What can be done against Assad now?

xx
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Assad is a good man.
Reply 2
Original post by sbzk101
So the civil war in Syria is still raging, and none of the atrocities committed by Assad have gone away. Now, with ISIS on the loose, is it likely that Western nations will stop pushing for Assad's removal because he provides 'stability' against ISIS, and because he's fighting against their common enemy (ISIS)?

atrocities? got any proof? don't here you complaining about Israeli atrocities towards the Palestinians who ALSO bombed Syria on 3 occasions in 2013.
Reply 3
Iraq is such a mess. Same with Syria, just a dictator to keep control.

I say leave them at it, why should we intervene in their problems.
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sbzk101
The Israelis are carrying out disproportionate retribution against the Palestinians, and the scale of violence they use is way out of order. But that isn't relevant to the discussion here. What proof do you want, exactly?

I want proof of the 'atrocities' he has committed. a video of his army committing a crime would be nice.
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm fairly sure Syria is Russia's bit. We came close to doing something when it turned out the rebels used the chemical weapons, I honestly don't want to go into there. As for ISIS, I think we're fine re-enacting the X Wing bombing run sequence from Star Wars.
Reply 8
Honestly all we can do now is hope the lizard people stop financing the Assad regime, that way the thermonuclear moon weapons of the tortoise people can lead an effective resistance, on the road to a paradise where the people of Syria are united in the one true God (Tortoisia)

Amen
Given the mess that getting rid of Saddam Hussein Caused, we should just leave it be, if anything we should be stopping the rebels to try to maintain at least some stability.
The western populations also have no interest in getting in another long war in the middle easy after Iraq and Afghanistan.
The west stands to gain nothing from opposing Assad, so why will it get involved? It has plenty of reason not to get involved:

Tampers in Iraq on trumped up claims: severe instability

rebellion in Libya: instability

rebellion in Egypt: instability

rebellion in Ukraine: instability (although not on the same scale)

tampering in Afghanistan: instability, although not that bad really

(Much) lesser of two evils currently. I don't think Assad is a priority, in fact, he's actively trying to stop the IS. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished eventually but any help we can get in stopping these barbarians is a positive.
Assad's crimes are unforgivable and he admitted to holding a stockpile of chemical weapons. That the rebels in 2013 sadly were infested by Islamists is testament to the fact that it was a mistake for the west not to intervene early as per Libya.
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Put a bullet in his head. And his wife.

Original post by Milo95
Assad is a good man.

What have you been smoking?
Reply 14
Assad is one of the good guys in this (just like Stalin during WW2).

If he is taken out now, the country will be even worse off, because ISIS will just take over.

Original post by Rakas21
Assad's crimes are unforgivable and he admitted to holding a stockpile of chemical weapons. That the rebels in 2013 sadly were infested by Islamists is testament to the fact that it was a mistake for the west not to intervene early as per Libya.

But Libya is almost in as much mess as Syria and Iraq.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by No Man
Assad is one of the good guys in this (just like Stalin during WW2).

If he is taken out now, the country will be even worse off, because ISIS will just take over.

But Libya is almost in as much mess as Syria and Iraq.

I agree that it's too late to take Assad now but that does not excuse the appeasement attitudes which allowed the rise of ISIS.

Libya away from the coastal provinces has been essentially run by various tribes and is especially lawless in the south but at any rate to suggest it's anywhere near as bad suggests that your not aware of the sheer devastation in Syria. I'd also question whether you think Gadaffi slaughtering rebels like Assad pre-2013 (when the FSA was not a terrorist group but contained a lot of genuine rebels) is really less preferable to todays outcome of instability but nothing that approaches the warcrimes committed by ISIS and Assad.

This is just how bad things are in Syria.

http://time.com/48294/syria-economy-30-years-unrwa/

I know many people think it's not our problem but as moral people, do you really think it's right that we stood by while this happened.
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
I agree that it's too late to take Assad now but that does not excuse the appeasement attitudes which allowed the rise of ISIS.

Libya away from the coastal provinces has been essentially run by various tribes and is especially lawless in the south but at any rate to suggest it's anywhere near as bad suggests that your not aware of the sheer devastation in Syria. I'd also question whether you think Gadaffi slaughtering rebels like Assad pre-2013 (when the FSA was not a terrorist group but contained a lot of genuine rebels) is really less preferable to todays outcome of instability but nothing that approaches the warcrimes committed by ISIS and Assad.

This is just how bad things are in Syria.

http://time.com/48294/syria-economy-30-years-unrwa/

I know many people think it's not our problem but as moral people, do you really think it's right that we stood by while this happened.

I was referring to the situation in Benghazi, Tripoli, etc,which is pretty much chaos at the moment.

And Assad and Gadaffi slaughtering rebels is more preferable to the current outcome situations in Libya and Syria.
What is your opinion of Sisi? Because he isn't that different to Gadaffi in terms of slaughtering rebels.
(edited 9 years ago)
wasn't asaad the bad guy in Call of duty modern warfare 2? Just beat the campaign and he'l be dealt with
Original post by No Man
I was referring to the situation in Benghazi, Tripoli, etc,which is pretty much chaos at the moment.

And Assad and Gadaffi slaughtering rebels is more preferable to the current outcome situations in Libya and Syria.
What is your opinion of Sisi? Because he isn't that different to Gadaffi in terms of slaughtering rebels.

With regards to SISI it remains to be seen whether he's a new dictator or allows free and fair elections simply with non-secular parties banned. That would not be ideal but a secular semi-democracy is probably preferable to an Islamic State or a tyrant.

Can't agree with you there. Syria is in ruins and as bad as things are in Libya, it's not comparable.
I think Assad and Gaddaffi are more innocent than guilty. They should have stayed.. and Saddam tooI don't believe for a second West's interests have anything to do with Democracy or bettering the lives of those who live there. All about resources and securing Israel's security.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending