The Student Room Group

Are self deprecating jokes a turn off?

By this I mean jokes that criticise yourself (e.g. ones that portray you as weak, stupid, not well endowed etc.)

I use self-deprecating humour sometimes and was wondering whether it's generally a bad thing if you're looking for a relationship with women.
Reply 1
I think there is a line. Self-deprecating humour is fine in itself but if you use it often it can give the impression of self-esteem issues, which doesn't come off as attractive.
Not a turn off in the sense that you can laugh at yourself and make fun of yourself, but you have to get it right. Also, i wouldn't tell any about having a tiny D - as firstly it's not true and second it would be off-putting to chicks lol
Original post by Swanbow
I think there is a line. Self-deprecating humour is fine in itself but if you use it often it can give the impression of self-esteem issues, which doesn't come off as attractive.

This.

Also, it can turn on by the other party joining and getting really personal, even if you don't want it to be. But you can give the impression that you're someone that can be walked on and people will take advantage of that.
As long as it stays on the "joke" side & doesn't seem like a pity party, I think self depreciating humour is perfectly fine. It only annoys me if it starts to seem like they're using it to fish for compliments.
Reply 5
Depends on the person making the joke really and how the line is delivered, also If the audience is not finding it awkward but can also make their own jokes in the process it's all fine. With women I actually think for me anyway the response is usually positive although not all my lines are self depreciating nor would it be heavily self critical there has to be a line.
Once in a while is fine but often..well that's quite awkward and stupid.
Original post by Autistic Merit
By this I mean jokes that criticise yourself (e.g. ones that portray you as weak, stupid, not well endowed etc.)

I use self-deprecating humour sometimes and was wondering whether it's generally a bad thing if you're looking for a relationship with women.

Hell no. Generally the ability to take the piss out of oneself is seen as a sign of inner confidence.

Obviously don't overdo it to the point where she can't tell if you're joking.
Original post by Autistic Merit

I generally find that kind of humor pretty funny and I often use it myself. However, I do only like it if I can tell the person is joking and doesn't actually believe he is stupid/weak etc.
No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending