a priority remark without consulting anyone. They were expecting an A originally and got an E in the exam. They dropped 18 marks and went to a U.
I've been advised not to remark, as it seems this is a warning from AQA not to try and remark. Could there be some form of politics going on? Firstly how could an examiner be so wrong as to give 18 unwarranted marks. And secondly, how could a student who should have got an A, get a U?
Myself and my teacher have read my paper, and she thinks I could potentially pick up marks but the risk is just too great as I'm incredibly close to the grade below, so unfortunately I won't be remarking.
Just an an update, one of my classmates sent their paper back for a priority remark without consulting anyone. They were expecting an A originally and got an E in the exam. They dropped 18 marks and went to a U.
I've been advised not to remark, as it seems this is a warning from AQA not to try and remark. Could there be some form of politics going on? Firstly how could an examiner be so wrong as to give 18 unwarranted marks. And secondly, how could a student who should have got an A, get a U?
Myself and my teacher have read my paper, and she thinks I could potentially pick up marks but the risk is just too great as I'm incredibly close to the grade below, so unfortunately I won't be remarking.

Gosh that's awful! So sorry for you man :frown:

Was there only one person who got their paper remarked? (I'm in a class who did AQA PHIL too)
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Gosh that's awful! So sorry for you man :frown:

Was there only one person who got their paper remarked? (I'm in a class who did AQA PHIL too)

We've had news back that two other papers were remarked and went up a grade. I've asked my teacher if this could have an impact on her decision to advise me not to remark, and am awaiting a response. Alas, I feel retaking is inevitable, however unhappy I am about it! :frown::frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest